New Tundra - tonneau and drop in bed liner - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Tundra - tonneau and drop in bed liner

Hi Everybody,

New to the site. Did as much hunting to this question but didn't find the specific info I'm looking for yet. Sorry if it's been discussed to death.

Took delivery on a new 2015 SR5 CM yesterday. It came with dealer installed Toyota drop-in bed liner and the deck rail system.

Looking to install a fold up or roll up bed cover... and would like to do as little modification (cutting) of the bed liner as possible. Looks to me like the bed liner stops before the rails.

Has anybody been able to install a cover they like WITHOUT cutting the bed liner? Can they be mounted directly to the deck rail system? (realizing this would now render it otherwise useless)

Otherwise, guessing the cover manufacturers give you extensions to drop the deck rail system?

Big question is, has anybody been able to install without cutting up their factory drop in bed liner?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Garage
You shouldn't have to worry about cutting or messing with your bed liner. Most tonno company makes them for use with or without the deck rail.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
my undercover flex installed without having to move the deck rail system. i can't use the tie down cleats that came with the system, though. they are too big.

2014 platinum magnetic grey metallic crewmax 4x4
MGMC #192
undercover flex, OEM all weather floormats front and rear, OEM hitch cover,
falken rocky mountain ats 275/60/20, mb v-drive 20x9 +25 offset, n-fab side steps, color-matched door handles and mirror caps, LED overhead interior lights,
cravenspeed stubby antenna

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would recommended the Undercover Flex. Much cheaper than the Bak and has more features.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I have the Bak Roll-X tonneau cover and so far, I'm very happy with it. No problems yet, however I didn't like the way it fit with my factory drop in bedliner. So, I took the bedliner out and sold it. I feel this was a good move as the liner had already rubbed the paint down to bare metal in some places and would have created a rust problem. My Roll-X came with the deck rail drop down brackets, so I can still use it. I have the factory cargo gate as well, which works nicely with the deck rail system.

Good luck with your decision!

2013 Toyota Tundra DC Limited 4x4: 5.7L V8, TRD Off Road Package, Silver Sky Metallic, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, TracRac G2 Sliding Rack System, Factory Deck Rail System, Factory Cargo Divider, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Grand Aero Towing Mirrors.
Gone But Not Forgotten:
2009 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L V8
2005 Toyota Tundra AC SR5 4x4 4.7L V8
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I have a backflip G2 that I purchased when I bought my 2012 Tundra. My truck has the drop in liner along with the bed rail system installed. The cover came with the lowering brackets for the rail system (i made sure I specified I had bed rails when ordering).

I installed the cover myself and while putting the rails on, I noticed that the top of the bed liner wraps around the top of the bed at the cab. This will prevent you or should I say it prevented me from being able to push the rails all the way forward as they needed to be. The back end of the rails then protruded about 1/4 inch into the area the tailgate needed to be closed.

I ended up having to mark the area where the front of the rails would bump up against the liner then get my dremmel and cut that part out so the rails would be flush against the bed.

I don't know how the 2015 bed liners are so yours is probably different from mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2012 Crewmax SR5. Backlfip G2 bed cover and Autotain headrest DVD players. LED bed lights, cargo lights, interior lights and step bar lights.

Proud to be an official member of "The roll your Rear window down because the Truck behind you can't do it" club.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help, guys.

I ended up going with a soft, roll up top for a couple of reasons. I ordered the Access Lorado model from AutoAnything. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll trim the bed liner if I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in