Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Sattilite Radio

3K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  polcat 
#1 ·
My 08 Tundra has the basic 6CD stereo. The AM button has AM/SAT on it. Does this indicate that I have some Sattilite capability? If so then with what company. As normal the Manual is of little use.

Thanks

#3 ·
So do I plug it into the AUX connector like I would my MP3 player? I don't understand why the seperate button on the AM button? How do you connect it? Can't I listen on my reciever with any if I tune it in to the common frequency? I don't see the difference.

#4 · (Edited)
No, the satellite receiver will plug into the rear of your head unit and you will control it with the controls on your existing radio. You can have 18 preset stations, similar to your FM and AM presets. You have to remove the stereo, route the cables behind the dash and mount the satellite antenna. It's not difficult, but it takes about an hour of labor to take the dash apart and install the receiver and antenna.

If you get a separate, stand-alone satellite receiver, you can play it through the AUX port, but you won't be able to control it with your radio controls.

#6 ·
...go with sirius, xm is definetly on the downhill slump, the two companys are gonna merge and sirius will be the medium. SIRIUS rules.
Actually, that's not really correct. XM has more subscribers, more revenue, more terrestrial repeaters and better sound quality than Sirius. Both companies are losing money, but Sirius has posted losses totalling almost 2x as much in the past 12 months.

In today's quarterly earnings release, XM posted losses of $129.3M while increasing revenue by 17%. They also reported 303,000 new subscribers, which is up 6.3% from the previous quarter. That gives them a total of 9.3M paid subscriptions...1M more than Sirius.

Sirius has also reduced its estimates for revenue and subscriber growth in FY08. In fact, they believe they will actually begin to lose retail subscribers completely by year end and rely solely on OEM subscriptions to drive growth. Sirius will release it's quarterly earnings after market close today.

Sirius has also delayed the launches of their new satellites (FM-5 and FM-6) by at least a year (2009 and 2012 respectively).

After completion of the merger, most experts believe the current XM format will the be the primary offering while many of Sirius's more popular programs/channels will be pushed over.

#19 ·
Stern and O&A are both proof that you'll never go broke if you pander to the lowest common denominator. I'm absolutely stunned every time I hear of an adult that actually listens to any of them.

However, if someone offered me a $500M contract to sit around and tell fart jokes all day, I just might be tempted.

#20 · (Edited)
I have both!! lol I switched from XM because I think the rock is better with Sirius. That is my primary choice. I do like the euro trance and dance selection from XM better than Sirius. I paid for XM for "X" number of months and still have some time left. I do not care for any talk type shows...thats is why I chose sat radio. Commercial free, hence NO TALKING. I am from Philadelphia and have listened to Howard for years due to the fact that on my commute to work @ 530am, there wasn't the best choice of music. He has his moments, but I would rather listen to the radio for the MUSIC, not some gay talk show.
Bottom line, look at all the music selections from each and I am sure at least two of your friends have one of each sat option. Just cruse through each one and to the genre you like best for a little bit and make the call your self. It takes a little time, but I think both have their perks.

#27 ·
XM was launched in 2001, Sirius in 2002. That is not "quite awhile after XM"
Maybe you shouldn't give your opinions as fact.

#29 ·
Yes, O & A have some commercial. Remember me saying they are on FM radio. Sp they do have about 4-5 minutes commercials every hour. You need some time to use the bathroom and rest for a few minutes.

Plus I was talking about the commercial free music.

Once again, get your facts straight, Bubba did not beat them in the ratings, your just lying now.

Once again, look at the facts. If Opie and Anthony were trash, they wouldn't have any ratings and they wouldn't just have signed an extention now would they? Why would a company want a radio show with no listeners. You are just making things up now.

I will enjoy them while they are around, aaannndd for many years to come.. We will see who will win in the end.....

#33 ·
Its funny listening to everybody's 2 cents (including mine)on which satellite company is better. I think this a subject that will never be agreed upon by all. I guess thats why there are choices. If they merge, which we all know is inevitable, that choice will be gone. Lets hope that they leave it some what open as to which set up you might want. I spoke to our customer service rep for Sirius and she told me that when the merge happens, they will set up packages kind of like your cable company. That is their projected plan, but as time goes on that might change once again. I guess nothing is set in stone until it happens. we shall see what happens. I am anxious to see their plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.