Interesting Torque Converter Discovery - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting Torque Converter Discovery

@ToyotasForever

The obd fusion app shows it has a watch and iPad app as well in the App Store.

I am just looking into getting this but thinking that app will be the best fit for me. Trying to pick out a Bluetooth adapter. I would like the kiwi but donít really want to spend that much but Iím scared to cheap out and be unhappy.

Edit: ordered this one 1/4 the price of the kiwi3 with similar reviews. Still listed as compatible on the obd fusion app.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If itís junk Iíll order the kiwi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mrmachinist; 03-29-2018 at 08:22 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
MtnClimber (03-30-2018), ToyotasForever (03-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotasForever View Post
MtnClimber,

I have a 2014 DC 5.7, and an old (but working) iPad that was given to me, that I'd like to use with an OBDII data-reader for now, and later, have that same OBDII adapter work with an iPhone.

I try to limit the amount of WiFi my wife is exposed to, as she is a breast cancer survivor with a genetic sensitivity to radiation, and medical science has not yet ruled out the (potentially-negative) effects of even low amounts of EMR, especially given her particular genetic mutation's known sensitivity to (some forms of) radiation.

Since (I understand that) BlueTooth puts out less wattage than WiFi, I'd like to find a Bluetooth-compatible OBDII scanning device like you all are using, that would work with the iPad, and an iPhone.

Can you (or anyone else?) recommend an ODBII-reader that would use Bluetooth and work with BOTH my current iPad and an iPhone?

Also, ideally, I would like to scroll through menu choices, rather than enter whatever these "clunky PID codes" are that folks are referring to, as being required to operate some of these adapters.

Thanks in advance,

ToyotasForever
Not sure the question can be answered as to will it work with both your current iPad and iPhone without knowing which models you have. The problem you may have with older models is that they don't support Bluetooth 4.0 which is required by the better OBDII readers. I believe Apple began using Bluetooth 4.0 in the iPhone 4S and iPad 3rd Gen (iPad 3) and all newer models.

I have used the Kiwi3 with iPad Mini 4 and iPad Air 2, both of which are fairly new models. The mapping function in OBD Fusion doesn't work as these wifi-only iPads don't have built in GPS, but that's not a show stopper for me.

Here's a picture of my present set-up in action...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1014258.jpg (199.4 KB, 24 views)

2012 Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia SR5 4WD 4.6L
TRD Pro eng skid, Or-Fab trans skid, custom transfer case skid, RCI gas tank skid, 1.75" lift with 6112 on lowest notch, Wheeler's Superbumps (front), Revtek 441R & 5100 (rear), Michelin Defender LT275/70R18 on MB Chaos +25, 3rd Row Removed

Last edited by MtnClimber; 03-30-2018 at 12:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MtnClimber For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (06-11-2019)
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
Trying to pick out a Bluetooth adapter. I would like the kiwi but donít really want to spend that much but Iím scared to cheap out and be unhappy.

Edit: ordered this one 1/4 the price of the kiwi3 with similar reviews. Still listed as compatible on the obd fusion app.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If itís junk Iíll order the kiwi

The specs on the Veepeak look good as far as I can see. "wonít drain your battery even if you leave it plugged in for weeks" is a nice feature that the Kiwi also has. Let us know how it works out, either way.

TRD Pro eng skid, Or-Fab trans skid, custom transfer case skid, RCI gas tank skid, 1.75" lift with 6112 on lowest notch, Wheeler's Superbumps (front), Revtek 441R & 5100 (rear), Michelin Defender LT275/70R18 on MB Chaos +25, 3rd Row Removed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MtnClimber For This Useful Post:
mrmachinist (03-30-2018), ToyotasForever (06-11-2019)

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnClimber View Post
The specs on the Veepeak look good as far as I can see. "wonít drain your battery even if you leave it plugged in for weeks" is a nice feature that the Kiwi also has. Let us know how it works out, either way.

I got it in today. Connected right away to obd fusion. I bought the Toyota expansion and it took a little bit to get the pids to show up. Going visit my mom tomorrow about an hour away Iím going to play with it some more. First impressions are good so far.

On a side note which trans temp is the pan and which is the TC out of 1 and 2?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
MtnClimber (03-31-2018), R. Spiker (03-31-2018), ToyotasForever (06-11-2019)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmachinist View Post
I got it in today. Connected right away to obd fusion. I bought the Toyota expansion and it took a little bit to get the pids to show up. Going visit my mom tomorrow about an hour away Iím going to play with it some more. First impressions are good so far.

On a side note which trans temp is the pan and which is the TC out of 1 and 2?

That's easy to determine. Once the truck has warmed up, drop the tranny into 3rd gear and take off from a stop. One of the two tranny temps will start to climb. That is your torque converter.

2014 Limited CrewMax 4x4 w/ tow mirrors and 46 gallon Transfer Flow fuel tank pulling a Lance Travel trailer
The Following User Says Thank You to R. Spiker For This Useful Post:
mrmachinist (03-31-2018)
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Spiker View Post
That's easy to determine. Once the truck has warmed up, drop the tranny into 3rd gear and take off from a stop. One of the two tranny temps will start to climb. That is your torque converter.
Good answer. I might have said it a bit different. When the truck is cold, drop the tranny into gear, hold the brakes, and give it a tiny bit of gas. One of the two tranny temps will start to climb. That is your torque converter.

The Following User Says Thank You to MtnClimber For This Useful Post:
ToyotasForever (06-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in