Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 Week after I removed my Volant - impressions

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  TundraDude85 
#1 ·
First - noticed the lack of 'throaty' sound at startup.

Second - throttle response felt a little lackluster.

But now, I don't miss the sound - and the throttle has either adjusted after a week or I've gotten used to it. Doesn't seem to be lacking any power and my gas mileage went from 11.9 avg to 13.1 avg.

I'm happy without it!

On ebay the Volant goes!

#2 ·
I have always said it OEM works best.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#3 ·
I agree, after two years of aftermarket cai and exhaust. I decided to remove both, low end power has returned and milage went up.. sad but true.

#4 · (Edited)
I go through stuff like this with my kid all the time. "Just leave it alone".

Edit: but I've learned that by messing with things, thinking that I could do better in my garage and driveway than the folks in the car factories. Sure, there are some improvements I can do. Floormats come to mind. And I have modded more than one car bit by bit to the point it was usable only on track, no longer streetable.

Nowadays I love having a vehicle that's almost stock. And I know how mods reduce the value of a vehicle almost every time.

#5 ·
I have a volant on my wife's Xb, I have to take it off for smog occasionally and she can always tell that it's a dog without it. It's a dog with it but just a little happier. I've had previous vehicles respond well to K&N and Volant. But they also had very restrictive looking and intakes. The factory Toyota one looks after market in style already as well as functionality. Perf!!!

#6 ·
Most of this stuff is good on the dyno @ wide open throttle but daily driving is just a waste of money. Noise makes you thinks its better! I had a 88 mustang GT with only k&n drop in cat delete kit , 3:55 gears and Yokohama soft comp tires - I ran 14.3's all day long and back then factory corvettes were chasing me in the 1\4, and the buick grand national's were destroying everybody! (Tundra) I just run premium when towing and keep fresh air filter in it. 14.6 mpg daily driving and run those P rated tires @ 41 psi.

#7 ·
buick grand national's were destroying everybody!
The trick to beating them was to catch them from a standing start. Very few knew how to spool the turbo properly, and those cars were dead slow off the line if the driver just floored it from idle. In this case the 5.0 could holeshot the GN and hold them off until about 100 km/h, where many GN owners figured they were beaten and gave up. Make no mistake, with the right driver they were unbeatable, but in practical scenarios (i.e. at a red light) not everyone knew how to get the most out of them.

#11 ·
#16 ·
You mean you simply replaced the actually paper filter for a K&n filter?

I'm debating now just for the sound too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I doubt it, that guy on YT has a DC TRD Pro.

Correct, I am NOT him.

I am tundradude85, he is tundradude34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.