Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Quality of aftermarket Dorman axle shaft

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Muddawgx 
#1 ·
I have been dealing with my rear axle shaft and bearing on my 2000 tundra for a few weeks now. A little background... I hit a patch of ice and couldnt keep the back end from side swipping the center divid on the freeway.

I started hearing a wu wu wu sound and immidiatatley went to the bearing. Jacking up the truck and putting it in drive I found the rear driver wheel was wobbling. Bearing was no good. So i bought a new bearing from Napa Auto and took the axle shaft to the machine shop who said the axle shaft was bent. Ughhhhhh, so i spent the $200 for a Dorman shaft from rockauto. It is expected to arrive on Tuesday. I called the machine shop to let them now who said aftermarket axle shafts for these trucks are know to not be good.

Does anybody have any experience with Dorman axles? I am so over this project and just want it to be done but dont want to spend $700 on the OEM axle shaft. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#3 ·
First of all, whoooaa. car-part.com looks like a very handy website. I will definitely have to remember that one in the future. Secondly, that was the first thing I did was find a auto wrecker/dismantler and bought a used axle shaft assembly (shaft, backing plate, bearing and all) for $400. Unfortunately that part was no good either. Installed it on the truck and it was still making the same sound. Although the sound was much quieter.

My next step, if the Dorman part ends up being bad, will be to remove the used axle shaft I bought and take it to the machine shop to check it for flaring. The only thing is, that's my only vehicle.:facepalm:

#7 ·
Well I certaintly dont like hearing that! I didn't find any real bad reviews of Dorman online. Have you had bad experiences with Dorman products in the past?

My part just came in today. Taking it to the machine shop tomorrow so I guess I will find out real soon if it was manufactured correctly.

Thanks for the posts. I will update this thread once I get it all finished.

#6 ·
I know people who have run Yukon shafts, I was close to using one myself if mine was toast on my GN I had. Dorman parts aren't always bad, just have only had one axle issue, and not on the Tundra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.