Recommendations on Used Tundra (2014-2016) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Recommendations on Used Tundra (2014-2016)

Hi, I'm about to buy a slightly used (possibly Toyota certified) Tundra CrewMax 2WD with the 5.7 engine.

There are several for sale in my area ranging from 2014-2016 with low miles. Some seem to have the FFV engine, some don't.

I'm wondering if there is any reason to go with a specific year model in that range? Or a good reason to dodge the FFV?

Also, after buying a used or certified Tundra, can I get an extended warranty somewhere else at a good price? If so, where and what's a good price?

Anything else I need to consider? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
JMHO...Toyota Certified is a BS scam that allows them to sell a used vehicle at a higher price. Yes you get a little warranty with it, but it certainly isn't a huge selling point for me.

If I had it to do over, I would buy a non-FFV (if it was offered in my area) just because I have never and will never use flex fuel. I think the non-FFV's get oil changes every 10K miles and I have to get it every 5K miles.

2014-16 is pretty much the same truck as far as I know.

As far as warranty, there is a thread about where to purchase a 100K/7-8yr warranty at a great price, just search for it.

The only other thing is that sometimes you can get a new truck for about the same price as a used one in that year range. Thats why I bought new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MGMC #262
2014 Tundra CrewMax, 4X4, TSS in Mag Grey
TRD Swaybar*Bilstein 5100 -top setting, Bilstein 5160s*CB +2s*G-Tech Fab - SABM*Bakflip G2*BAM Budget System
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
I think the non-FFV's get oil changes every 10K miles and I have to get it every 5K miles.
You don't need a shorter oil change interval if you never use E85.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
@rruff , I asked the dealer and they said it doesn't matter. I have the extended warranty, so I'm going to continue that interval until my warranty is up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MGMC #262
2014 Tundra CrewMax, 4X4, TSS in Mag Grey
TRD Swaybar*Bilstein 5100 -top setting, Bilstein 5160s*CB +2s*G-Tech Fab - SABM*Bakflip G2*BAM Budget System
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Do you have to use the same 0-20w full synthetic oil on the shorter FFV oil change interval? I think it's $95 in my area.

It would make a difference if I had to do that every 5,000 miles instead of 10,000.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
@rruff , I asked the dealer and they said it doesn't matter. I have the extended warranty, so I'm going to continue that interval until my warranty is up.
Using AMSOIL Beyond 3000 mile oil changes and how it affects your vehicle warranty

Will extending oil change intervals void my warranty?

No. Extending oil change intervals will not void new vehicle warranties. To affect the vehicle warranty, it must be determined that the lubricant was directly responsible for the failure; if the oil didn’t cause the problem, the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.

Since non-FFV Tundras have 10k intervals it would be impossible for Toyota to make a viable case against 10k intervals in a FFV that only used standard fuel. I'd guess the reason they are not able to make this distinction in the owners manual is some legal requirement regarding the EPA concession they get for selling FF engines.

Last edited by rruff; 01-19-2017 at 05:13 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I think the certified warranty was fairly substantial. Don't recall specifics but a plus for sure. Might want a 16 as they had the larger fuel tank.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieb View Post
I think the certified warranty was fairly substantial. Don't recall specifics but a plus for sure. Might want a 16 as they had the larger fuel tank.

When I bought my 2014 certified it was a 12k warranty. My truck only had 20k miles so it was a moot point.

I did end up reporting the dealer to Toyota though. The cabin air filter and engine air filter were both filthy, both part of the certified check list. Then had another Toyota dealer do the certification for ease of mind. Figured if they were too lazy to check the easy stuff, you know they didn't check the other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieb View Post
Hmm, that is interesting. How much larger in the fuel tank in the 2016? That would be nice to have.

It sounds as if the FFV engine costs roughly $600 more a year to maintain as Toyota says the same oil is used in both FFV and non-FFV engines. I haul an RV a couple of times a month and the non-FFV is a proven workhorse for me, I'm just worried that the FFV might not be as reliable or fuel efficient, especially since it seems to need its oil changed more frequently than the non-FFV for some reason.

Are there any stories of the FFV not being as reliable as the non-FFV engine?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Here in Ohio I wanted a crewmax 4x4 2014 and I could only find FFV, so I didn't have a choice. It would be nice to have gotten the larger fuel tank, but Ill take what I can get and afford.

Id say just get the newest and lowest mileage truck you can afford.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Hmm, that is interesting. How much larger in the fuel tank in the 2016? That would be nice to have.

It sounds as if the FFV engine costs roughly $600 more a year to maintain as Toyota says the same oil is used in both FFV and non-FFV engines. I haul an RV a couple of times a month and the non-FFV is a proven workhorse for me, I'm just worried that the FFV might not be as reliable or fuel efficient, especially since it seems to need its oil changed more frequently than the non-FFV for some reason.

Are there any stories of the FFV not being as reliable as the non-FFV engine?
Bigger tank is an option. It won't necessarily be on the truck you want.

$600/yr? What are you smokin? That's at least 6 more oil changes per year. You drive 60k miles per year?

I know for me, the FFV will cost $0 more to maintain. There is no reason to change the oil more often unless you use E85.

The difference between the FFV and the non, is fuel lines, pump, and seals made to handle E85, and a computer that is able to sense the ethanol content. It *might* be less reliable if you burn E85, but on regular gas it should be the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to rruff For This Useful Post:
Schaffer05 (01-20-2017)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My bad, only $300 more a year for my driving habits.

That was my next question. What models have the bigger tank?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
2016+ with the SR5 upgrade package and higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I went from a 2006 Tundra DC SR5 to a 2008 Tundra DC SR5 TRD and love the extra room and towing power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in