Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Backup Lights....

8K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  wgreenlee1021 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 2007 DC and just recently tinted all the windows and blacked out my tail lights... Now comes the problem... When backing up it's almost impossible to see behind me. I like the black out look so I was thinking of possibly mounting some small fog lights under the bumper to help out.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

#4 ·
I put one of the led tailgate lights on, the long one located under the tailgate. It has whites led's that light up the entire length when put into reverse. Probably cheaper than the receiver spot lights.

#5 ·
Now you know how other people feel when they can't see your brake lights when you're stopping.

#23 ·
#7 ·
RI law regarding tail lights.. I personally like the look, but for safety reasons, I leave mine stock..

§ 31-24-7 Tail lamps required. – Every motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this chapter, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

§ 31-24-14 Specifications for stop or signal lamps. – A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet (100') to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and a signal lamp or lamps indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet (100') both to the front and rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No stop lamp or signal lamp shall project a glaring or dazzling light. Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Backup camera it open the back window? I'm in the same boat ... Will be looking into some leds and hopefully be able to figure out the wiring for a on/off/on switch

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
Just looked up those ridgid leds, those are some bright mofo's. $200 a pair is a bit (ok a lot) to much for my blood though. Got the specs, time to hit up the component shops and see what I can fab up from scratch, and how much $$$ I can save. Plus the mounting wouldn't have worked for my steel bumber anyway. Time to get creative.

#15 ·
Hmmm, might be interested. I suppose I could cut the bumper, but I'm no metal fab guy, so I'd be nervous about screwing it up. Then I'd have to powder coat or spray the bumper to prevent the rust. Slicing into my skid plate where no one can see the over cut is one thing, I'd hate to mess up my bumper.

I'm a-thinkin about it.

#16 ·
Use a dremel and practice on a scrap piece of metal first

#19 · (Edited)
Gotcha! I was contemplating on tapping it just how you have it set up. Just not sure if I'd want a switch option in case I ever needed it when not in reverse.

More so like a rear fog option. I think Rigid has colored caps and was thinking of putting the red caps on when fog rolls in.

Edit: One other qestion. Which option did you go with, Spot/Driving/Flood/Wide/Diffused?

#24 ·
Mine are tapped into my revers lights on trailer as well. As for cutting them out... Tape off area, drill pot hole, jigsaw with metal blade, giver! Before you cut is recommend making sure the brace for the bumper, or any wires will not be in the way.

#26 ·
Sub'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.