How Common are Tundra DC's w/8-foot Beds? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How Common are Tundra DC's w/8-foot Beds?

Hi all,

Given how difficult it is to find late-model, half-ton pickups of any brand with an 8' bed AND more than a Regular Cab, I would love to know folks' opinions on what percentage of the fleet of Third Gen. Tundras came with:

a) An 8' bed, in combination with;

b) A Double Cab.

Do you own one?

How many have you seen?

Or should I ask: how many of you have seen even one such truck? LOL

Lastly, does anyone know of a source for Toyota's actual production figures, that would answer this question?

(And I'm assuming there's no such thing as a CrewMax with an 8' bed, right?)

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
--Henry Ford

2014 Tundra SR DCLB, 8' Box, 5.7, 4x4
2009 Highlander Hybrid
1987 Camry Wagon (Gone, but not forgotten!)

Last edited by ToyotasForever; 10-24-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
The material that formerly occupied this space was a sincere effort at relating the history of 8' beds in Toyota Tundras. It may have been an erroneous misunderstanding of information in the public domain, but it in no way contained any opinions, criticisms, or sarcasm about the question or the OP. Some capricious prick gave it a BIG RED THUMB. If you have better information, then offer it up, please tell me I am an ignorant, well-meaning fool, but do not hide your cowardice and vendetta behind anonymous unfocused criticism.

Last edited by OldGuy43; 10-24-2017 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldGuy43 For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (11-04-2017)
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have never seen firsthand a Tundra with a long bed on the road. Rarely, on a dealer's lot. And I have been a Toyota guy for almost 20 years (caveat: I have owned a 4Runner for most of those years, but have wheeled with many Tundras).

:: michael
2007 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
K&N Air Kit
XD129 "Holeshots"
Toyo Open Country AT II LT285/75R18
5.7L of Yummm

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
They're not very common. I've seen 2 at the dealer lots and about 5 on the road in the past 2 years. Sometimes I wish I went long bed but then I wouldn't of had a limited.
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Rare at best. The dealership I'm working with to get mine calls it a unicorn. Apparently there is only a limited number produced and nearly all of those end up in the Texas oil fields or being used by public utilities. There's not enough consumer interest in long beds to justify a dealer keeping them around. The particular salesman I'm working with said that in 5 years of working at this dealership, he has seen 3 go through the dealership. He took a used one in on trade a couple weeks ago, but they wouldn't sell it to me because it was in such bad shape. It needed $4K in repairs to be road worthy. It's going straight to auction because they don't want to be associated with it in any way.
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Since I got my latest Tundra, (2017 from a 2003) it feels very big. I have been keeping an eye on what truck lengths are on the road. Clearly there is a point where all the manufacturers have determined that consumer interest drops off a cliff. I see all kinds of trucks that are similar to mine. I have a crewmax with a 5.7' bed and it fits in my garage with about 16" to spare. I cant imagine having anything longer. It would just be prohibitive for me. I am still adjusting to the size of the vehicle and learning to better manage the maneuverability, and I live in the spacious deep south.. I can imagine how it must be in the North East. One thing I think they have done is to go taller with the bed sides.. so when the tailgate is down, it gives a longer usable space.

I read a thread where there was debate over why anyone would want a 5'7" bed versus a 6'5" bed. This is light years away from the 8' and it was still full of posts of people who can barely fit the truck in the garage.

I have a friend that bought a Ford 350 truck. His house has the driveway in the back of his house. He can barely squeeze his truck in his *driveway*.. He parks about 4" from his house.

Its just a lot of trouble for the individual.. The people I know that have the long trucks, usually dont drive them daily because of the hassle..

This is all just my opinion... I have no agenda or anything.. Its just something I have noticed..
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
I have seen 2 or 3 over the past 3 years...

Not getting the 8 foot bed my only regret with my truck.

2014 SR Work Truck Package Double Cab 4x4 4.6L Magnetic Grey Tundra.
Official tri-state club member #48
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I'd have given my left nut for a CM with a 6 1/2' bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fttam For This Useful Post:
RingSteel (10-25-2017)
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fttam View Post
I'd have given my left nut for a CM with a 6 1/2' bed.
I didnt see any on the lot, but does Toyota not offer the CM with the 6'.5" bed?
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have only noticed seeing one before. It's the new 2017 I just bought. The dealer two miles from my house had it sitting on their lot. When the sales guy saw me looking it over the first thing he said was "That one has been here awhile. Not too many people looking for a long bed. I can get you a great deal if you're interested." Well, the rest is history. I love the truck and often need a long bed hauling stuff back and forth to the farm. Sure it's a little more trouble parking but not that big a deal plus I get a bit of exercise walking from the rear of parking lots.
The Following User Says Thank You to lou8700 For This Useful Post:
Worktruck? (12-22-2017)
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
I see a Tundra with an 8' bed every time I look in my garage, but it's a regular cab. I don't think I've ever seen the DC long bed unicorn in the wild, just in photos.

2014 SR RCLB Magnetic Gray
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,065 Times in 2,870 Posts
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Quoted: 5865 Post(s)
I can't imagine going back to a 6.5 ft bed.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Almost as rare as unicorns...

According to some dealerships, double cab long beds are elusive, legendary beasts that, once free'd into the world, roam wild...

According to other dealerships, they are fabled creatures that can only be captured by the most cunning and skilled car hunter...

And according to most dealerships, they don't even exist... At least the freakin' idiots that my buddy tried to by a car from told him as much. So he bought a Ram. Poor schlub. Then we saw at least one unicorn every day for the next month. One day, we even saw TWO unicorns on the same road in the same mile!

They are less-rare around these parts, but still rare enough.

2013 5.7l DC RB 4x4 TRD MAG GREY w/TOW PKG, WTEC MTS, BGDFLCTR, LOPRO TNO, BDRG, COACH ShKLS N BSHNGS, 45BKUPCAM, DYNAMT W/DB-3 MLV, PRMSiQ, PNR AVHX2500BT, H11_2_H9, Hlla500FF, MGMC #203, TRDSwyBr, PNR TSD1720C, JBLGTO628, PNR GMD8604, INF860w, FX2.0RR, BIL6112, IcnLefPk, RidRitBgs, DystrCrdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq247265 View Post
Blenton = Mike Sweers

Last edited by Blenton; 10-25-2017 at 02:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blenton For This Useful Post:
silverhack (10-25-2017)
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Funny you should ask this question as I am in the middle of a search for a dealer that will modify their allocation to a Silver SR5 DCLB for me.

I am coming from my 1998 F150 Supercab XLT 8' box. I have put my 8' bed to use more times than I can count and I swore I would never get another truck without one.

I have contacted about a dozen dealers. A third say it is impossible to special order a Tundra (not quite the whole story), another third want you to put a $1,000 non refundable deposit down without a firm price or delivery, the other third seem receptive and those are the ones I am working with.

I had one sales manager tell me "There is no demand for an 8' bed". To which I stated, if the only thing you have on the lot is one stripped white SR DCLB and you refuse to do a special order then I suspect that may have a lot to do with why you don't sell many.

Unfortunately Toyota and Ford are the only game in town for a DCLB in a light duty truck. I don't need or want a Diesel or 3/4 ton truck.

My 1998 F150 has never left me stranded but it has required repairs that I consider un-needed. The 2018 F150 has Plasma deposited cylinders, auto start stop, DPFI (Port and Direct injection), An aluminum body, a grossly over engineered suicide door system on the supercab, and a new 10 speed transmission jointly developed by Ford and GM. None of these features are a plus IMHO.

The simplicity and lack of change is precisely what is driving me toward the Tundra. My biggest gripe is to get the 38 gallon tank you have to get the upgrade package with the center console and get a painted rear bumper (front stays chrome).

Wish me luck.
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Funny you should ask this question as I am in the middle of a search for a dealer that will modify their allocation to a Silver SR5 DCLB for me...Wish me luck.
Good Luck on the SR5 DCLB! A 2018 SR DCLB could be a unicorn, but an SR5 DCLB does not exist (Toyota.com).

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/...dra/model/8239

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/...dra/model/8240

Last edited by OldGuy43; 10-25-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in