Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Ignition Key will not turn. Its not the wheel lock. Help!!

19K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  murrayjestin7 
#1 ·
This problem just started at random today. My ignition key wont turn. My truck is a 2000 with under 70K miles.

The key goes in smooth but stops about 1/8 inch too early and takes a little extra force to get in all the way in. Once its there I can turn the key enough to unlock the steering wheel, but cant turn it farther to start the engine. After messing with it for about 5 minutes it will start, but it will lock the same one once I turn it off again, even if I dont take the key out. What the hell should I do about this!?

#4 ·
Just for the heck of it (can't mess it up if it's already broken) spray some lubricant into the lock mechanism and on the key. A good lubricant can be WD40, or even a fine lightweight oil like 3-in-1. Then run the key in and out of the ignition a few times and spray it again.

You may end up having to replace the lock mechanism. But this trick may help get your truck going until you can replace it.

Good Luck.

#6 ·
If you take off the column cover where you can see the base of the ignition cylinder there used to be a recessed button. As long as your key still turns you simply push the button in and either pull out the cylinder with your key or maybe turn and pull. I don't remember but I had that problem with my 04 Tundra. Got a new cylinder rekeyed so I didn't have to replace all of the keys.

Best of luck

#7 ·
Before you replace the lock cylinder I would start with getting a new key cut at the dealer. Make sure they cut it by code, don't copy the old key. It sounds like your key is worn and not operating the lock cylinder properly.

If you have the key code tag that would make your life easier. Otherwise you will need proof of ownership, license plate number, and your id. Also I would call ahead and make sure the proper people will be around to get the code. Toyota just changed the process to get a key code and it requires a manager.

#8 ·
Yep, that's a good idea. If it doesn't work the OP will at least have a new key if he needs to change the cylinder.

Can't believe a locksmith couldn't cut the key with the tumblers.

Reactions: Toyotapartspro
#10 ·
I was just going by what the OP originally stated. He couldn't find a locksmith to do it.

Like you I'm sure the dealer would be cheaper, but unless I want to drive 84 miles the three local dealer 10-24 miles won't get a lick of my business.

If you have seen some of my posts on a dealer problem thread you'd know why.

Reactions: Powertechn2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.