Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Can I spray over Linex?

22K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  cjclair 
#1 ·
When I bought my truck the truck bed was already Linex'd blue, which I'm not a big fan of. Is it possible to just spray paint over the the color to change it or will it eventually just scrape off?

See less See more
#3 ·
I've had several trucks that were either Rhino'ed or Line-Ex'ed, and I've painted over both. When the black started fading, I painted it black and it came out really good. I also changed anothers color from black to a Camo pattern. I didn't spray them, I rolled all of them with a good exterior paint and each came out great with no problems.

On another note, I have a 500 gallon steel diesel tank behind my house that supplies my generator. I had it LineX'ed at the same time I did my truck to prevent it from rusting. Before I set it in place, I painted over the Line-X to color match it to the house and it came out perfect. No problems with peeling, flaking, or fading, it looks great. So you can do it without special materials, just make sure it's a good exterior paint. And I recommend rolling over spraying to get a good even coverage.

#4 ·
I've had several trucks that were either Rhino'ed or Line-Ex'ed, and I've painted over both.
Do you use the bed for hauling anything?

It seems counter intuitive that a product designed to resist things sticking to it would be a good substrate for house paint. If it works for you thats great. Just wondering how much contact you had with the paint after applying.
Heck, you may as well just apply house paint to the truck bed instead of LineX in the first place :confused:

#5 ·
I don't haul anything on a daily basis, but occasionally a fuel pump or a few drums of diesel get loaded in the bed. When I was doing light carpentry side jobs, lumber and tools would get thrown in there also. Painting the liners was never for any added protection, it was for visual appearances mostly. I can honestly say the paint held up great even after contact with petroleum products, or saws with rough edges. Simply painting the bed wouldn't offer the same protection as having the liner sprayed in, and painting the liner doesn't add anything other than changing the color. On everything I've painted, especially my storage tank, they have all been subjected to Louisiana heat, rain, hurricanes, cold, and bird sh!t, and have all held up extremely great.

#6 ·
Color matched line x is expensive and won't fade from uv light. I would leave it.

#7 ·
I would also leave it. I think it looks much better than the black. Wish mine was color matched.

#8 ·
Many people paid extra to color match it. Especially for the lighter colors it is more difficult to match. Yours looks like it turned out excellent.

I would recommend something alittle different. Instead of painting over it. Consider just placing a bed protector over it. I have a bed protector over mine just to give it added protection from the dents from large rocks. The drawback of the bed protector is usually those things scrape up the bed paint underneath it like crazy, and that is where rust would form. However since your bed is sprayed like mine, I don't worry about the rust. The bed protector comes in black, and that will give you a contrast color. One day, you will get "used to" that black bed color, and then you could remove it and return it to blue for a "new look". Plus I can say, re-sale value of color matched is higher. And bed protector will protect the look that much more. If any reason the bed protector messes up the Line-X underneath, just have them warranty it. (NO cost to you). I'm sure you could talk them into spraying it black (since it costs less).

Just an suggestion. Again, I would highly recommend NOT painting over it. It looks VERY good.

#10 ·
I like the color matched too, throw in a black rubber mat and be done :) Any liner in good shape can be sprayed over the top with a quality Polyurethane finish after cleaned and etched with acetone then sealer. The problem is when it gets scraped the new color is only a few mils thick. The protection isn't the same as with a solid color coated liner.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the opinions everyone, I think I'll just let it sit and let my time go towards future modification planning.

Sorry that it took a while to get back to this thread, usually I'll get an alert that someone has posted but I didn't for this one...no worries though

Again, thank you for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.