User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tough decision coming up

In the market for a new 4X4 pick up, dual cab, 6.5 bed with towing package and optional gas tank. Previously owned a 2013 Tundra and a Tacoma before that. Both were bullet proof and defect free during the time I owned them. Also owned several F150's and 2 Superdutys and all were 100% dependable.

So am leaning towards the F150 3.5 ecoboost. But also value reliability so this puts me back in a 5.7 Tundra. But the realist in my knows I rarely keep anything longer than 5 years. Exception being my last Superduty which stayed with me over 10 years. In fact it was the only vehicle I ever regretted selling. Also on the short list (but a distant 3rd choice) is a Colorado with diesel engine.

In no hurry as this is a want and not a need. Its great we have so many choices within similar price structures. Time will tell how this pans out. Already visited my local Tundra dealer but my first attempt to trade came in at $4,000 to high and dealer refused to budge or negotiate so I moved on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I would say no to the Colorado. Idk anything about them besides that they're fugly. I'm in my second tundra so I'm biased. But I will say I had some truck envy going on when I got in my buddy's 2015 ford. He got every possible interior upgrade and paid the same price I did for a SR5. His is also leveled on 35s. Both 2015s with similar mileage. I know everyone will chalk that up to resale value, but it's just an observation to consider. If I could go back 6 months I'd definitely at least have test drove a F150. All that being said.. I bought a second tundra for a reason
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The Colorado is a very distant third and would only be considered with a $6-7K discount but I dont see that happening.

Tundra has treated me well. Kept my last one for over 4 years and 42K miles. Traded it even for a new 2018 Maxima that was discounted $8,500 by the selling dealer.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
I had my 05 Tundra for 10 years with 130K miles.
Traded it in on my 14 SR5 DC.
Very happy with it.
I test drove a 2014 Ford and didn't care for the interior.
But I will admit the new Ford 250s are really nice looking trucks.

I considered a 2014 GMC, but after hearing coworkers bitch about there newer Chevys I'm glad I got another Tundra.

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I had a 2013 F150 FX4 ecoboost and it was a nice truck. It was loaded with nice gadgets with a nice stereo and did well. The only complaint I had was when I would floor it to enter traffic the limiter would make the truck sputter even when I wasn't spinning tires. The truck drove like a car, very smooth and quiet and I loved the room it had.

That being said, I now have a 17 pro cm and love it. I love the sound and it feels more like a truck. Even though it doesn't have all the gadgets the Ford had I am quite happy and really done NEED all the gadgets and the truck was quite a bit less than the Ford. If I was concerned about gas mileage I would get a Ford...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Tundra (that crazy grey color) TRD Pro
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Currentking;8719394]The only complaint I had was when I would floor it to enter traffic the limiter would make the truck sputter even when I wasn't spinning tires. QUOTE]

The one I was in also had a tuner so I guess I can't really compare his truck to stock lol
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Yes, Ferds around here are much more expensive than SR5 Tundras. Ferds are a dime a dozen and can probably be had cheaper after they depreciate, but guys willing to shell out the big bucks to get the newest and greatest gadgets just seem to need a ride to the dealer in a couple months for a radio, back up sensor, or some other recall going on...LOL

NEW 2019 Sport DC - starting the build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD2013 RW DC, BA Budget System, Bilstein 5100s, 2 inch shackles AFE Drop in, JBL stealth box, scan guage, Horns, Bull Bar, TRD swaybar
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
What will you be towing?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
A 5,000 pound boat 6-10 times a year on short trips. I just read the "new" Tundra is now not due out till 2021. This would mean I would be OK with the current version and could consider a new one in 2022.
Right now can go with either brand and price could sway me to either if there is more than a $2K difference OTD after I trade.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
But the realist in my knows I rarely keep anything longer than 5 years.
Why? Just curious.

2011 Crewmax Rock Warrior
Custom ebony leather with red suede lumbar and bottoms, flip down DVD player, Line-X spray in bedliner, Truxedo tonneau cover, Rhino step bars
My mods:
BHLM, Kenwood DVD/Navi unit with tailgate handle reverse camera, Pop 'n Lock tailgate lock, Prodigy P3 brake controller custom intall with button relocation, Scangauge II install,tow mirrors,debadged,removed A-pillar tape, black powdercoated bead locks and exhaust tip, blackout taillights, tinted 3rd brake light, stubby antenna, LED bed lights, info buttons
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
Why? Just curious.
Because I get bored with vehicles and like the change.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinTN View Post
Because I get bored with vehicles and like the change.
Ouch, that's expensive.

I always felt that the best way to take advantage of Toyota's calling card (reliability), was to keep the vehicle well past the time when the other manufacturers vehicles start having problems. To each their own though, I can't wait till my Tundra is paid off so I can use that payment money for extra retirement savings, vacations, and other hobbies.

2011 Crewmax Rock Warrior
Custom ebony leather with red suede lumbar and bottoms, flip down DVD player, Line-X spray in bedliner, Truxedo tonneau cover, Rhino step bars
My mods:
BHLM, Kenwood DVD/Navi unit with tailgate handle reverse camera, Pop 'n Lock tailgate lock, Prodigy P3 brake controller custom intall with button relocation, Scangauge II install,tow mirrors,debadged,removed A-pillar tape, black powdercoated bead locks and exhaust tip, blackout taillights, tinted 3rd brake light, stubby antenna, LED bed lights, info buttons
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 PM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,316 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Garage
this be my last truck y'all for many reasons.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSIģ ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So I'll throw in my experience....

I was down to the same two trucks. I was always a Ford guy until I became a Toyota guy about 6 years ago. In my part of the country, the F150 is more expensive than the Tundra. I used Truecar and was able to get a a '17 Crewmax for several thousand cheaper (about $5K off sticker) than the comparable '16 F150 after incentives. So the Ford would have cost me more for last years model. I liked all the tech in the F150, but the reliability of that tech scared me too. That damned Sync seems to control EVERYTHING and I had also read lots of issues related to it. I know technology changes and progress is made in reliability, but I follow the simple rule more parts is more to wear out. When you put twin turbos on an engine, that's two turbos to potentially go bad (and are expensive as hell). The Tundra is pretty darn bulletproof with the drivetrain. I had to take personal experience into account as well. All my Fords saw the inside of the service department. The Tundra is my 5th Toyota and the only time any of them went in was for routine maintenance. So my gut said get the Tundra. I ended up with my dream truck (Crewmax TRD in dark met gray) for less than the F150. I was ready to sign the paperwork on a F150 until they refused to sell it to me for the price they quoted me. So I left and went down the street....and I'm glad I did looking back. Now when I walk out to the parking lot, there's 20 F150's.....and one bad ass Crewmax....I enjoy being a little different than the norm. You'll be happy with either. Go with what your gut says and best of luck in your purchase.

Last edited by srv0819; 07-13-2017 at 09:39 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My gut tells me to buy the Tundra
The kid in me tells me to buy the F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and 10 speed transmission because it will absolutely smoke a Tundra
Both have 5 years/60,000 mile power train warranty's and that's about the time I get a new one so no worries about out of pocket expenses. Neither will ever see off road.

The deciding issue with be $$$. The first one that comes in for $2K less OTD with my trade will win. Less than $2K then I'll shop even more carefully to make sure the truck is equipped exactly as I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in