Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles to empty pretty far off, anybody else?

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  SP 
#1 ·
I wanted to see if my new Tundra has an issue and if it could be addressed. Got a 2017 SR5 w/ TSS setup. I've noticed over the first few weeks that the miles to empty is pretty far off. Before anyone says it lol I don't romp around on the pedal and have been driving pretty consistently. An example of how far off it has been, filled up the tank and it estimated right about 400 miles to empty, I ended up getting about 340 miles before light came on. It seems for about every 3-4 miles I go the miles to empty drops 5.

I have a theory but not sure if it can be messed with in the ECU or if it's even worth it. The truck does have the 20 inch TSS style wheels on it so either the odometer is not counting correctly or the mileage left is not calibrated to that wheel/tire size.

Thanks

#4 ·
I don't have the 38 gallon tank. Like I said in the first post too... I don't romp the pedal and drive pretty consistently ;) . I should have also mentioned that I traded in my 2014 SR5 and that one was pretty dead on 99% of the time so this one feels like something is up.

#6 ·
my low fuel gauge comes on and i have roughly 5 gallons left in the tank, i have the 38 gallon tank.
How is one getting 560 per fill up? is this why miles? Thats 14.7mpg, my new 17 limited CM with 1500 miles on it is averaging 13mpg right now. Hell 14.7 would be a dream.

#28 ·
I've never been able to consistently get out of the 13s. Usually running low 13s and now with 305s, I'm lucky to get 13! Yes....14.7 would be a dream!

#11 ·
With the newer oxygenated gas they are selling now it seems to kind of throw off the gauges. The oxygen displaces the gas in the tank and so it appears more full than it really is. As the oxygen vents off you end up with a lower fuel level and therfore lower overall range per tank of gas.

Just another way that the government has come up with to get you to pay more for less and make someone else rich.

#12 ·
it's the TSS package, tons of threads on here of guys with TSS's having issues with the MTE and also MPG readout...

I personally would never buy a TSS, they have way more problems then regular Tundra's, bet there is a class action suit in the works

#15 ·
Mines off in a different way. Lately i've stopped trusting it as I ran out of gas with 25 miles till empty in mine.

#24 ·
My 16 does this as well. I normally drive 50 or so miles after the fuel range hits 0 and can still only get 30-32 gallons in the tank (38gal.) My MPG calculator says 15.5 with 16,500 miles on the vehicle. It's not really a problem for me, I just know that I can still go a good ways (if I have to) until I need fuel.

it's the TSS package, tons of threads on here of guys with TSS's having issues with the MTE and also MPG readout...
I personally would never buy a TSS, they have way more problems then regular Tundra's, bet there is a class action suit in the works

I'm hoping this is some attempt to get him prickly, The TSS package is only cosmetic (wheels, badges, running boards, mats, etc.). Only if the addition of the 20" wheels is having that much of an impact on the computer.

Reactions: Wacked
#26 ·
Noticed the same as well. Filled mine only twice so far since buying it (Feb 17) and both times have only been able to get in 31-32 gallons although it wants to be EMPTY at zero. 6 gallons is a large reserve....I rather it be honest and true to gauge the level. I don't need the system to overthink my intent on when to fuel.

#29 ·
I have an 08, so I am constantly living with a fuel gauge that is near the "E" mark. I would imagine the pumps in these trucks are rather large, and generate quite a bit of heat if they were to run not covered in life giving fluid. I wonder if Toyota overthinks for us for the life of the pumps? My Toyota service guy said he has never seen a Tundra with a bad pump come into the shop....

#30 ·
Why would an 08 mean your fuel gauge stay near empty?
I had a dodge years ago that the fuel pump went on it, the dealer installed replacement didn't last long either. Then I bought a junker fuel tank and noticed that the pump was never installed correctly so it needed over a 1/4 tank to keep it cool.
Just imagine your tank is a few gallons less than the stated amount and you can get over the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.