Truck Bed Configuration Rant - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by konajoe View Post
Are the notches on your bed funny shaped, such that the cross boards only make contact for about 1/3"? How many inches is it from he bed floor to the bottom of the cross boards?
Are they shaped funny? I'm not sure. It's just a notch. I throw in 2 2x4's that were cut so tight that you have to push and twist to get them to lock in. Then I bought two plywood sheets and cut them down to size. You need two because the crewmax's bed measurements. Those run from the front of the bed to the tailgate.

As for inches from bed floor to 2x4, I'm guessing 10 inches? It's enough that shotgun cases fit under neath, camping stove, boots, etc...

I then throw 3 large kennels on the top of the plywood loaded with 80lb labs for bird hunting. Strap the kennels down and away I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I just eyeballed mine. Consider mitering the 2x4's if you are concerned about the fit. Looks to me it would work well and the wheel wells will support the plywood too. Definitely a way to make it happen.

~ Some get spiritual because they see the light and some 'cause they feel the heat - Ray Wylie Hubbard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWRRC #2
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Yep, just look at mine too. It is a strange pattern they used. Perhaps you have to use custom made 2x8 or 2x10 standing on edge? I have no idea?

I think this falls into the category of "where the heck is the load flat floor?" LOL That is something I still miss every single day I use it - but at least the truck "goes" which is missing from other brands.

I think all my previous trucks had the cut outs for at least 2x4, and I think the most recent fords had cut outs for 2x6 (Super Duty's I think?). Yep I found some photos of the SuperDuty's most of them appear to have cut outs is the side of the beds and at the top of the wheel wells; thus when you lay a 2x6 or 2x8 across the top, therefore your plywood is level across the support board and wheel well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 CM Limited 4x4 FFV
Off Road Pkg
Spray In Liner - Gulf States
KG Steps
JBL Upgraded Entune
Lux Pkg

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexTundra View Post
Yep, just look at mine too. It is a strange pattern they used. Perhaps you have to use custom made 2x8 or 2x10 standing on edge? I have no idea?
Perhaps a TRD 2x4?

~ Some get spiritual because they see the light and some 'cause they feel the heat - Ray Wylie Hubbard

TWRRC #2
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
i did it in mine the slots are for a 2x6 and some are for a 2x4 wheel well is one support ,works good if thats what you want .

some days your the dog, some days you are the tree.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My first gen has notches, and yeah, they're a little shallower than they could be. But if bedliners are going to influence your opinions of a truck, you gotta get your priorities straight.

One can still use his truck as a truck without some 2x4's compartmentalizing the bed. Besides, sofas and dirt bikes (among the other things I move) wouldn't fit between them

'07 SR5 DCLB, 5.7L 4x4. '12 TRD Wheel upgrade + 2.5" Front Lift
Leer Cap, Thule Rack, Tow Mirrors, Backup Camera, & No Nerf Bars.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Following

2015 Tundra SR5 TRD DC w/Navi, Spray in bed liner, Heater package, TRD sway bar, Vled's led upgrades, Ranch Hand Nerf bars, Tow Package, TRD style dual exhaust by BaMuffler, 40" Light bar, non matching TRD PRO Grill/Bulge, Rear seat mod, Magnum bumper, Smittybuilt winch MGMC#338

2013 4Runner Limited
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Anyone have pics of their bed with the board in the slots acting as dividers? I'm having trouble visualizing it just looking at my bed.

derp

2014 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4
SR5 Upgrade and TRD Offroad
Silver Sky over Graphite
DeMello Offroad Rock Crushers
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
following
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sounds like you should've bought a Chevy Avalanche.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
Anyone have pics of their bed with the board in the slots acting as dividers? I'm having trouble visualizing it just looking at my bed.
derp
This is my setup on my First Gen. The concept is the same for putting dividers back there on any Gen. Keeps my folding chair, cooler, whatever else I am carrying handy at the rear of the bed. Easy pull-up
to remove if needed. Lights under both side rails have a switch near the fire ex. for easy on/off when needed at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedrug.jpg (190.6 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg leftlites.jpg (50.2 KB, 162 views)

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 Ivan Stewart in Red Pearl.

New England Tundra Club Member #3

Forced Induction Club #13

Last edited by jbtoy1; 05-21-2015 at 10:08 AM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
@jbtoy1 - looks great with the carpet!!

derp

2014 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4
SR5 Upgrade and TRD Offroad
Silver Sky over Graphite
DeMello Offroad Rock Crushers
The Following User Says Thank You to derp For This Useful Post:
jbtoy1 (05-21-2015)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Garage
My Tacoma had those notches. They were necessary though because you can't fit drywall/plywood between the wheelwells, so you'd lay the 2x6s in there and you could lay things flat. The tundra has the vertical slots to hold a board like jbtoy1 shows. I've always got a board in the back of my truck with some D rings on it to keep things from sliding up in the bed, and I always bungee cord random things to it to keep them from falling over. i think it all works well. For what you're describing... you could just set in two 2x10 boards and set your plywood on top of it. If you want the space to easily slide things under just cut the boards and run them along the sides of the bed, set your cross boards on top of them and put some screws in them. Not AS convenient as having the notches in there, but it's a pretty easy problem to resolve.

The other thing I miss from my Tacoma was that composite bed. Not sure why they use it in the tacomas and not the tundras.... maybe it's not strong enough for the tundra? it was super convenient though.

While we're on the topic. I know the Tundra bed has the slots to hold a 2by in front and one behind the wheel wells, but there are a ton of other random bumps and shapes in the sides of the bed. I'm sure plenty of them are just bends for strength, but some of them are odd shaped. Is there any other design features built into the bed that I haven't picked up on? The slots for the two boards are the only ones I've picked up on so far.

2014 DC Off Road
Silver Sky Tundra Club #181

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Do you guys know if the bed for a 2013 CrewMax is the same as a 2015 crewmax?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in