Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Double Cab or Crew Max? That is the question

116K views 60 replies 41 participants last post by  Mickey 
#1 ·
Torn between getting a Double Cab or Crew Max and I'm weighing my options. The biggest reason for me wanting to get a Crew Max is because I can get a sunroof and it has the power rear window. What, in your opinion has sold more to date, Double Cab or Crew Max? I know it's kind of expensive to buy a CM, just to get the sunroof and power rear window. Anybody want to put their 2 cents in, and try and help me with this decision making process? Which of the two do you think would resell faster a few years down the road if I did decide to sell?

Would love to hear what you guys have to say or your experiences.

Thanks

#3 ·
how tall are you? the sunroof takes away headroom. I'm 6' and have only about 2 inches of clearance between me and the headliner (no sunroof).

the power rear window would be awesome. the sliding rear window in the DC is small.

I got the DC because I needed a full size bed, and that was only available on the DC in 07. I've had adults ride back there, and there is plenty of room. (not as much as the CM though).

So far, very happy with the DC

#4 ·
Right now in my area CM models are selling like crazy. I personally got the Double Cab model because I wanted the 6 foot bed, the power rear window really isn't a concern for me, I've always had manual sliding rear windows, and never had a problem with them failing so no big deal there. I also got the Tundra Grade, in order to get the bench seat in the front.

Doesn't matter which one you get, people are still going to stare at your truck. Even people that drive older 1st generation Tundra's stare at the new ones.

Personally I think that the CM models will sell faster and retain a slightly higher resale value just for the fact that everyone wants one. Plus my dealer said that they are pushing the CM Tundra over SUV's for soccer moms.

#6 ·
I initially wanted the DC only because I couldn't get the CM in a V6. When I saw the rear sliding window on the CM, that was it, I had to have it. I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate all the room in this truck. I'm 6'6", and with my drivers seat in a comfortable position, I had a 6'4" friend sit directly behind me, who was able to do so quite comfortably. I am very glad I chose the CM. The bed size wasn't an issue for me, since I didn't really even NEED truck to begin with. But I'm sure one day I'll be glad I have a bed, for something is bound to come up.

G
#8 ·
I have the DC and it works great for me. I needed the bigger bed to load my ATV in. I have had 3 adults in the rear seat and it worked pretty good. 3 were a bit cramped but 2 fit really nice. I just didn't need all that room inside the cab. I have the under seat storage box for the DC that you can't get in the CM and a narrow tool box in the bed. So I have tons of extra storage and can still get my atv in the bed. My 1.5 cents because I don't have the full 2 cents.

#9 ·
Love my crewmax for the interior room. At first i was worried about the shorter bed, but i work around it. If im hauling something long, just drop the tailgate down and strap everything tight. Other than that everything else fits nicely. I like the looks of the crewmax also.

That's my 2 cents, need change back please.

#10 ·
I have a CM with sunroof and chose the CM over the DC because of interior room. I have 3 boys and there is plenty of room for them and all their gear. I don't haul that much so the bed being shorter is not that important but towing is. I am only 6' but my brother in law is 6'5 and he drives my truck all the time. No head clearance problems at all and that is with a sunroof. Regardless of what you choose, people will stop you and ask to see inside. AWESOME!

#11 ·
I personally think the DC looks alot better as well as having a larger bed. I have had a friend who is around 6' 4-5", Im 6', sit behind me when I was driving and he was comfortable. I originally wanted the CM because I like having 4 doors and wanted the interior space. and even a little more as I wascoming from a 05 4runner. The DC is deffinately wider than the 4runner and rear seat room is comparable. If you ust want the CM for the sunroof and rear window, I would say DC for sure.

Its hard to say in a few years which will have better resale. I would normally say the CM but the DC has 4 full doors, no previous tundra has. But the DC has plenty of room and a bigger bed, and even prob a little bit better fuel economy, As well as it looks better. The DC is a truck that has plenty of interior room for 4 even 5 full sized adults and it has a fully useable bed.

I say DC but thats just me.

#12 ·
You just can't beat the CM for the interior room. The amount of space in the back seat is rediculous. The biggest drawback is the short bed, but if you don't have to haul much, it won't make any difference...whichever way you go, you'll end up with a hell of a truck...

#13 ·
Took me a while before I made a decision...DC won over CM for me..I went for the bed size and DC has enough room in back seat anyways...

#14 ·
The wife and I did not decide on the CM until we were at the dealership. Originally we were going to go with the DC because local prices were in the
30's for the DC and mid to high 30's for the CM. I just could not see the 5K for the CM. We have three small children; 2, 4, 6, and the DC did have enough room when we test drove it. Now, long story short, go out of town and decide to take a look at a larger dealership with a bit of competition and the CM was cheaper then the DC was locally. We loaded the kids up in the CM and it just made sense. A lot more room, rear vents, sliding window, power outlet for DVD or games... no brainer. The larger dealership got us into a CM for 2K less then then the local dealer wanted for the DC. Plus as the kids get older they will need the room.

Eric

#15 ·
I chose the CM with sunroof option. Absolutely love it. The only real reason to choose the DC to me would be the bed length and possibly a small difference in price. However, bed length was not a big deal to me. I just needed enough space to throw in some tree stands and the occassional deer. Any significant hauling, I use a utility trailer - i.e. mulch, etc. The interior space is huge. I believe there is a full 10 inch difference in the rear seat area with the CM. I also have the sunroof and I wouldn't have bought it without it. When you open the roof along with the side windows and put down the rear power window, you're completely wide open. Real nice on those warm summer nights. I'm 6'1" and I have no problems with headroom whatsoever. As to possible resale, I think both models will do well. It's really all about what you want your truck for. For me, I tow and I have several "full size" buddies I hunt with and they appreciate the extra space in the back.

#16 ·
For me if the CM came with the 6.5' bed I would have gone that way. I love the roll down window too. I went with the DC because I wanted the 6.5' bed and the car seat fits fine in the back. So thats my 2 cents

#17 ·
Crewmax Limited. The only thing I regret isn't getting the camera in the tailgate so I can hook up my boat with no assistance. I'm 6' and have good clearance. Son - in - law is 6'2" and he drove it with no probelm. He also sat in the back behind me and had plenty of leg room. He was shocked at that along with the fact the back seat can be moved up 11 inches and reclined back. It's a 60/40 back seat. Haven't had a problem with the 5.5 foot bed. I utilize the tailgate to load my wood and strap it down. I do believe and now my wife believes me that the looks you get with all 5 windows down sunroof opened jamming to XM/MP3 player or my choice of 6 cd's. Not to mention the respect you get going to the dealer from sales personnel to other Toyota owners. If it's space you want than CM is the way to go. I bought mine with the thought this will be my last investment on a vehicle. So I went all the way. Wish you luck and you will win either way you go. You're going with the best Tundra.

#18 ·
I miss the room I had in my 05 "crew" cab but I seldom have more than 2 people now so the little bit of room lost was ok. I think the new crew has HUGE rear doors and looks a bit odd compared to dble cab. Crew also has very small bed, almost too small. Reminds me of one of those chevy/gmc truck/suv combo things (god forgive me)As for the rear window, very cool option, i had it on the 05. Only time I used was when I said "hey, want to see somthing cool". I bet I used it a handfull of times, thats it. And before power rear window, i never used it. Sunroof, very nice. Instead of the extra scratch on the crew, find out if aftermarket roof might be possible.
Or better yet, go for it! limited crew, roof, nav, trd, wheels, liner, cover shoot the wad!

#19 ·
For me, I chose the CrewMax over the Double Cab for the following reasons:

1. I wanted the extra room in the cab (there was a substantial difference to my eye)

2. The rear seats can recline which is more comfortable for my kids, plus lots of leg room and space for the dog

3. I love a sunroof - always have - and I am really glad I got this with my Tundra

4. The loss of box length wasn't an issue for me (only 12") between the CrewMax short box and the Double Cab standard box

5. I prefer the look of the two proper doors vs. the look of the Double Cab. The CrewMax looked closer to my last truck, an F-150 Supercrew.

The rear power window is useful but wasn't a key decision influencer for me. Good luck in your decision - you can't go wrong with a Tundra. Oh, and be sure to get the 5.7 L ! :D

#20 ·
What I really miss on just about all full size trucks is, auto makers (most)
stopped making EXTENDED cab trucks. Toyota's CM and DC trucks are ok
IF you need it. What I need is just a little more room behind the seat. The
reg cab Toyota is ok BUT extended would be better.

GM's extended cabs might as well be DC's in my book.
Dodge stopped making extended and Ford, well they have a LOT of other
problems to work out. We have two of them here at work and I'm here to
tell you, junk, junk junk. Talk about many many breakdowns.

Just my nickels worth guys...

#22 ·
I have no reason at all for the extra room in the CM. I ended up with one because the DCs available didn't have what I wanted and the dealer made me a smokin' deal to get the truck off his lot. I figured I'd live with what I thought was kind of a goofy looking truck.

I drove a DC for a week while the dealer was color sanding scratches out of the CM that his porters had put there for me. This was after driving the CM for about a month.

I missed my sliding window, the big rear windows, and the extra room. The headrests in the DC were far more in my line of sight than the CM and kept bugging me. I never even noticed the extra 6" of bed, but I sure missed the extra cabin room.

#23 ·
My crew will do. It fits in my extended and expanded 3 car garage.....Right next to my boat....Great fun to be had in a Tundra....Coming to a corner near you...This is "The New Heartbeat of America".....

#25 ·
The big influence in my decision was what I really needed a truck for, which was nothing.

I drove both the CM and the DC at a few different dealerships and got prices to see who had the best deal. I ended up with the CM for a few reasons:

1. I don't really haul much of anything except a few coolers/luggage.

2. My next three purchases are going to be a boat, a trailer for 4-wheelers and my 4-wheeler.

3. Most of my friends are big guys like myself (6'2", 280). The extra leg room goes a long way.

I proved the need in Florida a few weeks ago. I had 5 guys in the truck, towing my buddy's 28' fishing boat (total weight was around 11,000) with a few coolers and some fishing stuff. No issues, everyone was comfortable in the truck with plenty for room for 5 guys all around 200-300 lbs and 6' tall.

Either way though, get the best deal and what you're going to use it the most for: hauling/towing, etc.

#26 ·
By far, the CM is the best! If you're not worried about losing 6 inches from the bed (fold the back seats down and you get the 6 inches back with covering for things you don't want to get wet). My friends call this truck "THE LIMO" because of the huge space in the back for seating.

CrewMax - there's no other!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.