Long time lurker finally picked one up last week!!
Already one road trip to Tucson completed.
Thought i'd share my thoughts with other folks in the market.
Requirements - Extended crew cab, tow capacity (for toys), reliability (long term), ~$50K
My choices were - Tundra, F150 Lariat, F250 Lariat, Denali HD (used)
F250 eliminated because of general styling, 6.2 power stroke diesel was loud, price and just generally did not fit me.
Denali HD was price alone - really loved this truck. Not a big fan of GM dash, or gear shift, but ride, traditional styling, power really won me over. Dealer(s) would just not negotiate.
Down to F150 Lariat (MSRP $62K) vs Tundra Platinum (MSRP $55K)
1. The F150 definitely has a lot of gizmos and drives/rides really well.
2. The 3.5 ECO plus 10 spd transmission - very smooth.
3. Driver comfort was 10. Rear passenger comfort a little stiff, but good ventilation, etc.
4. Loved the tow package and easy trailer back up.
1. Relative newness of 3.5 ECO and 10spd - speaks to reliability and fear of recalls/warranty issues.
2. Without going into detail - false advertising of dealer and Ford in general (esp. tow ratings). Transmission issues reported with excessive towing (friends/forums).
3. Horrible dealer experiences.
4. Upfront drop in price - makes me question value of vehicle.
5. Lack of rear climate control or rear seat recline.
1. I've had prior experiences abroad with Toyota Hi-lux and land cruisers - something about the Tundra had a bit of familiarity (even though the Tundra is undoubtedly American!).
2. Ride/comfort/rear passenger room.
3. Fantastic dealer experience with Big Two of Chandler, AZ.
4. 10 years on the same engine and power train (good and bad but i take it as reliability).
5. Power rear window - nice!
6. Standardized tow capacity - we know exactly what the standard is.
7. Price - and did i mention dealer experience
1. Mileage - advertised as 16 - expecting 12/13. Pathetic in this day and age.
2. Large/abundant/huge. Wasn't expecting a sports car or a Tacoma size, but just felt huge to drive/park (more so than the F150).
3. Lack rear climate control or rear seat recline.
4. Dated styling - circular vents, small screen, oh so much chrome!
Finally negotiated and picked up Metallic Grey Platinum with Moonroof and Dual TRD exhaust for $49.5K!!
Good deal on trade in on our '12 Honda Ody with 94K miles. Did i mention the dealer experience was awesome with upfront pricing and out the door in less than 2 hours!!
Now to my pet peeves after 10 days ....
1. Negatives remain. Only the dated styling continues to irk me more than expected. Getting used to the size, sound and mileage.
2. Why can't i open the windows with the key fob? That feature was on my 2006 Acura!
3. Why are some of the window buttons and rear view mirror switches not illuminated? I constantly fumble for the folding mirror at night, since i have to fold them to park in my garage!!
4. Why do the mirrors not fold when locking the car? It's a big vehicle and parking spaces are shrinking .... additionally, the mirrors do not fold if key is not in the ignitiion.
5. One touch close for passenger and rear window would be nice.
6. What's with the low profile tires on the truck?
7. The rims are bit more 'platinum' and less 'truck'. Unfortunately, a pricey upgrade to boost. Not to mention the volumes of information i have to sift through to find wheels that fit 'without' any modification/removal of the wheel wells!
8. Undoubtedly huge - but what is under the console and useless side pocket? So much real estate wasted. Lacks in usable storage.
9. Cup holders suck!!! Can't tell you how many times ive had my Keen/Ninja bottles flying around. What's worse is the door bottle holders don't hold general size bottles either. I have to invest in Tundra friendly tumblers!!
10. No space for extra switches.
11. Kids love the rear seats but do complain about lack of air control and rear seat recline (spoilt brats came from the Odyssey).
Pleasant surprises ...
1. Power is nice. 6spd transmission is smooth - the V8 rumble with TRD exhaust was loud at first, but kind of nice now.
2. The new radar features are nice - need some getting used to - but i did not expect the features to be as useful.
3. Entertainment options are good - iheartradio/phone control/etc. Nicely done.
4. Almost smudge free screen - very pleasantly surprised. Even more so when i could still see the screen when the sun was directly on it!
5. That power rear window is awesome .... why don't they all have it .... no more dog hair in the cabin - flies right out! Nice cross ventilation to boot!
Now to customization .... long list .... painful but should be fun ....