Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Common Issues with the 2008 Tundra

16K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Furyataurus 
#1 ·
Hi guys. New member to the forum. I just purchased my first Tundra, a 2008 SR5 package with the 5.7. Time for me to start learning the ins and outs of maintaining the truck.

Wondering what common and well-known issues I should be aware of and be looking out for with this truck? Anything with the drivetrain, suspension, mechanical components, frame, rusting, etc…? Any general information and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#4 ·
I haven't heard of the water pump issue, but the two common issues I have had with my 08 are was the AIP (dealing with now) and the front differential (last fall). Both were covered under Toyota Service Bulletins so no cost to me.

#6 ·
Around 60k miles I had a grinding from the front. Brought it to Toyota and they said there was a service bulliten out for a failed part within the differential. It caused the grinding when the weather was cold. They found some metal shavings in the diff oil and took it in right away. After a day they tore down the diff rebuilt it with the better part. It was a $2500 bill with no cost to me. You can search around on the forum and find more about it. No issues with it since!

#8 ·
1. water pump at 40K or later

2. front timing cover oil leak on power steering side and/or a/c compressor side

3. camshaft housing/cradle(s) oil leak

4. starter at around 100K+

5. alternator at around same time

6. right rear wheel bearing

7. fuel pump sending unit, tells you tank is 1/4 when it's actually empty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.