Why buy a Tundra in 2017? - Page 6 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Just bought the truck this weekend. Got a metallic gray CM 2WD, SR5 upgrade/TSS package. I've been driving white trucks since 2003, so I'm getting used to the color change. I gave my daughter my white 2014 Tundra. I would have bought white, but just felt funny the idea of having two identical trucks in the driveway.

Now I need to find a good place to buy the warranty. Thanks again for all the help. This process reminded me why I bought Toyota in the first place.

Attachment 738601
GReat looking truck congrats on sticking with Toyota. Best choice you could make in my opinion.

2014 4Runner Limited MGM
2014 Tundra bilstein 5100, CB shims, and toytec shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izsd858 View Post
Attachment 739305Attachment 739313

Yeah looks like a real good safety truck and work truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw those pictures on the news. The driver of that F150 hit a squirrel. So much for "military grade aluminum".

2010 SR5 Dbl. Cab, Silver Sky Metallic, 2wd, 4.6L with tow package

Tundra Campers Club #1
post #78 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:08 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
I would call bs on a lot of what was said... But I have refrained.

Now, 17mpg while towing. Sure, maybe on the flat spots. But in that case I get 30mpg on the flat spots...

A co-worker bought a new 16 EB f150 ext 4x4 a few weeks ago.

He was raving about the mpg last week.

Then last weekend he went up north to go snowmobiling.

So this week he was raving about how much better it towed over his last 5.0 f150...

He got 7mpg average. The 5.0 he had before got 9...

He said it seemed to have more power, didn't down shift as much, but mpg sucked on a 375 mile one way trip. This was a 2500lb(claimed weight) v-nose low roof drive on/off aluminum trailer with 3 sleds, the exact same trailer, and same sleds as previously towed last month, to the same place... Same temps... Same people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

post #79 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraman View Post
Please trade you Tundra for a Prius and save the environment. I work my trucks and my Tundra did great in 16 years of hard work. The F150 is the best work truck now with the capacities I need. Will Tundra backup my 4 trailers for me like the F150. Will it tow 12k? Will it get 20mpgs and give me the best protection in a wreck?

My point is that Tundra needs to get back into the game for those of us who use our trucks for work. 3 months on the forum and your a truck expert and I am a troll with my 15 years, right?
have you pulled 12k with a ecoboost?

I've pulled the same trailer loaded with the same mini ex (total around 11k) with my Tundra and My FIL's '15 F150 EB Platinum 4x4. The Tundra handled it fine (overloaded by about 1,000lbs). F150 pulled it fine if you are deaf, sounded like it was going to blow up, RPMs were much higher and the MPGs were worse. It was the same with his tractor on an aluminum car trailer, and his small Travel Trailer.

He was doing dirt work at my house and his so were were moving equipment back and forth over a few weekends.

How about some pictures or videos of this magically awesome F150 you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Idiot406 (02-02-2017), Powertechn2 (02-01-2017)
post #80 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:57 PM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
have you pulled 12k with a ecoboost?

I've pulled the same trailer loaded with the same mini ex (total around 11k) with my Tundra and My FIL's '15 F150 EB Platinum 4x4. The Tundra handled it fine (overloaded by about 1,000lbs). F150 pulled it fine if you are deaf, sounded like it was going to blow up, RPMs were much higher and the MPGs were worse. It was the same with his tractor on an aluminum car trailer, and his small Travel Trailer.

He was doing dirt work at my house and his so were were moving equipment back and forth over a few weekends.

How about some pictures or videos of this magically awesome F150 you have?

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Meltdownblitz (02-02-2017), mrmachinist (02-02-2017)
post #81 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Such varying opinions for Ford, it seems.

Some say its a magic truck that gets 17 MPG towing. Others says its an unreliable POS that can't tow worth a crap.

I guess the truth is somewhere in between?

Are there threads on other forums bashing the Tundra in similar fashion?
post #82 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
I was leaning heavily towards a Silverado CC Z71 as they rode amazingly smooth and were dead silent inside like a Cadillac
I came from Chevy trucks to Tundras. At first, the Chevys are really smooth, but in 3 years time mine all turned into a squeaky, creaky mess compared to my Tundras. I'm always really surprised at how Tundras hold that feel over time. My daughters beaten up 2008 doesn't feel a ton different than my 2017. Compare a 2008 Chevy truck to a new one and see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlord View Post
You'll find a bunch of guys complaining about ford on fords f150 forum. Yes that's my username over there. I was a toyota guy for years and tried out ford because the car could parallel park it's self in the city. I learned my mistake and will never go back to ford. They are the epitome of corporate jerks. This would never happen with toyota...
Wow, I just went over there and looked. Lots of F150 complaints. Lots of people saying, I have a Ford, but that Tundra is a nice truck...
post #83 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Such varying opinions for Ford, it seems.

Some say its a magic truck that gets 17 MPG towing. Others says its an unreliable POS that can't tow worth a crap.

I guess the truth is somewhere in between?

Are there threads on other forums bashing the Tundra in similar fashion?

Don't get me wrong. The f150 pulled the loads but seemed like it was working very hard compared to the tundra.

The 250, 350, and especially the 450s seem to be great work trucks for my inlaws construction company they also have a gmc one ton and a Chevy 5500. Fords seem to be better than both of those.

My father in law and brother in law bought identical trucks other than color a day apart and both have been in the shop for different issues over the past year and a half. They love their trucks. I just don't get it, I'll stick with my never in the shop tundra and eat the little extra gas when unloaded. I had 2 pos Chevys and an '03 f250 with the pos 6.0. The tundra is the first truck I've had that doesn't require me to make repair visits every few months.

I'm sure they bash the tundra on other forums but I'm sure it's not bashing reliability.

post #84 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I left Ford due to their crap at the local dealers,I admit I am an impulse buyer, but when dealerships in a row tell me ," There are several out there pick one , and come back we'll talk" I walked. Went to Chevy and Dodge, didn't see any thing that tripped my trigger, checked the Toyota dealer here and ended up with the 2010 4x4 that yelled buy me. Damn thing has been great, short of that strange 4x4/ engine trouble that caused me new parts on a truck that only had 30K, but cooler heads talked me out of selling it, and its still rolling along. been paid off since 2012, ONly thing I argue about with my self now is lift kits for it, hell I'm damn near 70, those creeks and crossings seem to be getting deeper.
post #85 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,314 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlord View Post
Just gave my 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch back to the dealer. That is NOT a work truck. Half the time the truck doesn't even work. The moonroof leaks, the radio/gps randomly stops working, the windows bounce down when go over a bump. Thing is unreliable and ford says it's "working as designed"

I now have a 2017 Tundra 1794 and I don't have a single issue and it's 15 thousand dollars less than ford. Ford is shameful

Oh and I'll end on this. Google the phrase "63kdollarmistake"
You'll find a bunch of guys complaining about ford on fords f150 forum. Yes that's my username over there. I was a toyota guy for years and tried out ford because the car could parallel park it's self in the city. I learned my mistake and will never go back to ford. They are the epitome of corporate jerks. This would never happen with toyota...

haha @Landlord I enjoyed your thread over on the Ford forum... Made my morning!

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust

post #86 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscigars View Post
Sorry guys, we are only "Junior Members" here, so we have no cred. Unlike the guy with 15 years, even though he said in December 2016 it was ten years. Either way, something we can aspire to be.

Seriously though. No tin can vehicles for me either!

Not like he can really lie about it. It will be 10 years end of February, guess he forgot you can click on the profile and see how long they've been around the forum.

post #87 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post

That got me to totally crack up lol!

The Following User Says Thank You to Izsd858 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (02-02-2017)
post #88 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Hey wait a minute, I'm the toughest guy on the Internet!

2014 5.7L SR Loooooong bed!
DirtyDeeds Stainless 8" BAMuffler
Viper 5706v
Driver Side Grab Handle
Raptor 4" Nerf Bars
20% Tint
BBS RD423 20" wheels. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015xl 275/55R20
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot406 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (02-02-2017)
post #89 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Just bought the truck this weekend. Got a metallic gray CM 2WD, SR5 upgrade/TSS package. I've been driving white trucks since 2003, so I'm getting used to the color change. I gave my daughter my white 2014 Tundra. I would have bought white, but just felt funny the idea of having two identical trucks in the driveway.

Now I need to find a good place to buy the warranty. Thanks again for all the help. This process reminded me why I bought Toyota in the first place.

Attachment 738601
Congrats on the truck! One thing I don't get though is all this talk about reliability and then you are talking about an extended warranty I think extended warranties are a waste of good money. Put that money in savings and it will likely still be there when your warranty would have expired. Just my $.02

Just put air bags on a '17 Tundra Crewmax SR5. One thing I can't help but notice when I have them up on my hoist is how heavy duty these tundra's are compared to the domestic brands. ( ball joints, tie rod ends etc)
post #90 of 114 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Why buy a Tundra in 2017?

:-)

MGMC 164

Last edited by jagtundra; 02-02-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in