Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Lack of inventory

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  trmckin 
#1 ·
I've been to 3 dealerships in the greater Denver area this week. Realizing there is a stop sale, it's been difficult locating a 2014 CM limited trd to take for a spin. Money is burning a hole in my pocket and this 2007 expedition isn't getting any younger (or prettier) ;)

Any word on when the stop sale is going to be over (if it isn't already)? The sales people at the dealership were less than knowledgeable about their products and kept steering me to the 1794 (very nice truck but not what I'm shopping for). I suppose I can order what I want but i've always liked negotiating with something on the lot and I really like driving the specific model prior to laying down some loot.

This post has been deleted
#2 ·
yeah, tend to agree with you on those points. especially on the wiggle room and the salesmen complete lack of interest in helping. I'm probably better off waiting a few months for the new titan and ford offerings to hit the market to ease up the demand on the tundra. Just really wanted a new camping rig by spring... boo

To add insult to injury, the one i went to yesterday had a pretty nice white SR5 CM with a 6 in procomp lift, 35's, and pro comp wheels (not sure which ones) being sold for $51k in the showroom. I had to shake my head when i saw the upcharge. Toyota has always been proud of their trucks but this current market is a little tough for me fold in. It's the principle of the matter.

Thanks for the reply and confirming my suspicions..

#3 · (Edited)
I walked into the dealership and got a Platinum 4x4 ordered with bsm for 45k. They will deal with you if you want. Now...almost 20 days later and not even a hint at a delivery date...May be heading to the fiat lot...:eek::D

I had narrowed my search to the tundra or the cummins megacab...

You are right though...no dealerships had the same truck that I was interested in - even if it was a different color. Lots of SR5's with TRD packages and I have no interest in TRD's.

#4 ·
I can hold my temptation to avoid going back to fiat. While the initial quality is great on their latest trucks, I work with guys in the crude fields that have them for work trucks. They are fine in terms of cranking up everyday but they don't hold together very well once we get to the 75k mile mark. Lots of little issues like body panel fitment, electrical, squeaks/rattles, etc... All the plastic is discolored etc.. Again, great on the lot but not sure they are made for the long haul.

This is where I think patience pays off. The tundra might not be there in terms of options and fancy gadgets but if it's anything like the other toyotas I've owned, it just works. My wife and I have had several over the years, 98 tacoma, 99 4runner, 05 tacoma, 07 4runner and while not perfect, they have been light years more reliable than the company trucks we run (ram) and this expedition I've been lugging small kids around in since 08. Patience is a virtue... With that said, I am interested in the new Titan and mildly interested in the new f-150 but i think like Ram, too many gadgets to break. In the meantime... i guess i get to lurk, dream, and hope my wife doesn't decide to remodel the kitchen.

#6 ·
Same for me here in Ohio. Have a deposit on a Limited but no word on when it will be ready. Dealership parts department says the parts just show up, they can't track but they're only getting parts for cars so far. Another dealership emailed to say the stop-sale was over but truck won't be fixed for two weeks. Does that mean I can buy the truck and make payments while it's still sitting on the lot waiting to be fixed? I know it's getting tough for dealers but come on. I guess we'll just have to be patient.

#7 ·
I'm not under any sort of deposit or contract so I have that going for me at least. Long for the days of customer service where you actually meant something as a paying customer. If I were you, I'd try to work an exhaust/sway bar or something out the deal if your wait becomes excessive.

You have the power as the buyer so get what you want. As for making early payments.. No. You won't make a payment until your purchase is complete. In fact... I'd go back to the dealer and get my $ back to see what they would do (if anything)..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.