4wd vs 2wd - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All BS aside. All money aside. All maintenance concerns aside. I'd rather have 4 wheel drive and only use it 1 day out of 365 all day long. That's a personal preference and nothing more. Probably a good idea to use your geographical location and its weather conditions to aid in your decision making process.
The Following User Says Thank You to 40cal86 For This Useful Post:
Skip C (06-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I Agree... Location and Use is Everything... I live in Middle GA and bought a New 2003 Limited Stepside w/4WD... During 5-Years of Ownership, I Never Engaged the 4WD... To Be Honest, I Forgot It Was There... It Didn't Dawn On Me That I Never Turned 4WD On Until The Night I Traded It In For A New 2008 CM Limited 2WD... To This Day, I have No Idea What An Engaged 4WD Vehicle Drives or Feels Like... So All You 4x4 Owners Can Feel Fully Justified Adding My Name To The 4x4 Tundra "Hall of Shame!"

2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited | TRD Supercharger | TRD Dual Exhaust | Autometer 5776 Electric Boost/Vac Gauge | Tinted Windows | ARE Tonneau Cover w/Brake Light Rear Spoiler | Bailongju Door Projector Ghost Shadow Lights | CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna | AMI Locking Fuel Door | Classy Autos White LED Interior Bulbs | Pirate Chrome Billet Shift Knob | TRD Aluminum Foot Pedals | 1794 Chrome Clad Wheels
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Living in Eastern Pennsylvania we get varying amounts of snow. Depending on the area, some roads are plowed/salted well and others are not touched AT ALL. In the last month I have used my 4WD 5-6 times for most if not all the entire trip to/from work. In some cases the snowfall was not all that deep but the roads were packed down snow/ice. On a few trips I used S-Mode quite often to go down some rather large snow/ice covered hills I had to use.

During the Spring/Summer/Fall I have used my 4WD any number of times at car show trailer parking areas. Wet grass and even the slightest grade makes 4WD a MUST when towing a loaded, enclosed car trailer.

Like others have said 2WD or 4WD comes down to one's needs and location.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars TWACCM #48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to charlier For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-16-2019)

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Like some have said, where you live or what you do is critical. I live in NW Minnesota. Use the 4wd often for about 6 months of the year. Having a rwd truck is much different than a fwd vehicle. I use 4x4 just to get going at intersections. Having said that, the wife has a Sienna that does remarkably well in the snow. She just can't plow with it :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to 2012TundraBob For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-18-2019)
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People keep commenting about less maintenance with 2 wheel drive but what does that mean? Nowadays the only real maintenance is greasing driveshafts (depending on model vehicle) and checking the u joints. Theres not much more maintenance than a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I've had trucks my entire life and I've had 4x4 on all of them. I watched a buddy of mine with a 2 wheel drive truck get stuck in a dirt parking lot at a concert, same lot a bunch of cars and other vehicles were parked in, he just managed to get the soft spot and because it was 2 wheel drive he couldnt get out. Much rather have 4x4 and not need it than not have it and need it. Idk why they even make 2 wheel drive trucks to be honest. Maintenance is literally turning 4x4 on like once every few months and checking to make sure the u joints aren't loose. Seems easy to me
The Following User Says Thank You to Facetatsandflannels For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-18-2019)
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
With a 4WD, you have transfer case fluids, front differential gear oil, driveshaft, and half-shafts to the wheels with CV joints with all the electronics and servo mechanisms. Overtime thats a bunch more maintenance and repair over a 2WD. I wouldn't own a truck as a daily driver without 4WD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facetatsandflannels View Post
People keep commenting about less maintenance with 2 wheel drive but what does that mean? Nowadays the only real maintenance is greasing driveshafts (depending on model vehicle) and checking the u joints. Theres not much more maintenance than a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I've had trucks my entire life and I've had 4x4 on all of them. I watched a buddy of mine with a 2 wheel drive truck get stuck in a dirt parking lot at a concert, same lot a bunch of cars and other vehicles were parked in, he just managed to get the soft spot and because it was 2 wheel drive he couldnt get out. Much rather have 4x4 and not need it than not have it and need it. Idk why they even make 2 wheel drive trucks to be honest. Maintenance is literally turning 4x4 on like once every few months and checking to make sure the u joints aren't loose. Seems easy to me

2017 TRD PRO Double Cab in Cement
Mods/Additions: Roadmaster Active Suspension, TRD PRO rear anti-sway bar, Go Rhino RB 20 Side Steps, PE Ultra Track tonneau cover, Lund Revolution Bull bar, Piaa LED Fog Lights, RBP Fender Armor, Bedrug bedmat , Pop N lock Tailgate lock, Toyota LED Bedlights
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUZZI For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-19-2019), Vettelover84 (02-20-2019)
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Resell is better on 4wd. Especially if you plan on keep one 10 years or more. Check out most any make and model of truck and you will see a huge difference in value. 4wd hold their value much better.

Front wheel drive is fine with 2wd. Rear wheel.... nope.
The Following User Says Thank You to sundance For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-19-2019)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Idiot drivers can get FWD, RWD, 4WD, and AWD vehicles stuck with relative ease.

Experienced drivers, not so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H2O MAN For This Useful Post:
charlier (02-21-2019), Powertechn2 (02-20-2019)
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that 4WD is the best option for areas that get snow, but one factor I didn’t see mentioned so far is what I consider to be the main argument for 2WD: towing capacity.

2WD gets a boost in towing and hauling capacity based on the fact that it doesn’t have to haul around a transfer case, extra differential and driveshaft, to the tune of like 400 pounds hauling and something like two thousand pound towing

2017 Tundra Crewcab 5.7L, 2WD

Last edited by Oscar22; 02-21-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
The upfront costs vs being stuck, or towed balance out.

Maintenance isn't much unless you do anything stupid causing repair.

Front diff and T-case fluid, which one poster here has said you never have to change, so no maintenance, lol.
How much does a tow cost where you live? Usually the 4x4 adds a couple grand to the cost, you must call a helicopter when you get stuck.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 PM

Thanked 10,717 Times in 5,790 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb4187 View Post
How much does a tow cost where you live? Usually the 4x4 adds a couple grand to the cost, you must call a helicopter when you get stuck.
A helicopter? Really?!?

My last tow was in 1998, it cost me $350 when my Mustang blew the clutch self adjuster gears.

I know people who have had trucks or equipment stuck and their bills were over 1k...

Obviously you didn't read, we were talking about maintenance. I did say up front cost, but 4x4 will bring in more residual value down the road...That is a negligible amount if you get it back, or most of it. Fluid is cheap. In 15 years of owning 4x4's, my total 4wd maintenance costs are maybe $200-$300 in fluids... I have never been stuck.

The dollars isn't the only thing. If you get stuck because it is snowy, you have kids and wife screaming at you... Or even if you have take out food that you now have to eat cold after you wait an hour for a tow truck. Money is money, time is priceless. Plus when your buddies give you shit for not buying a 4x4, say you might as well have bought a prius... Well, that's just funny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 02-21-2019 at 05:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
charlier (02-21-2019)
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Like everyone else has said. It is a matter of personal preference and where you live. I tow my boats, RV and live where the snow and ice get bad at times. I don't use the 4x4 option often, but when I do I need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to MrMax For This Useful Post:
theoat (02-25-2019)
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,226 Times in 4,464 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMax View Post
I don't use the 4x4 option often, but when I do I need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it in my opinion.
That sums it up. I got by in shitty Buffalo NY for 25 yrs with 2wd and mostly Rwd. But having the option of 4wd in tough situations sure makes life easier. In my opinion, the traction control makes navigating the snow and ice easier. The 4wd has a bigger impact getting traction in the mud. I will drive a 2wd in the snow no problem. I would feel less confident in a few inches of sloppy mud with 2wd.
At the end of the day, the right tires are far more important than any other factor. Good snow tires are far more effective than M/T or A/T in snow, even if they have the silly "snowflake rating". So, you can get by with 2wd and actual snow tires just fine. Just have to change them out for summer.

Around here, the average flatbed tow is currently $75 + $4 p/mile.
Not sure what it is to pull you out of a ditch or unwrap you frim a pole. Probably more.

Last edited by RRzxter; 02-25-2019 at 10:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Skip C (06-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in