User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My New 2018 Platinum Crewmax

Long time lurker finally picked one up last week!!
Already one road trip to Tucson completed.
Thought i'd share my thoughts with other folks in the market.

Requirements - Extended crew cab, tow capacity (for toys), reliability (long term), ~$50K
My choices were - Tundra, F150 Lariat, F250 Lariat, Denali HD (used)

F250 eliminated because of general styling, 6.2 power stroke diesel was loud, price and just generally did not fit me.
Denali HD was price alone - really loved this truck. Not a big fan of GM dash, or gear shift, but ride, traditional styling, power really won me over. Dealer(s) would just not negotiate.

Down to F150 Lariat (MSRP $62K) vs Tundra Platinum (MSRP $55K)
F150 ....
Positives -
1. The F150 definitely has a lot of gizmos and drives/rides really well.
2. The 3.5 ECO plus 10 spd transmission - very smooth.
3. Driver comfort was 10. Rear passenger comfort a little stiff, but good ventilation, etc.
4. Loved the tow package and easy trailer back up.
Negatives -
1. Relative newness of 3.5 ECO and 10spd - speaks to reliability and fear of recalls/warranty issues.
2. Without going into detail - false advertising of dealer and Ford in general (esp. tow ratings). Transmission issues reported with excessive towing (friends/forums).
3. Horrible dealer experiences.
4. Upfront drop in price - makes me question value of vehicle.
5. Lack of rear climate control or rear seat recline.

Tundra ....
Positives
1. I've had prior experiences abroad with Toyota Hi-lux and land cruisers - something about the Tundra had a bit of familiarity (even though the Tundra is undoubtedly American!).
2. Ride/comfort/rear passenger room.
3. Fantastic dealer experience with Big Two of Chandler, AZ.
4. 10 years on the same engine and power train (good and bad but i take it as reliability).
5. Power rear window - nice!
6. Standardized tow capacity - we know exactly what the standard is.
7. Price - and did i mention dealer experience
Negatives -
1. Mileage - advertised as 16 - expecting 12/13. Pathetic in this day and age.
2. Large/abundant/huge. Wasn't expecting a sports car or a Tacoma size, but just felt huge to drive/park (more so than the F150).
3. Lack rear climate control or rear seat recline.
4. Dated styling - circular vents, small screen, oh so much chrome!

Finally negotiated and picked up Metallic Grey Platinum with Moonroof and Dual TRD exhaust for $49.5K!!
Good deal on trade in on our '12 Honda Ody with 94K miles. Did i mention the dealer experience was awesome with upfront pricing and out the door in less than 2 hours!!

Now to my pet peeves after 10 days ....
1. Negatives remain. Only the dated styling continues to irk me more than expected. Getting used to the size, sound and mileage.
2. Why can't i open the windows with the key fob? That feature was on my 2006 Acura!
3. Why are some of the window buttons and rear view mirror switches not illuminated? I constantly fumble for the folding mirror at night, since i have to fold them to park in my garage!!
4. Why do the mirrors not fold when locking the car? It's a big vehicle and parking spaces are shrinking .... additionally, the mirrors do not fold if key is not in the ignitiion.
5. One touch close for passenger and rear window would be nice.
6. What's with the low profile tires on the truck?
7. The rims are bit more 'platinum' and less 'truck'. Unfortunately, a pricey upgrade to boost. Not to mention the volumes of information i have to sift through to find wheels that fit 'without' any modification/removal of the wheel wells!
8. Undoubtedly huge - but what is under the console and useless side pocket? So much real estate wasted. Lacks in usable storage.
9. Cup holders suck!!! Can't tell you how many times ive had my Keen/Ninja bottles flying around. What's worse is the door bottle holders don't hold general size bottles either. I have to invest in Tundra friendly tumblers!!
10. No space for extra switches.
11. Kids love the rear seats but do complain about lack of air control and rear seat recline (spoilt brats came from the Odyssey).

Pleasant surprises ...
1. Power is nice. 6spd transmission is smooth - the V8 rumble with TRD exhaust was loud at first, but kind of nice now.
2. The new radar features are nice - need some getting used to - but i did not expect the features to be as useful.
3. Entertainment options are good - iheartradio/phone control/etc. Nicely done.
4. Almost smudge free screen - very pleasantly surprised. Even more so when i could still see the screen when the sun was directly on it!
5. That power rear window is awesome .... why don't they all have it .... no more dog hair in the cabin - flies right out! Nice cross ventilation to boot!

Now to customization .... long list .... painful but should be fun ....
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2859.jpg (189.2 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2856.jpg (192.8 KB, 591 views)

Last edited by Gvijay2014; 12-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvijay2014 View Post
3. Why are some of the window buttons and rear view mirror switches not illuminated? I constantly fumble for the folding mirror at night, since i have to fold them to park in my garage!!
Welcome! This is the single biggest gripe I have with my 2017 Platinum... I guess all things considered, if that's my biggest gripe, things are pretty good...

Dave

2017 Tundra Platinum 4x4 | 2018 OEM LED Headlights w/ iHacker Harness | TRD Front Anti-sway Bar | TRD Rear Anti-sway Bar | Color Matched Door Handles and Mirror Caps | BAKFlip MX4 | BAKBox 2 | Line-X Premium Bedliner | TRD Shift Knob | Husky X-Act Contour Floor Mats | Drive Bright LED Puddle Lights | LED Interior, Cargo, Third Brake, and License Plate Lights | 5 Window Tint
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 PM

Thanked 10,688 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
They got rid of the passenger auto up/down window for 2018 plats?

And what is a 6.2 Diesel? You mean the 6.2 gas I assume, as Ford only offers the 6.2l Gas, and 6.7 Diesel in the SD's... The gasser is aenemic, makes a lot of noise but no go.

The doors hold the most common sized water bottles, the half liter one I get at box stores anyways.

Congratulations on your purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
@Powertechn2 - the rear passenger windows are not auto up/down.
My bad - you are right 6.7 diesel and 6.2 gas - didnít like either. Although I did like the duramax on the Denali.

Yeah - the store bought bottles but not the 32oz workout bottles which fir without issue in our Hondaís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Nice rig! I have a '16 SR5 but may look to upgrade to something similar eventually if I ever find a decent job..... And remember those gripes. If your dealer or Toyota themselves have your email, they may invite you to some owner's circle type surveys about your truck where they'll take your thoughts happily. I know I told them on the SR5 that it should have puddle lamps and perhaps an option for fancy led drl's, among the other common complaints since it still cost a pretty penny. Especially the quiet radio!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
4. Why do the mirrors not fold when locking the car? It's a big vehicle and parking spaces are shrinking .... additionally, the mirrors do not fold if key is not in the ignitiion.
Someone on here has figured out how to make this mod work when locking the doors with the folding mirrors on the limited. Unfortunately, no one has figured it out for those of us with the Platinum memory mirrors, as they work a bit differently. I really want to see someone figure this out...

I just picked up the same truck a couple weeks ago. I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am.

First Toyota. First Truck. 2018 CM Platinum
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for taking the time to list all of your likes/dislikes it helped me in making my decision to get the 18 Plat CM. I agree at first it feels huge, still getting use to finding parking spaces and daily driving. Big change from my 06 TRD Tacoma. Looking to add a few things like the front skid plate w step and wheel flares for now, oh ya spray in liner and bed cover. List just somehow keeps growing Thanks Greg

I am finer than frogs hair..................thanks
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Loving this truck. After 4K miles ...
Added the following....
1. Inyati bedliner
2. TRD shift knob
3. Weathertech mats
4. Tundra rubber bed mat - great grip boxes are not moving around- very impressed
5. Cubby organizers from Amazon
6. Fast charge USB
7. Toyota tube steps - do not recommend. The width of them is not optimal. I slipped off once already.

Findings ....
1. I thought the TSS included the PCS system. It does not - for some reason it has a PCS-P??? More investigation required as the manual is a bit mis-leading too.
2. Towing is a breeze compared to friends f150. Could it be the V8? We felt the trailer / boat on f150 - did not get jerked in the Tundra. However, MPG is horrendous!
3. The range and fuel light was educational!
4. The dual TRD exhaust is loud - drone is loud. Least favorite thing - especially the wife. She actually wants to consider moving to stock ...
5. Still not used to the size - 3 pt parking jobs are a new way of life as is double checking front/back clearance. Nice touch would have been a forward camera too - enabled in drive under 5 mph.

Really enjoying the truck.
Research ongoing for wheels, Bed cover and level kit (noticeable sag when towing).

Cheers!

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
8. Undoubtedly huge - but what is under the console and useless side pocket? So much real estate wasted. Lacks in usable storage.
Some of the space under the console is probably ducting for the rear HVAC.

I wish they offered the front bench seat on higher trim levels. The console just seems like a huge waste to me. I like having that sixth seat available in a pinch, or so the wife can scoot over and sit next to me :-)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Purchase the color matched door handles and mirror caps. I just did this for my 2015 Platinum and wonder why I waited three years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 4X4 CrewMax Platinum in Magnetic Gray Metallic
Platinum Club Member #20
Magnetic Gray Metallic Club Member #196

Previous Tundras
2014 4X2 CrewMax Platinum in Magnetic Gray Metallic
2006 4X2 Access Cab Stepside Limited TRD Sport in Black
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Go look at the Go Rhino RB20 linex-coated side steps...I have the NFAB tube steps (with the drop down steps) and I do nothing but just my shins on them, miss them, or worse yet, my kids and my dogs have gotten there feet ankles caught in them...they are going on Craigslist...they look great but execute poorly.

As far as the creature comforts and details, I agree. Unfortunately Toyota has long ago decided to forego leading the industry in both interior design ingenuity/creature comforts and reliability/resale with the Tundra. Toyota chose the latter. There are tons of little details that could easily be addressed to make the Tundra a bit more pleasing. I bought for the reliability and resale, however, I am waiting for Toyota to step up to the plate with a real "full makeover" on the Tundra and hopefully address some of these details...folding mirrors, 3/4 ton diesel version (I doubt Toyota will tread here), improved gas mileage, clever interior storage options, increased payload, etc.

I find the turing radius excellent in the Tundra...I came out of a 3/4 GMC which needed a Wal Mart parking lot to execute a U-turn

Go look at the "Sumo Springs"...I just added a set...very simple install and they help with leveling the rear of the truck when towing. I went with the "Blue" version...don't remember the specs but these are the "softest" of the three Sumo Spring options. It did raise the rear about 1/2 inch which I don't like.

I went with a soft tonneau cover...it works great, is light and doesn't take up any bed space. I think I paid less than $200...

I can't see how a 4cyl turbo can compete with the constant torque of a V8...just isn't enough rotating mass to keep the torque curve consistent...kind of like comparing a gas V8 against a Duramax or Cummings Diesel...just doesn't compare...I think Ford has really bamboozled the general public into thinking the 4cyl eco-toot can deliver the same towing characteristics as the V8. Another example, I have the S/C on my Tundra...its great but it still can't hold a candle to my old Duramax.

For now the Tundra still beats the hell out of GM, Ford and Dodge for resale and reliability. Given the dated design and lack of features, I give it a couple more years before Toyota's resale and reliability will be fully surpassed by consumer market demands, which will then force Toyota to do a full makeover. As we all wait with anticipation, that make over will come with a significant price increase on a truck that is already expensive for what features are included.

Until then, the current platform which, oh by the way, has leveraged the same chassis and drive train options (since 2007) for all the Tundras and the Sequoias, will be what Toyota sells. Over time and volume (roughly 100,000 units per year), they are making a killing on these trucks. Toyota figured out how to compete in the full size truck segment and stay profitable.

However, I agree and believe they have been a little too conservative.

2014, Limited, CM, TRD, 4x4, Sunset Bronze Mica
TRD Supercharger
TRD Sway Bar
BAM 10" Exhaust
NFAB side steps (hate em)
Tonno Pro Lo Roll
Pro Grill w/color match
"Brute Force and Ignorance"
The Following User Says Thank You to crunch527 For This Useful Post:
plumber802 (04-24-2018)
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Congrats on the truck!

This is an excellent time of year to hunt around. Everyone is broke after holidays, the pre x-mas and new year surge is gone and dealers are willing to work with buyers.
Good deal you got there !

Your peeve list for the F-150 is similar to mine, I had to question why they could chop $$$$ off price ? It either meant inflated to start or kick you in the nards at resale. Time will tell us in 3-4 years how eco-boost 2.0 is doing.

Anyways, welcome to the forums and have a happy new year!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maalox View Post
Purchase the color matched door handles and mirror caps. I just did this for my 2015 Platinum and wonder why I waited three years.
I agree 100% with @Maalox that the color-matched handles at caps make all the difference in the world. I can't understand why Toyota wouldn't match these on the Platinums if they did everything else...
I got my handles and caps through Sparks Toyota for a decent price.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maalox View Post

I canít wait to order those parts.....itíll make a huge difference in the look

2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum Crewman in Magnetic Gray Metallic.
Mods: coming soon to a forum near you....
The Following User Says Thank You to Shelbie67 For This Useful Post:
Gvijay2014 (02-05-2018)
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Welcome! Enjoy the new toy! LET THE MODS BEGIN!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (197.7 KB, 181 views)

2015 Platinum Crewmax Superwhite 4x4 FFV;TRD Supercharger;TRD 2014 Fit Kit; Bullydog FFV Tune;TRD Dual Exhaust; Sequoia Front Sway bar,TRD Rear Sway Bar;TRD Skid Plate; TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers; 040 White Door Handles; ReadyLIFT 3"/2";Anzo LED 3rd Brake Light;8 - LED Rock Lights, Winjet LED Tail lights, LED Fog Lights, axle vent mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount & 12000lb winch, Storm Trooper shift knob. BMF BATL wheels Michelin 295/65-20, NFAB Rail Mount Spare Tire Carrier. BOLT locks on everything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vector W8 For This Useful Post:
Gvijay2014 (02-05-2018), Shelbie67 (01-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in