Fuel Tank - 26.5 gallons? - Page 4 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
When your towing a travel trailer and only getting 9.5 mpg, that puts me at a 200 mile range. Try telling the wifey, that the orange "low fuel" light on the dash means I have another 4-5 gals left. Life will get tough real fast. On our long Alaska trips, I will carry a extra 5 gallon gas can. Sure wish my 2014 Tundra had the larger 38 gallon tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah I hear you superslif.
I'm in the same boat, we have a 25ft camper. I haven't towed with it yet, just bought my 2014 Limited CM.
I was told that I should be looking for a gas station after 2.5 hrs of driving to be on the safe side.
Kind of wish I bought a newer truck for the larger tank.
But it also has a large reserve tank but it's still more than our registered 80L or so.
I like your idea of having a 5gal can for peace of mind.
On a more positive note. My neighbor across the street has a 2010 Sequioa with the 5.7L he told me he towed a 6000Lb flat trailer (+what ever vehicle, I didn't ask) and got 15mpg! He said it was better than when he's not towing, now I know there was no wind drag like my camper but that was nice to hear.
I know theres no way I'll get that.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Rant switch moved to "ON" position...

This thread was started 11 years ago. Toyota didn't make a move to address fuel capacity until 2016 or so.

We're talking about carrying around 5-gallon cans of fuel for relatively new vehicles, and we're on the doorstep of the year 2019. Spare fuel cans is something I would have expected for my Dad's 1970 Ford F100. That was going on 50 years ago.

My 2015 with the small tank has a winter season fuel range of about 280-290 miles. Because it's a daily driver with a 60-mile roundtrip commute, that means I refuel about every 4 work days or so.

Unfortunately, Transferflow recently stopped making large fuel tanks for the Tundra. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of those. I've looked at threads on the forum and it appears that simply buying and installing a larger Toyota OEM tank is still quite impractical.

In my opinion, the fuel tank business is emblematic of how Toyota has been frittering away their top-tier auto industry reputation. Go look at the "What I hate about my Tundra" thread and one can see other items that have a number of folks spun up. I have my own list of items for my 2015.

We recently had to buy an unplanned replacement for the wife's 2008 Highlander after said Highlander was schwacked on the Interstate by an 18-wheeler. We looked at Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Hyundai for a compact SUV in the RAV4 class. The Toyota wasn't even in the same class as the Honda CR-V, so we ended up buying a Honda. The CR-V was better equipped, cost less for comparable trim lines, gets better mileage, rides better, and is quieter than the RAV. Honda's reliability is on par with Toyota.

Our transition away from Toyota has begun, I think. I'm not planning to replace the Tundra anytime soon, but if I'm forced to, the Ford and the Ram will get a lot longer look next time around. Reliability is about all Toyota has going for it any longer; they're fortunate that Honda hasn't moved into the full-size truck market.

OK....rant switch in "OFF" position...

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I carry a Jerry can or two with me on long trips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRay View Post
Rant switch moved to "ON" position...

This thread was started 11 years ago. Toyota didn't make a move to address fuel capacity until 2016 or so.

We're talking about carrying around 5-gallon cans of fuel for relatively new vehicles, and we're on the doorstep of the year 2019. Spare fuel cans is something I would have expected for my Dad's 1970 Ford F100. That was going on 50 years ago.

My 2015 with the small tank has a winter season fuel range of about 280-290 miles. Because it's a daily driver with a 60-mile roundtrip commute, that means I refuel about every 4 work days or so.

Unfortunately, Transferflow recently stopped making large fuel tanks for the Tundra. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of those. I've looked at threads on the forum and it appears that simply buying and installing a larger Toyota OEM tank is still quite impractical.

In my opinion, the fuel tank business is emblematic of how Toyota has been frittering away their top-tier auto industry reputation. Go look at the "What I hate about my Tundra" thread and one can see other items that have a number of folks spun up. I have my own list of items for my 2015.

We recently had to buy an unplanned replacement for the wife's 2008 Highlander after said Highlander was schwacked on the Interstate by an 18-wheeler. We looked at Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and Hyundai for a compact SUV in the RAV4 class. The Toyota wasn't even in the same class as the Honda CR-V, so we ended up buying a Honda. The CR-V was better equipped, cost less for comparable trim lines, gets better mileage, rides better, and is quieter than the RAV. Honda's reliability is on par with Toyota.

Our transition away from Toyota has begun, I think. I'm not planning to replace the Tundra anytime soon, but if I'm forced to, the Ford and the Ram will get a lot longer look next time around. Reliability is about all Toyota has going for it any longer; they're fortunate that Honda hasn't moved into the full-size truck market.

OK....rant switch in "OFF" position...

Itís all relative. Before you start looking at the big three, maybe you should look at their lists of owners complaints. Ford brakes dying after two years, Ram engines using two or more quarts of oil between changes. My folks own a Ď14 CRV, they like it but itís far from perfect by their own admission. Iíll admit the Ď07 Tundra fuel tank was a goof. It was my chief complaint on mine. I drove it for almost twelve years before finally trading it in on a Ď19 Platinum, the sole mechanical issue being a water pump leak in year nine. You just think youíre unhappy with Toyota now. Try something different for a while and get back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnl1996 View Post
On a more positive note. My neighbor across the street has a 2010 Sequioa with the 5.7L he told me he towed a 6000Lb flat trailer (+what ever vehicle, I didn't ask) and got 15mpg! He said it was better than when he's not towing, now I know there was no wind drag like my camper but that was nice to hear.
I towed my 4500ish pound boat on a 2800 mile trip with my 14 Tundra, and got 15.9 mpg for the trip, so I don't doubt your neighbors claim at all. Wind resistance, which is very low with a boat or flat trailer, makes a huge difference.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I got the TRD-PRo 2016 with 38 gallon tank, and i've just grown used to the gross offset error. Now, when it said range is 0, i know I have 10 gallons remaining and can go another 120-140 miles!

The closest I pushed it was 120 miles since DTA was "0" and tank showing empty, and I still only filled 36.5 gallons.

People that say its safety reserve is nonsense, NOBODY ever needs 8-10 gallons of fuel for reserve. I think it was just a sloppy error on Toyotas part, as the new 2018's or whenever they have the newer dash/display with all the extra safety sense features, the DTA is more accurate and where it SHOULD be
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCNorth View Post
That would be nice if more gas was getting pumped! ha. (actually, that 60.8L cost me $65.63 at $1.079/litre. Gas is expensive up here in Canada!)
WOO . . HOO . . . BCNorth .Nice to spot something in our language here . . lol . . .I am also in BC Canada
My 2018 is still very new so I have not done a lot of checking mileage or gas consumption yet but last time I filled up it said it was good for 770 km before empty .I am not sure how many litre tank it has simply because I have not checked the specs in the manual yet

Last edited by barnyo; 01-03-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fuel Tank - 26.5 gallons?

I have a new 2019 platinum. Ran it down to E with the low fuel indicator screaming at me. The tank took 31 gallons to fill up so Iím looking at a 7 gallon reserve. I realize the pump sits in the tank, but it seems a little wasteful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
i would rather get Fuel at the yellow warning , then take it to the extreme and estimate how much till the trucks stumbles and stops.
Aside from the fuel pump needing cooling ( so im told , not completly sold on that yet ) and having to replace an in tank fuel pump . Yall ever dropped a tank ? Didnt think so , its not fun .

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You guys ever think that the pumps donít actually pump exact gallons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjpa808 View Post
You guys ever think that the pumps donít actually pump exact gallons?

They actually do . And MOST are checked periodically by the state .

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
The Following User Says Thank You to 24hrsparkey For This Useful Post:
Johnjpa808 (06-12-2019)
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Never knew that I always shake it to get every drop lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in