Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Thinking Of Trading In My Tundra

9K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Bluewoo 
#1 ·
Well fellas I've been kicking around the idea of trading in my 2016 Tundra Crew Cab 4x4 with TRD Off-Road Package for a New 2017 Dodge Cummins 2500 Crew Cab 4x4. I'm 50/50 on this as of right now. I love my Tundra but I've always wanted a diesel for when I do tow. I'm thinking long term for reliability and what would be less stressful on the power train. Which ever truck I end up with I do plan on keeping for a very long time. My Tundra is stock right now and plans were to level it with bigger tires which I know will effect towing and fuel mileage. Right now they have the 2017 Dodge Cummins 2500's for about $40K which is what I paid for my Tundra and I think that down the road the Cummins will hold more value than the Tundra but I may be wrong. Any of you fellas own or have any experience with the newer 4th Gen 2500 Cummins Trucks? Any advice, both good and bad would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#47 ·
Been there done that. Had a 2013 Ram Cummins. It was a beast! But for an occasional tow and daily driver "Not Good!"
If your looking for something that lasts a daily driven new diesel is not it. Go back to that dealer and look under it at all the sensors in just the exhaust alone. Then open hood and look at lack of room even with a I6 motor. Resale value with Tundra is right up there with the diesel in my experience. I tow a Jeep JK 4 door. Weights about 7K. My Tundra has 4 inch lift and 285/75r18's (35x11.5) She tows it just fine. Sure my mileage sucks. But by the time you factor in maintenance (two fuel filters a year etc) def fluid, anytime it goes into regen your mpg plumit, the cost between the two is not that far off. Not saying don't do it but if it's just because "I always wanted one" let me save you that one.

#49 ·
If your only towing 3 times a year who cares what fuel mileage you get. And the tundra will handle that load no problem. There is guys pulling travel trailers all over the place pushing 10k in weight with no problems. Just through wheels and tires on level it out and get some air bags. Ive got 33s on mine and i pulled a cargo trailer with two quads in it and and all my hunting camping gea, weighed in close to 5-6k, up some steep grades and truck towed it like a champ got 10 mpg. I can live with that.

#52 ·
Probably a good idea. Don't mind the troll. He's been running about this place bragging about how great Fords are, while bashing the Tundra, despite his user name. I don't know why he doesn't just buy one and stfu. Maybe he'll somehow bring Tronald Dump into the equation.

I say buy what suits your needs. If it doesn't match my choice, no biggie.

#54 · (Edited)
Wow GM and Ford together on the 10 speed trans.................2017 Ford F-150 3.5L V-6 EcoBoost 10-Speed First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

The engine comes paired exclusively with a 10-speed automatic transmission co-developed with General Motors. The unit cleverly packs its six clutches and four planetary gearsets into a package barely larger and heavier than the six-speed it replaces, and its ratios and internals are shared with the General Motors version.
Ford calls this EcoBoost “all new,” and indeed it carries over only the old engine’s bore center dimension, piston displacement, and cylinder liners. The block is new, the turbos are new, the cooling system (which features new flow paths and a higher-volume, higher-rate water pump) is new, and the fuel-delivery system now employs both direct and port injectors for improved emissions and more power.
Port injectors? Intake valve Carbon removers I.M.O.:eek:

O.P. Please keep your Tundra for Christ sake!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.