Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

decisions, decisions...Tundra or F150

15K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  BLACK-OUT 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I know, I know, not another one of these. Apologies for such a "forward" initial post. I had a Tacoma, it was great but we started a family and we needed something bigger. I moved on to a Titan which was also great but it was totaled. I've been in the market for a new full size truck for a couple months. When I bought my Titan, the new Tundra wasn't out yet and the pricing on the Titan was really attractive. After I bought my truck I haven't really paid attention to the market and would peruse through car/truck magazines in various waiting rooms. I'd always thought the Tundra was tops. So my search was just for which features and options and finding the best price.

Well, I was surprised to read in Edmunds and other industry rags that the the full size pick up market, the domestics are all rated ahead of the Tundra.

In searching for a Tundra, the best price I've been quoted for CM 4x4, tow, SR5 is about $36-37K.

While a F150 XLT 5L v8 4x4 that is similarly equipped (some cases a few more features) is $29-30K before any negotiations..etc.

I plan to use the truck as a daily driver with trips to the mountains in the winter. We have a 5,600lbs travel trailer that we use no more than 4 times/year.

I'm sure there are a few of the members here that were in my shoes and decided to get one over the other. As of now, the numbers, features, and interior layout have the Ford ahead. The v8 doesn't have the problems of their 3.5L eco boost.

Maybe I'll get some insight that I haven't thought of.

Thanks,
Nate

See less See more
#3 ·
You will be much happier with a Tundra. I drive an F150, and sometimes an F250 for work and have my Tundy, 5.7 with tow package 4x4 SR5 TRD DC, in my garage. The F150 is the XL model. The Tundra ride is superior in comfort and handling and power against both the 150 and 250. The Ford rides terribly. I am always uncomfortable and bouncing around offroad, not so with the Tundra. The Fords are dogs when pulling a trailer. We pull ATV's 2 wide or a couple sleds. I don't know about the EcoBoost, but I can speak from my own experience that the Fords I've driven developed problems inside, out , and leaked oil after roughly 86k and 105k. Granted my Tundra is only a couple years old and has 22k on it, it is the best truck I've had and I've driven lots of Fords for the work I do. I hate getting in the Fords as I'm not nearly as comfortable in them as I am in my Tundra.

#4 ·
Let see, even so many years after they were introduced, Tundra's brakes are still larger, tranny bigger, engine more powerful and the whole truck more reliable. Get a Ford and support the livelihood of mechanics everywhere. They gotta make a living too.

Reactions: hypa
#6 · (Edited)
It all depends on the package of the Tundra or f150 as far as ride is concerned. Drive a limited, sr5, then either the sr5 or limited with the TRD package and you'll see differences. The same goes for the f150, fx4 pkg F150 rides completely different than a platinum or regular 4x4 due to shock changes.

The Ecoboost has had issues, but it was redesigned for 2013 and the issues are resolved. I myself just ordered a 2013 fx4 ecoboost.

The f150 electric steering is alot nicer and smoother than the Tundra, the ride is fairly close but the f150 still gets the nod as far as being smoother. Tundra feels more responsive and has a tighter turning radius.

My only complaint with my Tundra is the gas mileage, I didn't buy the truck for high mileage but the 5.7l is not a sipper by any means. Pulling my 4500lb tracker bass boat I get 11mpg at best in the Tundra. My previous f150 ecoboost I had got 13-14mpg pulling the same boat, but that was before the motor started having issues.

The f150 has the option to be built EXACTLY like you want it if you order it, it also has the option of a 36 gallon fuel tank which is nice compared to the 26 gallon tank on the Tundra. To put the gas tank into perspective, the Tundra I have to fill it up while out by the lake as it takes roughly half a tank to get there. The f150 I was able to make the entire trip on one tank and still had around 1/4 tank leftover.

I love my Tundra and they are very reliable, but my family has also owned Ford's for generations so I've seen reliability from the Ford camp as well. In the end it's your money pick what you like and go for it.

#18 ·
The f150 has the option to be built EXACTLY like you want it if you order it,

Not true, at least when I was facing the same F150 vs Tundra decision. For example, to get tow mirrors on the F150, I had to get the EccoBoost engine and the max trailer tow package plus one other package which I can't remember).
My last two trucks were F150s. I got tired of replacing lots of stuff (mostly electronics between 90 and 100K. My last F150 was in for warranty work seven times. My Tundra has yet to see a dealer after 15 months. I get over 19 mpg in my regular driving which, granted, is mostly highway but I'm happy with that. I was a little afraid of the F150 forum posts about guys having to install an oil catch canister in the 5.0's.
I also drove a F150 and a Tundra within an hour of each other. No comparison, the Tundra was a far superior ride!

#8 ·
Just made they same choice. I get z-plan employee price for Ford and GM too. Went with Tundra CM Rock Warrior and could not be happier. Owned three F-150s prior to this. Size of the back seat will make it easier on the family.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
I was also on the fence between the same two trucks. I bounced back and fourth between this forum and the F150 forum. Obviously, each respective forum loved THEIR truck better.

But one forum post made a great suggestion... go between the two forums and see how many complaints you find about that forum's truck. While no vehicle is perfect, and you can certainly find some Tundra issues reported here, but go over to the F150 forum and complaints are 10 fold vs. the Tundra. Engine, transmission, you name it.

As a previous owner of a Ford Expedition and Explorer, all the problem posts on the Ford forum hit home. It seems I could never go more than 6 months without dragging those vehicles in the shop for one repair or another. The Explorer had the radiator replaced 3 times (didn't think radiators were a new experimental technology, but what do I know.) The Expedition had spark plugs blow out... which I've read is inevitable on certain models.

Bottom line is... I don't trust Ford anymore. While their truck might have more features and look better on paper, the real question is, "how long can you keep it on the road?"

I'm a proud owner of a new 2013 Tundra CM Limited and couldn't be happier. Only time will tell if it will be more reliable than my other Fords, but from everything I've read here, I think the answer will be a resounding yes.

Best of luck,
Bill

#13 ·
Bottom line is... I don't trust Ford anymore. While their truck might have more features and look better on paper, the real question is, "how long can you keep it on the road?"
Agreed 100%.
Ford is a great lease vehicle, as long as you give it back after the best years are behind it. Same goes for Dodge. The new Ram sure is good looking, but in three years it's going to need $2500 worth of front end work.

That said, my Tundra needed brakes after 45,000 miles. Sure, I'm not easy on the truck, but that's just horrible.

#21 ·
What do you expect people on a Tundra forum to say, get the F-150....
Yeah just to keep this discussion fair and balanced I have no problem saying it :D

#15 ·
Which would you buy used?

I was ok buying mine used. Maybe I'm drinking the Toyota koolaid, but worried a lot less buying mine used. And saving a few bucks in the process.

#16 ·
I posted this once in response to the same question so I'll post it again since I see it as useful.

I was rear ended in my Tundra a little over a year ago. When I went to get a rental I told them I drive a full size truck so I want a full sized truck as a rental. They gave me a similarly equipped F-150. 5.0L crew cab 4x4.

Upon leaving the place with the truck I needed to do a u-turn to get back on the road. I literally almost wrecked doing the u-turn because the turning radius SUCKS!!!

So, on to everything else. The interior is fine I guess, definitely like the Tundra's interior better with the full between the seats console, cup holders etc. I will give the Ford credit on the ride, probably rode a little smoother.

No to what matters.... POWER. I bought my truck for one purpose alone - towing my bass boat to tournaments all across the south eastern US. The Ford's (I know the new Ecopoop is supposed to be better) 5.0L just sucked, does not even compare to the power and LOW END TORQUE of the 5.7L. And yes I also know that the Ecopoops are rated to have more torque than the Tundra as well.

Beyond that the Tundra has MUCH bigger brakes. Sure lots of trucks can tow 6k lbs but how many can stop it...... EFFECTIVELY?

Gas mileage, I could care less I bought it for towing, nothing is gonna get great mileage with 6k lbs behind it.

Durability... 63k on mine 1/3 of it towing still going strong. Nuff said.

#17 ·
The biggest plus Ford has is you can customize the truck. Cab, engine, 4x4 or 4x2, interior features, and of course the rearend. I test drove a 5.0l with a 3.55 rear end and man that thing was wayyy slower than my Tundra, but alot of that is the rear end being the Tundra has a 4.3. The ecoboost with a 3.73 rear end is very similar to the Tundra with 4.3 rear as far as kick in the buttometer is concerned.

You will be hard pressed to find a max tow pkg with 3.73 rear end f150 and will likely have to order it. But ya never know.

#20 ·
There was a lawsuit filed by F-150 owners over the Eco-boost engine. It was in the news today. Manufacturers are trying to get their fleets mpg average up and one way, small engines. And people are trying to pull ridiculous loads with those small engines. It has happened before. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

#22 ·
I looked at the F150 when i was shopping , I bought my tundra in march of this year , so recent shopping. I have to say the interior of the f150 was very nice , maybe too nice . I tend to like simpler designs and it seemed like too much there to have issues with, sounds weird maybe. I am still not sold on ford quality in comparison to toyota or honda . My big issue with the ford was the v8 motors just lacked the tundra power and feel of being a solid built engine and I did not want to deal with any turbo replacement down the road . I have dealt with turbo issues before and will not ever again especially in a truck that depends on the turbo. Might buy a powerstroke f250 but only for hauling a big piece of fiberglass. Go YODA

#23 ·
I can say I drive a 2008 tundra with a bunch of custom stuff done. I bought it used with 47k have about 68k now and no problems and I can tell you I go trail riding in the national forest and through sand everything from mud. And I've yet to hurt anything on the truck besides a rear shock that was my fault. This truck has been amazingly reliable. My best friend just recently bought a 2013 f150 FX4 Ecoboost. Don't get me wrong he had the 36 gallon tank that's amazing. The 20 on highway he gets is great. And actually from experience of sitting in the new back seats there is lots of room. Not as much but pretty dang close now. My tundra is only a SR5 4x4 with tow. But the power still doesn't compete. There label says they tow as much that's probably true but the power of our 5.7 is unmatched out there. And we can't we have a tuner lol. Imagine if all these guys could tune there mods. The new interior of the fords has greatly improved. I was looking at the 2014 tundra and looks like they took some ideas from the new fords. Driving my tundra and driving his was very different. His did ride smoother but then again I'm lifted some. His felt solid but I felt like I had better control def could still turn better. Prices for both maxed out packages almost the same. So if anything helped there good if not. I had fun typing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#24 ·
Following this thread and really like the comparisons. My biggest concern right now is finding the right truck for my needs. Price, comfort, and reliability are my main keys right now with a newborn here. MPG is factored but in a 4x4 I don't see the difference of more than 2 mpg reported between the Tundra, 5.0, or the ecoboost. Please keep the comments going.

#25 ·
Can't get a CM 2013 new SR4 4wd for 33K, more like pushing 35K you are right. My 2012 DC SR4 4wd out the door dealer invoice after rebates was 32K so add about 3K at most to get a CM SR5 4wd 2013 model year new.

Some may disagree, but I have had the off road package with bilstein shocks on one of my prior 2007 tundra DC and NEVER will do it again. The ride is way choppier with TRD offroad package. ONLY nice thing is nicer rims but not anything worth the extra money over 1 grand to get the TRD off road package - I prefer smoother ride.

That said, the Ford still rides smoother than the Tundra but Tundra is definitely acceptable. Power of 5.7L trumps the 5.0L Ford and yes, I would get the 5.0L over the V6 ecoboost in the Ford as well. That said, what I pull the 5.0L would be fine in the Ford pulling under 4,000 lbs. just fine. Gas mileage about the same only 1-2 less mpg at best in the Tundra so no big deal to me. Probably the same mpg when towing though since 5.7L tundra doesn't work as hard.

Interior is subjective don't mind either one, but I like the exterior looks of the tundra over the ford hands down. What you pay more for in the tundra upfront you will make up that amount come trade in/resale time years later so don't look at price, get what you want and drive both 30-40 miles each to compare.

My money is on power and reliability and better braking and better turning radius in the tundra over the cheaper Ford, but that is me, not you.

#28 ·
I agree with most of the posts above except one. My wife has 2006 4 door F150 w/4.6. And I get better gas mileage than her with the 5.7, 3/1 lift, 4x4, hers is 2wd. All maintenance is done at the Ford dealership. Now it was better before the fuel pump went out, right after the warranty went out. Imagine that? Lot more room in the Tundra.

#29 · (Edited)
Just to keep things clear on the ecoboost topic. For 2013 Ford did some updates and fixes to resolve those issues. As with any lawsuit these people are just out for some money they didn't earn.

Changes to eco engine are as follows:

-pass side exhaust cam driven vacuum pump for brake booster (like a diesel)
-camshaft position sensors moved from behind the motor to above valve covers
-pcv nipples moved to better locations on the valve covers
-new intercooler
-electronic bov (if youre leaving the truck stock this is a slight improvement)
-slight update to turbos

I've driven both trucks and owned both trucks. They each have their pros and cons, but in the end I think it would really come down to what you like and what deal you can get. I love it when people say the power is not the same as the Tundra 5.7l. Both trucks have essentially the same amount of hp and torque, however if your running a 3.31, 3.55 rear end vs the 4.3 rear end in the 5.7l your going to feel that power due to the gearing. So when you do compare the two trucks, do apples to apples comparisons.

#30 ·
both nice trucks.. i shopped these two exact trucks

Ford: 4x4 fx4 full 4dr short bed, rear slider, moonroof, back up cam, ecoboost w/ 3.73's. Price: $44k after x plan & rebates
Pros: smooth ride, quiet cab, little bit better mileage
Cons: Non-dimable lcd dead in the middle of the gauges, price, 1/4 window for the back, small back seat, lack of reliability

toyota: 4x4 crewmax rock warrior, tow package, back up cam, moonroof
Price: $36k
pros: reliability, simple gauge cluster, full rear sliding window, 2yr 25k toyota care, price
cons: mpg, forced flex fuel, lack of tuners/chips, lack of s/c option for flex fuel

both are good trucks.. buy one and enjoy

#31 ·
ill throw in my .02cents cause i was in a similar situation i had an 06 f-250 lariat with the 6.0 that got totaled and i had to go shopping for a new truck

i loved my f-250 when it was running, luckaly im a diesle tech so the fact that it broke down alot wasnt as bad for me as others. when it was running it was comforable more so than the toyota, it rode rougher but felt more stable and in control, it was more powerful than the toyota and i got 24 mpg on the hwy and 19 when towing, but it was a diesle, and not compareable to the tundra. if it hadnt been totaled id still be loving it but since it was and i had to shop around my choices were limited (did i mention i used to be an auto mechanic also) because i wasnt going to get another ford product because of reliability issues, i wasnt going to get another dodge product because of tranny and front end issues, so i was down to chevy, gmc and toyota, i didnt include nissan because of parts availabilty issues. the chevys and gmcs are nice and im a chevy guy so thats the direction i was leaning but then i drove a few tundras and fell in love.

#32 ·
ill throw in my .02cents cause i was in a similar situation i had an 06 f-250 lariat with the 6.0 that got totaled and i had to go shopping for a new truck

...because i wasnt going to get another ford product because of reliability issues,
When were you in this situation? Your sig line shows an 07' Tundra. Did you look at the Fords from the last two years?

#34 ·
about a month ago, i just bought the tundra. i never buy new. and no i didnt look at those because my mothers boyfriend has one and i dont care for it. i also deal with them at work because all our older service trucks are fordsand thoses gave us so many problems that we switched to peterbuilt, dodges and kw

#36 ·
Depends if you have the tow package I think. If your going with the 5.0 motor in the f150 the 3.55 will work for what your doing it just won't have the kick in the seat a 3.73 rear would. You need to drive all the rear ends to see what I'm talking about. Goto a toyota dealership and drive one with and without tow package, and then drive an f150 with the 3.55 and 3.73.... of course you'll have to drive 6 different trucks if your testing the ecoboost and also if you are considering the smaller v8 toyota has to offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.