Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Installed New Front Brakes - now they squeal when wet?

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
A month or so ago I installed new front brakes on my Tundra. Link to install is here. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/maintenance-repair/101167-front-brake-job-w-new-rotors-5.html

I was sure to clean everything before installation, and I used brake caliper/pad lube. New pads, rotors, and pins! Now if the truck sits outside in the rain the brakes squeal like crazy for about 100 yards???

Now I know what you're thinking, the calipers might be rusting and the noise is the rust burning off. But I can go to the car wash, wash the truck and the truck is wet 10 minutes and the brakes squeal on the way out...

Any ideas? I used high quality pads and rotors as recommended by SoCal. The squealing not only embarrassing, its annoying! HELP! :D

#3 ·
Did you bed the pads after installing them?

If not do like 5 moderate pressure stops from 40-5. DO NOT come to a complete stop. DO NOT let the rotors cool in between. After the fifth then do 5 25-5 moderate stops. Again DO NOT stop completely but this time let the rotors cool in between.

You will develop a light rust scale sitting overnight or during/after a good rain. Especially if you are in a humid area. Depending on pad and rotor make up it can be better or worse. Bedding might help fight that a little too.

#5 ·
Centric Premium Rotors with ecoating and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads.

I bedded them properly, just as stated above when brand new. 5-6 moderately hard stops from 55-60mph without letting the brakes cool. Then several more stops at slower speeds.

They're not sitting long enough to develop rust when I'm at the car wash for 10 minutes. Thats why I was including that part in my story...

#12 ·
You hit it right there. CERAMIC pads cause that squeeling until the surface rust is off. I used Wagner ceramic and it does it just when I back up in the morning. I should have used OEM which gives more brake dust but doesn't squeal. The ceramic doesn't give up hardly any brake dust but you get the squeeling.

#9 ·
Bedding or no bedding a few hard brakes won't hurt brake pads.

But for some reason rain while I'm at work, or 10 minutes in the car wash and these sons of bitches squeal for 100 feet!

#11 ·
They only squeal when I'm actually braking. Its not always a 100 yards, but lets say I'm at work and it rained that morning and I drive off for lunch. When I pull out of a parking spot and am leaving the lot I'm doing a little braking as I navigate the parking lot. They will squeal when I brake till I'm just about out of the lot and then the squealing will stop.

Let me ask a dumb question, the pads don't have an inside and outside pad do they? I mean surely the pads aren't installed backwards (backwards meaning opposite sides?)??

#17 ·
ceramic pads will do this, was an update on the fj's even as it would primarily do it in reverse, dealers were boggled till someone shed some light on it. Also my gfs liberty would do the same thing after I installed ceramic pads till they worn in enough. Now it squeaks because the wear tab is barely touching after 65k miles on the pads.

Reactions: theoat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.