Urgent help!! 4lo blinking but no other lights and truck wont move - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Urgent help!! 4lo blinking but no other lights and truck wont move

Not sure if this is the AIP or what but my truck is stuck at the gas station after fillip it starts right up but my 4lo is blinking and making a beeping noise. However no other lights are on itsounds fine then I put it in drive and it won't move like I'm in neutral or have the ebrake on then I put it back in park and it makes a winding noise. The truck is stuck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Johnny R

'08 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC

Pro Comp Stage 1, 20" Chrome MotoMetal 956's, 35/12.5/20 Toyo M/T's, K&N Intake, N-Fab SS Steps, RBP RX2 Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Damn only thing I can say check the actuator for the front diff. But if u have in in 2wd it should run... good luck

2012 CrewMax Rock Warrior with entune.-MGMC #83
Bushwacker flares. 15% Tint. Fosgate speakers and tweeters. 2 12 inch fosgate subs custom box. Afe intake stage2. Husky interior floor mats. Nerf bars textured. BDS 7 inch with icon coils w/resi 2.5 rears w/resi. Icon billet uca's. 20x9 black fuel trophy wheels on nitto 37 trails. Bammuffler exhaust. P3 brake controller. Trd sway bar. Bully dog tuner. 4.88 nitro gears & Auburn Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to baseballplayer422 For This Useful Post:
JohnnyRo (10-23-2013)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM
"The Midnight Modder"
Premium Member

Thanked 24,712 Times in 9,117 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Did you have in 4lo prior? Had this happen one time when I was pulling stump out. I had tried to pull it out in 4hi. Wheels spun. Put in 4lo and pulled it out. Tried to take it out of 4lo and put in drive to disengage 4wd. Put in drive and engine whined like it was in neutral. Sadly wife got in and pur it back in 2hi. Asking her now and she don't remember. I think she put it in neutral and allowed it to roll back disengaging tge 4lo. Had the flashing light and sound just like you. Sounds like 4wd stuck. Try put in neutral, set sqitch to 2lo and rock back and fortg the disengage 4wd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Tri-lander: Guam, Oahu & Okinawa
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
JohnnyRo (10-23-2013)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,065 Times in 2,870 Posts
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Quoted: 5865 Post(s)
I read in here somewhere about a guy stuck in a parking lot with same prob and light blink. Can't find it now.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
The Following User Says Thank You to ACDan For This Useful Post:
JohnnyRo (10-23-2013)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 PM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Start the truck, place the transmission in neutral, shift into 4WD high range wait for the shift to complete, then shift to 4wd Low Range, let the shift complete, then shift back to high range let the shift complete, then go back to 2WD let the shift complete, that should get you out of 4wd. Sounds like you are somehow in neutral, the transfer case I believe has a neutral position its just not selectable with the switch you have to take out the shift motor and such in order to manually get it into neutral, but the above procedure should get you moving again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wildbill23c For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (10-23-2013), JohnnyRo (10-23-2013), j_fuggin_t (10-23-2013), Powertechn2 (10-23-2013)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,292 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Start the truck, place the transmission in neutral, shift into 4WD high range wait for the shift to complete, then shift to 4wd Low Range, let the shift complete, then shift back to high range let the shift complete, then go back to 2WD let the shift complete, that should get you out of 4wd. Sounds like you are somehow in neutral, the transfer case I believe has a neutral position its just not selectable with the switch you have to take out the shift motor and such in order to manually get it into neutral, but the above procedure should get you moving again.
This.. I've done it before. Electronic 4wd sucks at times.

Silly Ram's 5.7L's are for Tundra's

Corsa sport catback / FFV TRD supercharged / Bilstein 5100's / airlift loadlifter 5k / Mini D2s Retrofit / TRD rear sway bar / XSP LED DRL's
Rockwarrior club member #45
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j_fuggin_t For This Useful Post:
JohnnyRo (10-23-2013), Powertechn2 (10-23-2013)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
or physically roll the truck after you change the WD mode maybe, it will free something up

Limited CM 12" Bulletproof Lift, 3" BL (15" of lift total) 22" XD Monster Chrome Wheels custom made to spec 22x12 -54, 37X13 Trail Grapplers. Pioneer App Radio 3, JL 500/1 300/4 JL8W3 subs. Supercharged with New build motor and trans. Bully dog Tuned.
The Following User Says Thank You to luxury4play For This Useful Post:
JohnnyRo (10-23-2013)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 PM

I always cycle from neutral to reverse then reverse to neutral then to drive. And it will usually click through

Corsa sport catback / FFV TRD supercharged / Bilstein 5100's / airlift loadlifter 5k / Mini D2s Retrofit / TRD rear sway bar / XSP LED DRL's
The Following User Says Thank You to j_fuggin_t For This Useful Post:
JohnnyRo (10-23-2013)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks bros the neutral trick worked. I pretty much did a rendition of what wild bill said to do. I put it in 4hi then neutral then drive and it freed right up. Somehow it thought I was in 4lo but I haven't put my truck in 4 wheel drive in 2 months. I usually try to run it once a month in 4 wheel drive just to keep the system fresh.

So could this happen again, I'm assuming its just gears locking up or the electronic sensor engaging something it shouldn't. Any maintenance for this or proper procedure.

Also, what is the correct protocol when taking your tundra and putting it in 4hi or 4lo?

Johnny R

'08 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC

Pro Comp Stage 1, 20" Chrome MotoMetal 956's, 35/12.5/20 Toyo M/T's, K&N Intake, N-Fab SS Steps, RBP RX2 Grille
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyRo For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (10-24-2013), MaylonTRD (10-24-2013)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Thanked 10,716 Times in 5,789 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Depending on miles the actuator could be acting up and have gone all wonkie for some reason.

my gm did this, but it did it while doing 80 with the cruise on, started slowing, engine revved to redline, grinding in feet... That was first at like 18k miles...

The tunder never has had this issue.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRo View Post
Thanks bros the neutral trick worked. I pretty much did a rendition of what wild bill said to do. I put it in 4hi then neutral then drive and it freed right up. Somehow it thought I was in 4lo but I haven't put my truck in 4 wheel drive in 2 months. I usually try to run it once a month in 4 wheel drive just to keep the system fresh.

So could this happen again, I'm assuming its just gears locking up or the electronic sensor engaging something it shouldn't. Any maintenance for this or proper procedure.

Also, what is the correct protocol when taking your tundra and putting it in 4hi or 4lo?
4hi you can put it in as long as your speed isn't too high.. 4lo neutral flip the switch, then put in drive.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 7,065 Times in 2,870 Posts
Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Quoted: 5865 Post(s)
Was anyone/kids in truck flipping switches while you were getting gas? Just curious

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 AM
"The Midnight Modder"
Premium Member

Thanked 24,712 Times in 9,117 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Whew, I saw you panick and start posting in the AIP failure threads

The Tri-lander: Guam, Oahu & Okinawa
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
MaylonTRD (10-24-2013)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRo View Post

It can happen occasionally with the stupid electronic stuff that lazy people seem to need. When its electronically controlled anything can happen that shouldn't happen LOL.

Did you or someone else flip the knob or something when refueling? Or are these transfer cases turning into a Chevy transfer case issue where they would randomly just shift into 4WD while on the highway.

Anyhow, for going into 4WD high range you can do this while the truck is moving at speeds up to 62mph (Don't ask me why that's what the book says) however I don't advise doing so if you want your truck in working order, just the thought of sudden engagement of non-moving parts just makes me cringe.

Shift from 2WD - 4WD High range either stopped or at speeds up to 62mph.
Shift from 2WD - 4WD Low Range, stop vehicle completely shift to neutral, shift to 4WD high range and let the shift complete you may have to drive forward or backward slightly to get it to engage its just the way the gears mesh. Once high range is engaged then you can shift into 4LO Range, however you need to be completely stopped and in neutral otherwise the truck will just beep at you.
To shift back out of 4WD Low Range, do the reverse of above, just stop, shift to neutral, go back to 4WD High Range let it complete the shift sequence then shift back to 2WD.

DO NOT try to shift to 4WD Low Range while the vehicle is moving gear clashing and damage to the transfer case and shift motor can occur not to mention the clunking noise and grinding of gears LOL.

The book says something about driving 10 miles in 4WD every month to lubricate the 4WD system, or something along those lines. I've had my truck for 5+ years now and I think I've used the 4WD maybe a dozen times. It really isn't that big of a deal I don't guess, it seems to work just fine every time I flip the knob.

Hope that helps.

Yep, I'd rather get out and manually lock in the hubs and then pull a lever on the floor. Never understood what was so hard about that idea, and hardly ever failed. Only problem I seen with that was when people would bury their trucks to the doors then realize they never locked the hubs in LOL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildbill23c For This Useful Post:
MaylonTRD (10-24-2013), Rockporter (10-24-2013)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,199 Posts
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I wish there was a place close I could drive 10 miles in 4WD that was not dry pavement. I do drive it a mile or two on a gravel road on occasion just to keep things working. After a few times of doing this, the truck shifts in and out of 4WD much easier and does not clunk when disengaging like it did the first few times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockporter For This Useful Post:
MaylonTRD (10-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in