Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

This is the dealer's offer...

3K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  opossum 
#1 ·
Howdy,

This is the dealer's offer on a 2013 Tundra 4x4 5.7L Limited:

Invoice - Holdback & Financial Reserve

Plus tax, Document Fee & Extended Warranty.

I'm curious if this is a decent offer.

Thanks

#4 ·
So you would be buying at invoice price, dealer keeps the incentives, holdback and financial reserve? In California the holdback was $956 in June of 2012. Ask what financial reserve is? It all depends on what the incentives currently are at $$?? Last time I checked the incentives were at $1000. Verify where the incentives are currently. Just take your time and negotiate on each item. Remember, your dealership is a business and resource for you and your new truck. He will not sell it to you if he does not make some sort of profit, because there is work involved and you are getting a world class truck!! No, I am not affiliated with Toyota or any dealer or even in the automotive industry! You certainly don't want your picture hanging in the showroom as "Customer of the month" either...Good luck

#5 ·
Howdy,

Thank you all. I left the details out on purpose, because I was curious if that offer no matter what the vehicle was a decent one, but I should have at least mentioned it was a 2013.

Here are the specifics:

2013 Tundra 4x4 5.7L Limited
Moonroof
Swaybar
Supercharger

I also specified color & interior-- none of the dealers were able to find this vehicle & all said they would have to order. I'm pretty sure I'll lax up on the interior color, Red Rock, but the exterior color I'm stuck on. I may also back off on being firm on no other options...I really don't want to pay for a head unit I'm going to yank out.

I specifically informed the dealers (plural) to not include any incentives in the offer for two reasons. I'm not sure if I will take advantage of the cash back or TFS & we don't know for sure what will actually be offered at the time of the buy-- currently, the 0% ends on 2/4, but then TFS does their incentives month to month.

The current offer minus sales tax & document fee is $53,020.

I'm really looking forward to more feedback & am excited to be moving forward towards this new vehicle & saying good-bye to my T-100 which is not going to be part of the deal.

#7 · (Edited)
Howdy,

@Bad Dad's Tundra-- I was involved in that discussion or at least read the thread. I put the S/C out there in the original asking to the dealer's I'm working with to allow them to work out what they want to do with the numbers. Yes, TFS, won't finance the S/C, but I'm more interested in the total bottom line price. I think it is a great idea & in fact if I remember correctly they purchased their S/C through a Toyota dealer who sells through e-bay. I'm working with multiple dealers at once & have informed them all I'm looking for who will give me the best price.

@HuntTruck-- I know the 2014's are going to be revealed this weekend, but my T-100 is dead...dead-dead & while we have been surviving on 1 vehicle for the past 2 months I don't believe doing so for the next 7 to 8 months is going to be fun.

Something I forgot to mention is I also asked for the 8 year/100k extended warranty. Again, something I know might be purchased cheaper after the sale, much like the S/C before the sale, but I'm of the mind of a total package.

Yes, my '93 T-100 was running good until this fall & I could have dropped a used motor in for $4,200, but it was time to say good-bye to her.

Back to the 2014 observation-- this will be the one & only time I ever purchase a new vehicle (until I win the lottery), so I am comfortable in spending this much money on what will be my last truck-- a 2013 & one I will own for the next 50 to 60 years. Don't get me wrong...it's going to hurt to spend this, but it will be my baby for a long time.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Howdy,

I could wait as I live 5 blocks from work, however the nature of what I pack to & from work doesn't make walking to & from there very appealing, but I have done it before.

It is the other parts of life which become difficult. I will see what the 2014's look like & March sounds like a good idea (thanks for that).

#9 ·
Opossum could also get a cheap cash car or truck for now. That way he can see what the 2014s look like and will still have transportation. Of course with a mountain bike he wont have to pay for gas.

Reactions: opossum
#11 ·
If you don't want the head unit....the only other big advantage to me to the limited is leather.....and you can buy an sr5 crewmax trd 4x4 like I did for 33900 plus tax and doc....have dealer add leather for 1000, and then tell them you will buy if they do supercharger for 5k installed and have 39900 in your truck. Saving 14000 to buy warranty and alot of custom touches that will be way better for your personal enjoyment than rolling up in the same truck everyone else in your town had....just my 2cents....

#13 · (Edited)
I tend to look at the final number rather than all the different line items of a car deal. I find when I get buried in all that it just doesn't work out well for me. I honestly don't care what the paperwork says invoice and holdback or any of the other crap is. I am going to find out what dollar figure that truck is worth to me and work to make that my out the door figure. I don't really care how we get to it. It isn't my problem, it's theirs. I don't care if the dealer folds on one aspect of the deal but makes out OK on another. I don't worry about whether it is invoice-holdback+tax+dock fee or invoice-rebate+tax-holdback.

Call me crazy but it has worked OK for me. My deals usually end up at invoice or slightly above, including tax, fees, and interest. Basically I tell a dealer I want to spend x-amount of dollars including my down payment and the sum of all the payments I will make if I let the loan go its full term, then we work from there. Then I double check and I am usually right about at Edmunds True Market Value. Smart Phones are great for this. I can punch in any configuration while I am talking to a salesperson on the lot and get ball park figures. If I am pretty close to Edmunds TMV I am satisfied.

They do this every day. I do it once every 5-10 years. I don't care how smart I think I am, I will not make them let a vehicle go for any less than they really want to by trying to beat them up over every aspect of the deal one at a time. And if I fail to look at the big picture they will just juggle the semantics around to give me what I want on paper then take the money back somewhere else. My final figure is my final figure. You can try to screw around however you want, but it's pretty easy for me to tell if it changes.

#14 ·
Howdy,

@Hunt Truck & Shenegar-- I also debated over this & seriously gave the SR5 option consideration & it was a difficult decision, one I may change.

The Limited comes with:
  • Fog Lights
  • Front & Rear Sonar
  • Different front bumper & grille insert (really don't care)
  • Deck Rail System
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Climate Control (sorta don't care)
  • Leather seats blah blah blah w/lumbar & thigh support (don't care about blah blah blah, but the thigh & lumbar support would be nice)
  • Tilt/Telescopic steering wheel w/bluetooth, audio & hands free phone
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror w/backup camera
  • Extra cup holders...as if I'd allow food or drink in my baby
  • Upgraded sound (don't care)
  • Tow Package

For around 8k more than the SR5.

Damn it...I may really change my mind & go with the SR5...damn, you...damn you all! I really really hate you all :(

Don't be mad...may be looking for more advice towards the SR5...need to go find a corner & consider.

#17 ·
good advice to wait until end of March to see what rebates are or if not good enough, say not 2500 in rebates, wait until April 1/2nd and doubt they will go down since 2014's are on the way and dealers want to move them.

I dipped into dealers holdback 300-400 bucks of the near 800 bucks so they made 400 bucks profit on an easy sale. Toughest part is negotiating the best trade in price and usually that is what it boils down to between 3-4 dealers where I go to get my next tundra. I play off each dealer until I get usually what I want. If they make 500 bucks off me I think that is good enough to stay in business since 1-2 hours max for a done deal.

#18 ·
My sr5---

Came with fog lights
You can get deck rail system cheap...kinda useless in my opinion...have 4 good spots in corners
Tow package
Bluetooth
Steering wheel controls
Power driver seat with lumbar control
Tilt and telescoping wheel
Alloy wheels
Trd offroad package
And I added auto dim mirror with camera for like 250 aftermarket and when I put new nav head unit in I put second camera on plate...and the stereo came with backup sensors that I can put in my bumper...500$
And katskinz or similar soon. Under1000

So really think you should consider a sr5 if you don't care about the sound package and the leather package.

Reactions: opossum
#19 ·
Howdy,

Thank you all. I've reconsidered to the SR5 & have drafted a new letter to send to them in the morning. The Optitron system would have been nice for a nerd like me, but tricking things out later with aftermarket is smart.

I think once I started thinking about the Limited combined with this being the only one I ever buy new, I kind of set myself to making it nice from the start.

Thanks, everyone-- I'll keep you all updated.

#20 · (Edited)
It won't be the "last truck you ever buy", unless you don't live long. Your experience w/ repair cost on the T100 makes that point pretty well. Eventually, you'll want something "reliable" or "new" again, even if it's 15 or 20 years out. My advice is simple: only buy what you want, what you'll use, and what you can easily "afford". After that, it's really just preference. I personally wouldn't buy a new Limited, or the "top line" models from GM, Ford, or Dodge either, unless the price was just "too good". They're too nice for my taste, and I'd baby them too much. All of those add-ons depreciate out pretty quick too. A truck isn't a truck 'til it's got some dings, scratches, etc, and I can't be worried about pulling a trailer to the quarry for some rock or sand :) No offense to anyone!

#26 ·
More power to yah Bad Daddy.

Just stating the stock 5.7L already is plenty fast enough to power by almost all other 1/2 ton trucks on the road is all.

I use to mildly mod my trucks with aftermarket accessories but found out that unless I can take them off and transfer them to the same make/model truck (for example a bedliner or nerf bars or cow catcher or bugshield), the cost doesn't justify the means unless you are going to use it for a real purpose besides showing it off.

#30 ·
Howdy,

When I was still in grade school & didn't understand sports cars & the associated imagery (mid-life crisis) I saw my first Corvette-- an orange stingray. I really wanted one for years & I did look at their site yesterday since the price for my Tundra is really close to that of the low end Corvette.

The 2014 Stingray looks amazing!

But I'm still going to get a Tundra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.