LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rust In Bumper

Thougt I would share this with you guys. I went to my local Toyota dealer in Chicago here and was talking to a frined of mine in service. He told me Toyota has a tsb on our bumpers. Look on the inside of your bumpers and see if there is any rust starting. I looked while it was on the lift and sure enough I had a little surface rust building up on my inside rear bumper. Toyota is replacing them as a warranty. Im going to wait until after winter hear and have them put a new bumper on.I figured I would go through the snow and salt with this one on and get a new one in spring. There not advertising this so take a look and see if there is any rust on your truck .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the info, did they make any changes to the new bumpers, to stop the rusting??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SIG DONE BY sxd45
Tyler yup that's me
83 Pickup 22re on 37's
84 4Runner 22r on 32's
85 Pickup 305sbc on 36's
11 Tacoma TRD Sport 4L on 32's
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Im not really sure. I was just there the other day when they told me this. It's wierd because I wash my vehicle at least once a week and in the winter at least twice a week. And I still found surface rust on it. You'd think if there gonna warranty this that they would make changes with the replacement bumper.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 PM

This is good to know. I bought my truck in Late August and I'm seeing rust all over the place. One of my bed bolts is rusted, my shock mounts are rusty and I've seen rust on the frame. This gives me yet another place to look. I'm a little concerned about this and will be discussing it with my dealer next time I'm up that way.

Say, you wouldn't happen to have the TSB number would you?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Alright, I just called my friend at toyota,There is no TSB on this. Its a non advertised replacement. He said they have changed 3 now on Tundras . Its not a big issue so there is no tsb, but they are warranting them so if you find it have it replaced.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 44,819 Times in 20,162 Posts
Mentioned: 884 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7743 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up.

I think mine are plastic but I'll check anyway.

#blackriflesmatter #whitelivesmatter #MAGA
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
It's a plastic cover but the inside is metal. Thats what I thought to when he told me,I have a black painted plastic bumper but thats just the cover.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLES ETC View Post
It's a plastic cover but the inside is metal. Thats what I thought to when he told me,I have a black painted plastic bumper but thats just the cover.
That's what I figured but I can't check until it stops raining.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM

I'll look at mine tonight. I have also noticed from day one a rust coloration build-up on the plastic top surface of my rear bumper, right underneath the left-most part of my tailgate. I'm guessing that the inside of my tailgate is rusting already? I've got the rust on the frame as well. 13,000 miles and I haven't gone through a Chicago winter yet. I'll point all this out when I go to the dealership for the first time at 15,000 and see what happens.
I love this truck but these aren't small problems are they?

Pierow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*BASIC D.I.Y. MAINTENENCE TIPS*

*Cabin Filter Mod.*

Blk. 08' Ltd. DC 5.7 , Mods: K&N 77 AI, Magnaflow 16753, Access Cover, Linex, Putco Visors & int. LED'S, r.r.mirror LED array, stub antennea, black grille, Mag-Lite mount, Odessy B.C., Bell door guards, Blk. calipers, Wolo horns, Pilot s. wheel cover.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
As long as your frame is not really rusty you should be fine. I bought my truck in Oct.of 2007 and went through the Chicago winter and I have to say my frame is in great shape. I still have black paint on the whole frame.All the welds are in good shape. Above all I'm impressed with the Tundras so I dont think you have really anything to worry about. Listen, Anything that is steel is going to rust, lets just hope its years down the road. Your fom Il. so you know we got a pretty good winter blast last year,Lots of road salt, and there saying this year is gonna be a snowy winter again this year, so I recomend going through the car wash this winter atleast once a week and be sure to get the underneath wash to get rid of all that salt there gonna have on the roads this year.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Had mine replaced Jan. '08; bought the truck July '07

2016 1794 Edition
TRD exhaust( at least temporarily)
Silver Sky
Hope it lasts as long as my '07
No mods; I'm broke
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I have 4 toyota trucks in my company that I use fopr deliveries, 3 are little 4cyl base model Tacomas and one is a 93 Toyota hilux 4cyl that I bought new in 1993,last summer I had to expire the 1994 Hilux I had here because the frame rusted completley through. That truck had 390,000 miles on it and it went through 14 Chicago winters. I'd say it did pretty good considering all the salt they use here and all the stop and go we have here in the city. These Toyotas are made for abuse. Dont sweat it !
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierow View Post
I'll look at mine tonight. I have also noticed from day one a rust coloration build-up on the plastic top surface of my rear bumper, right underneath the left-most part of my tailgate. I'm guessing that the inside of my tailgate is rusting already? I've got the rust on the frame as well. 13,000 miles and I haven't gone through a Chicago winter yet. I'll point all this out when I go to the dealership for the first time at 15,000 and see what happens.
I love this truck but these aren't small problems are they?
I have that same little rust spot.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLES ETC View Post
As long as your frame is not really rusty you should be fine. ................I recomend going through the car wash this winter atleast once a week and be sure to get the underneath wash to get rid of all that salt there gonna have on the roads this year.
I have rust on the frame and welds. It's not alot but I didn't think it would be there so soon. I think others have this problem as well. I guess I'll be going through the car wash alot this winter. Would it be too late to do some underbody protection in the spring? Been kicking this around a while.

Pierow

*Cabin Filter Mod.*

Blk. 08' Ltd. DC 5.7 , Mods: K&N 77 AI, Magnaflow 16753, Access Cover, Linex, Putco Visors & int. LED'S, r.r.mirror LED array, stub antennea, black grille, Mag-Lite mount, Odessy B.C., Bell door guards, Blk. calipers, Wolo horns, Pilot s. wheel cover.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8TUNDRA View Post
I have that same little rust spot.
I have looked for rust on that inside seam of the tailgate but haven't found any. Do you think it's coming from the inside or think it's something else entirely?

Pierow

*Cabin Filter Mod.*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in