Installing Flags in the Bed. Need Help. - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Contrary to what you believe, states don't have rights. States have powers. Only people are given rights by the U.S Constitution. No where in the U.S. Constitution is there a mention of "States rights". In the Articles of the Confederation, there was a mention of "State's Rights", but not the so in the U.S. Constitution. This can be referenced in the 10th Amendment-
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

BTW, I know I'm going to catch Hell for this.
That isn't exactly what i believe i was just restating a few things i heard my older brother and a few of his friends talking about(all of which graduated from Ivy Leagues, so at least they know what there talking about) but I think i interpreted differently

I however believe that under almost no circumstances should the rebel flag be considered racist or against America. I'm just tired of people looking at a flag and calling it racist but stays quiet when they hear almost any line of rap music. I'm proud of my heritage but shameful of slavery but I still feel I have the "right" to fly the flag as i please and that is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,061 Posts
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
This is an outsiders perspective. I do not consider the flying of The Confederate Flag to be a racist statement in its self, surely it can only be racist if that is the message the bearer of the flag is trying to send.

It is unfortunate that some hate groups use the flag as a symbol of their organizations (Neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan) etc. I feel it would be a tragedy if this then meant that Southerners lost the right to display pride in their origins, and also remember the many brave hero's who fought and died under their proud flag. If a terrorist group incorporated an image of the Statue of Liberty, I'm sure we would not be talking of tearing it down and building a Starbucks in its place LOL.

As I said I am an outsider, and therefore I am probably taking a simplistic view of this topic, it is just my 2 cents worth

Last edited by ponyuk; 07-19-2008 at 07:11 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,578 Posts
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
But a good view ponyuk. I'm pretty much like you Tampa about the flag. Yes you do get people that feel that way about flying that flag. You have to consider that source. Man I came from a parish when I was recruiting for the Navy, where over 80% of the people voted for David Duke for governor. Did they think this guy would get anything done in office? He couldn't get anything done as a state represenative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MIDNIGHT RIDER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:35 AM
[email protected] Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,628 Times in 5,307 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTundra09 View Post
I'm proud of my heritage but shameful of slavery but I still feel I have the "right" to fly the flag as i please and that is all.
Nobody said you don't have the right to fly the flag. That is part of what the US is all about. Just like all that rap music you mentioned has the right to say whatever they say. I just pointed out that you were planning to fly the flags of two opposing groups in history. Think of it like someone flying the flags of France and England together, only both still exist as a country. Or better yet, an English flag and an Irish flag.

But let me ask you this in a serious manner. You are obviously a person with a long time American heritage. Let's say I was flying the US flag and a flag with one of the following pictures on it. What would you think of it? Or what would you think of the basketball team? This is a serious question not intended to start a fight or anything. I am seriously asking what you would think when you saw it. This is open for whomever wants to share what they think when they see those pictures with swastikas in them.
Attached Images
File Type: gif swastikart2.gif (1.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png 143px-Swastik4.svg.png (6.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg basketball_team.jpg (15.0 KB, 11 views)

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2015 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.

Last edited by Toxarch; 07-20-2008 at 04:38 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,061 Posts
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You lost me here. This happens all the time; flags of different nations are often flown together (think of hotels across Europe, EU buildings, etc). In England during The World Cup (Football/Soccer) it was common to see countries flags flying from vehicles - regardless as to the country of origin.
Here at home in Texas we fly the Stars and Stripes and the Union Jack, side by side (even on the 4th ).

As for your picture of the swastikas, I cannot comment on it. I know too little about the source of your pictures, and the symbolism they were trying to display at the time. I feel (and this is completely without and basis of knowledge) that I can think of no valid reason to display the swastikas, that is I can think of no organization or group not associated with hate who currently associate themselves with the swastikas.

I sense an off topic thread about to be closed. It surprised me it lasted this long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
Think of it like someone flying the flags of France and England together, only both still exist as a country. Or better yet, an English flag and an Irish flag.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM
[email protected] Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,628 Times in 5,307 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyuk View Post
As for your picture of the swastikas, I cannot comment on it. I know too little about the source of your pictures, and the symbolism they were trying to display at the time. I feel (and this is completely without and basis of knowledge) that I can think of no valid reason to display the swastikas, that is I can think of no organization or group not associated with hate who currently associate themselves with the swastikas.

I sense an off topic thread about to be closed. It surprised me it lasted this long
That's the point. Individual perception and what you portray to others. If you saw me flying two flags, one being old glory and the other with a swastika, you immediately think of some type of hate group like Nazis. But in truth, none of those symbols are Nazi symbols. The swastika has been around for 3000+ years before the Nazis ever used it. It was found in native American culture. That picture of the basketball team with the swastikas is a group of native Americans, not Nazis. The swastika is also a religious symbol to about a billion Hindus. It means hope or luck. So while I might be displaying it to mean one thing, you perceive it as another. Same thing with the Confederate flag. He might be displaying it as cultural heritage, others might perceive it as hateful, and some others might see it as un-American. If you are OK with people seeing you as any of the above, then fly the flags with pride.

All mod descriptions and pictures 2007-2015 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:36 PM

Wow you learn something every day. The first symbol I had no clue and I couldn't say anything about it. The seond with the team I was thinking it's possibly a school emblem so I disregarded it. The last symbol I only known it as a German symbol. It could be related to WWII but it's also a marking for one of their squadrons of aircraft out of the Nato base in Sig Sicily. So that's where my thought went to the A/C.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the lesson TOX. Appreciate it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in