Never Again Will I... - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 22,113 Times in 6,042 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshaki View Post
That's all fine and dandy, but what "QUALIFIES" you to make that statement, Jim?

J/K That is quite a resume. I think I can trust a guy who owns two Supras
Do you need a hug... I'll find you one of those hot chicks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supratwins/TRD-X Jim Gone to a higher plain of existence!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

btw what happend to the new rule about signature sizes
does that rule only apply to the members..??

Way-Low Tundra Club member #2
Tundra with a Cap Club member #31
Black Tundra Club Member #71
The Following User Says Thank You to TRD-X For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-28-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,846 Times in 832 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
As everyone mentioned how did they check your level? No dipstick..... Do they know the temp the tranny has to be to put oil in it? Please ask them that. That's why the techstream. I would walk back in and state they are paying for you to have it check by a Toyota dealer. Yes I agree not using Tire Kindom because they are unprofessional. They could care less about whose vehicle they are working on. I'm sorry but back in 76-77 when I worked at dealerships you didn't leave your greasy ass hand prints all over the inside and outside of the door much less the steering wheel. That tells me they give no respect who's vehicle it is. Not to mention the dumbass broke my Toyota lock nut and I ad to chisel it off. Also bent my 4 way in the process trying to get off the lugs which were tightened beyond specs. They claimed to use a torque wrench but I stated you don't even know what one looks like.
Yep...I have the greasy prints all over my front bumper and under the hood. I know what I will be doing in the morning. I have always had superb service from this particular Tire Kingdom. As many years as I have been going there, they have had the same crew. I think they had a new dude there today. And what pisses me off more is that I had an appt at my dealership this morning for an oil change. I canceled it last night when I received the Tire Kingdom coupon. Stoopid!!! I guess that is what they cal tuition.

2015 Silver Sky Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 CrewMax-Louisiana Edition
-TRD Rear Sway Bar
-TRD Sport Front Sway Bar
-Firestick ll Antenna
-G-Tek Door Sill Protectors
-Fox 2.0 Coil-Overs and rear shocks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tightywhitey For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-28-2011), TRD-X (10-28-2011)
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightywhitey View Post
Yep...I have the greasy prints all over my front bumper and under the hood. I know what I will be doing in the morning. I have always had superb service from this particular Tire Kingdom. As many years as I have been going there, they have had the same crew. I think they had a new dude there today. And what pisses me off more is that I had an appt at my dealership this morning for an oil change. I canceled it last night when I received the Tire Kingdom coupon. Stoopid!!! I guess that is what they cal tuition.

Kinda like shopping at walmart. You get what you pay for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yuckfou For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-28-2011), tightywhitey (10-28-2011), TRD-X (10-28-2011)

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,315 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Garage
here is some trans fluid instructions and PDF

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...-part-2-a.html

Tundra Transmission Flush and Refill Instructions | Tundra Headquarters

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SP For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (10-29-2011), RickC (11-12-2011), tightywhitey (10-28-2011), TRD-X (10-28-2011)
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 25,639 Times in 10,545 Posts
Mentioned: 828 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6031 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi911 View Post
I thought our trans never needed to be flushed or at least not until at least 100k.

And yes, always work on your own cars as you can always trust yourself but not always others
Toyota claims that 100K bullshit but there aint never been a 100K lubricant that is doing it's job at 100K.

I know sometimes what I see is not what everyone else sees.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
JOSH 5.7 (10-28-2011), Mr. Creosote (10-29-2011), Powertechn2 (10-31-2011), TRD-X (10-28-2011)
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All newer toyota automatic transmissions take the new WS tranny fluid
It stands for World Standard.

as far as i know, its only available at the deeler, and its kind of pricy. even our parts suppliers dont carry it yet.

if the tech couldnt tell the transmission from the oil pan, he really shouldnt be working on cars, the tranny is almost 2 feet back from the oil pan!!

i would call them and ask them what fluid they put in, and how they filled it, my guess would be that they just put Dextron III in it or Toyota type IV make sure it has WS in it!

We had an 09 lexus RX350 i think it was it was there for a 60K service, we checked the tranny fluid it had the ws in it and it was brown, supposed to be bright red so when i get my tundra i will be servicing the transmission every 50K thats just me, im sure 80k would be fine also but i feel 100k is pushing it, just my opinion

Sold: 05 Mustang 4.0 full of mods

Currently driving: 01 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 (Its a free car to drive till i have enough saved.

Saving for: 2012 Tundra Crewmax SR5 5.7 (shooting for mid march
)

Last edited by CBTundra; 10-29-2011 at 11:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CBTundra For This Useful Post:
TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanked 2,140 Times in 837 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Guaranteed they don't carry Toyota WS fluid and just filled it with Dexron, Mercon, etc. I would go to the dealer asap and have it properly flushed, then present the bill to Tire Kingdom. These transmissions don't last long with the wrong fluid in them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1stYoda For This Useful Post:
SP (10-31-2011), TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
They used valvoline maxlife. They told me it replaces toyota t2 and t4...

-TRD Rear Sway Bar
-Firestick ll Antenna
The Following User Says Thank You to tightywhitey For This Useful Post:
TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I will never take my truck back to Tire Kingdom after today's visit. I have been using the same store for years and never had any issues. I went in for an oil change and tire rotation. I always provide a Toyota oil filter. Well today...I was the there almost 5 hours. Rather than draining my oil, they drained transmission fluid. So they had to flush my transmission fluid and refill. When I got home and checked everything out, they did not use my oil filter and my air filter box was not clamped shut. And to top it off, they told that it is time to replace my air filter. I laughed and said "really...it is a K&N". Of course they were speechless. So from now own, I will be doing my own maintenance.

Do I need to be concerned about the transmission flush? I have almost 38k miles on it. Under normal scheduled maintenance, when should this be done? And do I need to be to concerned about the non Toyota oil filter? Anything else that I should be concerned about?
I hear ya. When I bought my 2007 Tundra 5.7. No oil change place had the correct oil (5w-20) and never had an oil filter. So, I bought all the stuff and gave them specific instuctions. I would stand there and watch them change my oil. If they would not let me watch, they lost out. I alway tell them...Just change my oil and grease the fitting on the drive train, thats it. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!! One time, I had some kid try and put 10w-30 in my truck. I was pissed offfffffffffffffffffffff!! After that, I watch them like a hawk and give them specific instructions........if they try to check my tires, I blow a gasket!!!!! I work for a living, I dont need some kid killing my dream. So, buy all the stuff(oil/Filter) , watch them closely and dont let them touch anything else..............works for me! Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tundraa For This Useful Post:
tightywhitey (10-29-2011), TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 AM

No, you need WS like 1st yoda said, have the dealer flush it, just a train and refill wont drain the torque convertor, these trannys hold almost 11 quarts with the torque convertor, a simple drain and fill will get you 4 quarts if your lucky, by now the fluid will be in the convertor, mixed with everything else

or take it to a local shop that will do it right

Sold: 05 Mustang 4.0 full of mods

Currently driving: 01 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 (Its a free car to drive till i have enough saved.

Saving for: 2012 Tundra Crewmax SR5 5.7 (shooting for mid march
)

The Following User Says Thank You to CBTundra For This Useful Post:
TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraa View Post
I hear ya. When I bought my 2007 Tundra 5.7. No oil change place had the correct oil (5w-20) and never had an oil filter. So, I bought all the stuff and gave them specific instuctions. I would stand there and watch them change my oil. If they would not let me watch, they lost out. I alway tell them...Just change my oil and grease the fitting on the drive train, thats it. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!! One time, I had some kid try and put 10w-30 in my truck. I was pissed offfffffffffffffffffffff!! After that, I watch them like a hawk and give them specific instructions........if they try to check my tires, I blow a gasket!!!!! I work for a living, I dont need some kid killing my dream. So, buy all the stuff(oil/Filter) , watch them closely and dont let them touch anything else..............works for me! Good luck!
I usually stand there and watch them too and they do not mind it. I had my 16 month old son with me yesterday. He kept me pretty busy.

I called a few local dealers and they told me that Tire Kingdom has the same equipment they use to change the fluid.

-TRD Rear Sway Bar
-Firestick ll Antenna
The Following User Says Thank You to tightywhitey For This Useful Post:
TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Heading to the dealership...

-TRD Rear Sway Bar
-Firestick ll Antenna
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tightywhitey For This Useful Post:
SP (10-31-2011), TRD-X (10-29-2011)
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanked 5,161 Times in 2,184 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Toyota uses a special ATF designed for 100,000 miles service.

Amsoil, and maybe others, have a compatible ATF but I would recommend a flush and install of the right fluid, especially as your truck is on warranty.
A installation kit is required.

I use and talk about, but don't sell Amsoil.

2006 Tundra replaced a
98 Dakota 3.9 automatic, long bed.
Retired with broken A/C, July 2008.
623,000 miles.
On original engine and transmission.

+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Truth does not need to be 'balanced' and it ain't caused by voting or consensus or polls or yelling louder or silencing someone.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The dealership did not have time to get my truck in Saturday. However, they did have time to begin voiding my power-train warranty on my transmission. Toyota Corp was called after that. I will be getting the tranny flushed and filled with WS hopefully this afternoon or first thing in the morning. I have done a lot of reading about the Valvoline Maxlife fluid. Granted, alot from Valvoline...but it seems if a company like that put out documentation stating that their fluids will not void your warranty...how can Toyota? Does the dealership have a valid claim in voiding the warranty? I do not have an extended warranty. It is only the 60k power-train.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maxlife_ATF.pdf (32.7 KB, 14 views)

-TRD Rear Sway Bar
-Firestick ll Antenna
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,315 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The dealership did not have time to get my truck in Saturday. However, they did have time to begin voiding my power-train warranty on my transmission. Toyota Corp was called after that. I will be getting the tranny flushed and filled with WS hopefully this afternoon or first thing in the morning. I have done a lot of reading about the Valvoline Maxlife fluid. Granted, alot from Valvoline...but it seems if a company like that put out documentation stating that their fluids will not void your warranty...how can Toyota? Does the dealership have a valid claim in voiding the warranty? I do not have an extended warranty. It is only the 60k power-train.
crap man that sucks. I would take it up with Tire kingdom. They made this mess for you. Idiots! the trans comes after the friggen motor! Good luck with this mess. Tell the dealer to have a heart. You just wanted an oil change not a headache.

I am lucky my dealer took care of there mistake. They paid for the FLush and fill and did not void anything.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in