strange transmission fluid colors at change - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
strange transmission fluid colors at change

Hello,
This is my first post because I can't find any related info anywhere I've searched

I performed a transmission fluid replacement yesterday because my used '14 Tundra 5.7 with tow pkg has no available records after 55K, currently it is at 129K miles.
The fluid was brownish red when I released a few drops from the level check plug, but I replaced it anyway (with Valvoline Max Life) because I plan to use the truck for towing. After I drained the pan, some of the fluid ended up on the drip pan when I transferred to empty containers. It was TWO distinct colors! There was the usual brownish red and a purple colored fluid that was separate from the other like oil and water would be. Could this be an additive to mask/diminish problems with the tranny? Things like this worry me because I paid more for this truck than I had ever paid for a new car until a few years ago. Any help or enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Hopefully it wasn't coolant .

If not .....
I Cannot explain the two different colors , sorry .

But since you only did a pan drop , you are not near changing all the fluid . Why didn't you go with oem fluid , is what you used 100% compatible with the remaining fluid ?

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I did as close to a full fluid change as I could under circumstances I won't get into right now. Approximately 12 quarts replaced which is almost full capacity. I also can't see how coolant could get into the tranny because the cooler is shared with A/C but not engine coolant. Does refrigerant stay liquid without pressurized containment? There didn't seem to be a whole lot of the purple fluid, maybe it was leftovers from some Royal Purple product previously put into the tranny? Anyway, I'll probably never know. I guess all I can do is hope everything remains in good working order during my ownership! BTW, my coolant is dark pink, is THAT normal? :-)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:11 AM

Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,061 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
the tranny has an oil to water heat exchanger attached to it.
refrigerant would not show up in oil as it evaporates at atmospheric pressure.

oem fluid is the best way to go on these transmissions.

Last edited by restosud; 04-10-2019 at 02:15 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
OP. you have some not Normal stuff going on , mainly because everyone has changed fluids with god knows what thinking its better than oem.

IF you do have coolant ( Hope Not ) in the trans oil , you will know in short order . Auto trans doesnt dig that at all and it will cease to funtion

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info restosud. I wondered where those hoses from the fluid heater were going.
Looks like I need to do some more research. I still have the old fluid in containers, I guess I'll pour the first container into another until nearly empty and then pour the rest into a pan and see if something was on the bottom. The purple I saw was in the fluid drained from the pan which amounted to 6 (!) quarts. That seemed a little too much from what I'd read. Also, when I did the pan drain, I started with the level plug just to see how close it was to correct level (engine off, cool temp, on ramps to level on a sloped driveway), and about 2 quarts came out! I checked with a guy at the local dealership and he said that was because the engine wasn't running. I felt better. After refilling about 6 quarts, I did the cooler line drain technique in 2 quart intervals 3 times and accounting for spillage when the fill hose came out (twice!) I removed and replaced 12 quarts. When I did the paperclip level check, D was lit continuously, engine idling, I pulled the plug (check, NOT drain!) and ANOTHER 2 plus quarts came out! That tells me that it was overfilled by someone by about 2 quarts! It seemed to drive fine before and after the fluid replacement. Granted, it was only a 20 mile test drive, but nothing seemed different. Dare I risk ANOTHER level check? I still have 3.5 fresh quarts left.

SIDEBAR:
I used Valvoline Max Life fluid because many write-ups by various people at various web sites sang it's praises (I've been researching this for weeks in my spare time) while many others derided Toyota's because it's not really synthetic and it's overpriced. I saw nearly no posts praising Toyota's fluid until I changed mine!

Last edited by Snellums; 04-10-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
If coolant has leaked into your transmission, you should have seen evidence of water/fluid emulsion. That is what happens when you thrash water around in the lubricating oil of operating machinery, and that is also the genesis of the "pink milk shake" description...the pink color being more from the fluid than from coolant.

Toyota coolant is normally reddish-pink, depending on how diluted the solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats

Last edited by OldGuy43; 04-10-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
If you still have the drained fluid, I would send it off oil analysis to find out it's condition and components present (search).

It's not like you've wasted fluid and effort changing it at 129K miles...it was overdue if it has never been changed, and "brownish red" suggests it was ready. If the fluid stratified into brownish red and purplish fluid layers, I would try to take analysis samples of each.

Stratification indicates two different fluid densities. You are likely correct that an additive was installed, but that, in itself, may not necessarily mean the transmission has an incipient issue. Owners that don't know any better do "maintenance" for the strangest reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 SR5 DC TSS 4.6L 2WD Magnetic Gray Metallic/Charcoal Gray
* Undercover Flex tonneau cover
* Coverking neoprene seat covers
* Auto headlight conversion
* Power tail gate lock
* Toyota weather mats
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Those are good and reassuring bits of info. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in