Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

!!!! Help !!!! Christmas Tree Lit Up On My Dash!

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  2008_CrewMax 
#1 ·

I got the VSC OFF flashing, the Check engine is on, the loss of tracking is flashing, and the 4LO is flashing.

Whats going on?

All this while the car is in park.

See less See more
#5 ·
Toyota likes to make everything flash when there is a problem. The more lights, the more serious they consider the problem. If it just showed "check engine" then you might get around to it later. If they turn all the lights on at once, then you are likely to go straight to the dealer. You have to find out what the code is to find out how serious it is.

The only problem the K&N might cause is oil on the MAF sensor. Some have cleaned their MAFs on the Tundra with a q-tip and been OK again. But find out if that is the problem before you try to clean it.

#6 ·
My vsc off and 4 hi were flashing when my wife let my daughter "play" in the driver seat. That 4 wheel drive switch looks like candy to her apparently.

#7 ·
oh yeah...it stayed on until the 3rd or 4th time I turned off and restarted

#9 ·
sadly the lights are still on. aren't going away. i would definitely agree that the k & N is causing it, but that doesn't explain why the 4lo is on. i am gonna drive around some more today, and then tomorrow morning im gonna clean the sensor. i dont have time for bullshit like this ahhhhhh!

#11 ·
Run by an auto store and borrow their ODBII code reader. Find out what the error code is and then clear it. Then look up what the code is. The lights came on for a reason.

#10 ·
Here's something that was told to me by a Ford tech about the check engine light. It will go off and reset itself after 8 cycles. One cycle equals start, run for awhile, and stop. This was when I had those nasty 400 codes on the F-150 that I couldn't get rid of.

#14 ·
hey dave thanks for the offer. i live in glendale. I've got a buddy thats a mechanic at a Major toyota dealership in los angeles. he's coming over tonight with his scanner, and a special cleaner for the sensor. he's a good friend and very good at his work. im confident he's going to be able to help. i will keep you guys updated as soon as we figure out what's going on. thanks for every one's advice. i will be checking all your feedback with my buddy tonight.

#13 ·
I don't know about the other lights, but my truck check engine light came on and showed 7 codes at the parts store, the K&N filter had loosened up and was coming off. There was a gap where the filter clamps on and it was sucking to much air.
Someone here posted a while back that they had to replace their MAF sensor due to oil contamination, and that it was expensive. He subsequently got rid of the K&N. Can't figure why, there is MAF sensor cleaner available. As long as those tiny platinum wires are intact and there is no other damage, the sensor should just clean up. My K&N has not deposited any noticeable oil residue in my intake, but I will get some of the MAF cleaner, before I do my K&N cleaning/recharge, just in case I apply too much oil.

#19 ·
Glad you got it figured out and cleaned. Have you cleaned and oiled your K&N or was that factory oiled?

#20 ·
Hey, I just put the K&N cold air intake on my 2008 tundra, did great for a week, then my lights went off also...took to toyota dealer, they said there is nothing they can do about it...that i have to put factory air box back on-----NEVER!!!!!!!! So where can I get the cleaner for the maf sensor?

#22 ·
My Tundra just did the same thing last night as I was driving home. The VSC and 4lo lights are flashing along with the trac and engine lights are on. After reading this post I disconnected the neg terminal for awhile and checked the intake connections for leaks. That didnt work and the lights are all still on and flashing. The engine itself doesnt seem to be running any different except for the downhill assist braking wont stop even at very slow speeds. I just dropped her off at the dealer to have them take a look at it. Hopefully they can get it done today since Im hoping to go out of town this weekend otherwise I may have to take the beater and risk a break down. Im hoping this has nothing to do with the s/c at all. The dealer will call later today and let me know whats going on.

#23 ·
Just got the Tundra back from the dealer. The codes showed it was running lean and tried to clear them but they would come right back. They checked it all out and couldnt find anything wrong with the engine etc. They spoke with TRD and Toyota engineers and have determined that it might be a case of bad gas. The dealer says they have seen an increase of the gas companies increasing the amount of ethanol in the gas without posting it. Instead of 10% ethanol as posted they are seeing numbers closer to 20% ethanol. With the s/c the Tundra is even more sensitive to this.

Im going to run a few tanks of gas thru it and return to the dealer to clear the codes out of it and be more careful where I buy my gas at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.