Poll: 3rd Gen: How long does it take for your truck to disengage from 4WD to 2WD? - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: how long to disengage in a straight line
10 seconds 33 51.56%
20 seconds 13 20.31%
1 minute 1 1.56%
5 minutes 0 0%
20 inutes 2 3.13%
no problem at all wet or dry in a 2014+ 18 28.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,045 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
^I took it to mean to OP wanted a time to quantify what is normal or not, rather than "it works fine". Well, what is fine? Fine is subjective, and unquantifiable. Answering with a time instead takes the subjective "fine" out of it.

Just like how the dealer says his 4x4 is "fine" or "normal" lol

But I don't know for sure, just what I attributed it to.

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust | Full VLEDS | 2018 OEM LED Headlights & Fog Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatAvalon For This Useful Post:
SP (02-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
That makes sense. Thanks.

2014 Crew Max 1794 4X4 non flex fuel
post #33 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 PM
BCB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
oh, I understood you previous post as since you're already going near 0mph because you're stuck, might as well just stop, put it in neutral and go to 4 lo. But yeah truck does have to be stopped.

I do think it should engage instantaneously but oh well.. I didn't design this thing.
The transfer case has to be in 4wd HI before it will go into 4wd LO...

You can't go from 2wd to 4wd LO in one motion, even if you are stopped and in neutral...

'Tis the 4wd nature--even from many many years ago...

But with the manual lever, you could "grind" the hell out of it and sometimes get an engagement...

BCB

post #34 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:56 PM
BCB

He gave you a category called “no problems at all wet or dry in a 2014+”…

I am not speaking for the OP but if he gets many hits other than what he thinks should be the case/timeframe of engagement, he may wish to consider his opinion of his engagement/disengagement thoughts…

It would seem the highest percentage of hits to his poll would be what is “normal” or at least what people think is normal—this is still not a valid way to make the decision…

Example: A poll is set up to ask the question—Do you have Cancer. You get 50 votes that say yes, and you get 25 votes that say no—what is acceptable? Does that make it acceptable to have Cancer since 50 vs 25 have it?...

The OP is merely trying to get numbers to show his service manager what the “general population of Tundra owners” have to say…

Many of his posters will be people with absolute knowledge of how the theory of 4wd functions—other will be posting just to “say they know” and to get another click in the number of posts they have made…

I am sure Toyota has a standard for this shifting ordeal. It will certainly be in their favor as I doubt many of them have really had to use 4wd when it really mattered—i.e., to earn a living, emergency work, in an environment where weather might be life-threatening, etc…

Hell, there are people posting that haven’t even used 4wd LO yet. There are people posting that have probably never had a vehicle in 2-feet of snow or heavy equipment tire/track ruts 18” deep when it was a wind chill of -40°. There are people posting who don’t even understand the concept of “4wd LO”…

I would like to see some of these posters put a set of bulldog chains on the front of the vehicle when it is -20°, in mud and snow up to you’re a**, and no cell ‘phone service. Now that’s when you need 4wd that works and just doesn’t look cool with the person sitting next to you on the way to Wal-Mart on Friday evening…

Hell, just put it in Low Range and you can climb up one side of a house and down the other side. Low range has its purposes, but it also allows you to “run out” of rpm’s (put it up into the red and hang on) before you get out of the “mud, blood, and beer” and on your way to your destination or job requirement…

BUT, I am now beginning to believe that Toyota and the Tundra are mostly for cosmetic purposes. Shine them, deck them, take pics of them, and it is all great…

I continue to be very discouraged with the ’14 Tundra I have. The 4wd selector system is probably one of the main reasons—but hey, I doubt it will change…

Why don’t we allow the dealer to fix the problem if it exists? Because he doesn’t know what the problem is. Mostly he has nothing to compare it to. He is 20-30-40 years old and has never seen anything but “button select” systems. And being cool on some back road in a freak snowstorm…

I am not going to change my thoughts on the inadequacies of the method of 4wd selection in my 2014 Tundra. I would not recommend it to anyone other than someone who wants to just drive around and have a nice looking vehicle…

And so it goes…

Bring it on…

Good-luck…BCB
The Following User Says Thank You to BCB For This Useful Post:
SP (02-26-2015)
post #35 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

I don't know much about 4wd systems, like I said, this is my first truck. But I can count to no more than "10 Mississippi"

OP, I really hope they are able to get it sorted out!

2016 Tundra - DC | Limited | TRD | 5.7 | 4x4 | Lux Pack | Ceramic Tint | Husky X-Act Contour | AMP PowerSteps | TRD Sway Bar | TRD Exhaust | Full VLEDS | 2018 OEM LED Headlights & Fog Lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GreatAvalon; 02-26-2015 at 05:13 PM.
SP (02-26-2015)
post #36 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,316 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolznaz View Post
OK, now I am confused. Mine works perfectly, too, but you have asked us not to show that in the poll, right? Why? It seems you would want the poll to reflect reality rather than manipulate the results.

It would work to your favor to show 2014+ 4x4's that work as they should. That would show what you are experiencing is not normal (and it isn't), and that yours should be repaired to work correctly. If you manipulate your poll to show only trucks with problems, then your own research is destined to make this look normal? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what you would like to accomplish?

Finally, why would your dealer not want to fix this? I thought dealers LOVE warranty work as manufacturers pay them for the work. Isn't that a huge source of revenue and profit for the dealer's service department? The dealer doesn't pay for that work. Toyota does. Am I missing something?

I have no dog in this hunt and I'm not trying to be critical. I just wanted to throw out a couple of thoughts for you to consider. Maybe I misunderstood the intent of your poll or what you are hoping to accomplish. I apologize if I did.
1)I did not mean to create the last poll option. I consider the first poll option Not a problem

2) I think they really dont know what the problem is an dont want to sound stupid or change the transfer case if its the front diff or a sensor ect.. They want me to drop my truck off so this tech rep from toyota can look at it. But HELL no im not leaving it there. Ill stay put and test drive every 2014+ tundra on the with the rep present in the other trucks. Im taking the day off. I did not pay all this money for there "special" 1794 edition to have this weird crap going on and have to live with it.

3) I understand why you would be confused by my poll... lol its all good man. I just want baby to come out of 4wd when I turn the knob back to 2wd.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SP For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-21-2016), Powertechn2 (02-28-2015)
post #37 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
SP
Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
He gave you a category called “no problems at all wet or dry in a 2014+”…

I am not speaking for the OP but if he gets many hits other than what he thinks should be the case/timeframe of engagement, he may wish to consider his opinion of his engagement/disengagement thoughts…

It would seem the highest percentage of hits to his poll would be what is “normal” or at least what people think is normal—this is still not a valid way to make the decision…

Example: A poll is set up to ask the question—Do you have Cancer. You get 50 votes that say yes, and you get 25 votes that say no—what is acceptable? Does that make it acceptable to have Cancer since 50 vs 25 have it?...

The OP is merely trying to get numbers to show his service manager what the “general population of Tundra owners” have to say…

Many of his posters will be people with absolute knowledge of how the theory of 4wd functions—other will be posting just to “say they know” and to get another click in the number of posts they have made…

I am sure Toyota has a standard for this shifting ordeal. It will certainly be in their favor as I doubt many of them have really had to use 4wd when it really mattered—i.e., to earn a living, emergency work, in an environment where weather might be life-threatening, etc…

Hell, there are people posting that haven’t even used 4wd LO yet. There are people posting that have probably never had a vehicle in 2-feet of snow or heavy equipment tire/track ruts 18” deep when it was a wind chill of -40°. There are people posting who don’t even understand the concept of “4wd LO”…

I would like to see some of these posters put a set of bulldog chains on the front of the vehicle when it is -20°, in mud and snow up to you’re a**, and no cell ‘phone service. Now that’s when you need 4wd that works and just doesn’t look cool with the person sitting next to you on the way to Wal-Mart on Friday evening…

Hell, just put it in Low Range and you can climb up one side of a house and down the other side. Low range has its purposes, but it also allows you to “run out” of rpm’s (put it up into the red and hang on) before you get out of the “mud, blood, and beer” and on your way to your destination or job requirement…

BUT, I am now beginning to believe that Toyota and the Tundra are mostly for cosmetic purposes. Shine them, deck them, take pics of them, and it is all great…

I continue to be very discouraged with the ’14 Tundra I have. The 4wd selector system is probably one of the main reasons—but hey, I doubt it will change…

Why don’t we allow the dealer to fix the problem if it exists? Because he doesn’t know what the problem is. Mostly he has nothing to compare it to. He is 20-30-40 years old and has never seen anything but “button select” systems. And being cool on some back road in a freak snowstorm…

I am not going to change my thoughts on the inadequacies of the method of 4wd selection in my 2014 Tundra. I would not recommend it to anyone other than someone who wants to just drive around and have a nice looking vehicle…

And so it goes…

Bring it on…

Good-luck…BCB
You speak better than me my brother. This ain't my first rodeo with 4wd and 4lo. I just need some ammo when I get to meet the rep. Im really frustrated with the situation. My luck this year has been bad. Bad decisions trading in a 08 that I loved and had no problems with except the water pump leak that some people had.

thanks again to everyone who votes no matter how much off road experience you may or maynot have.

Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
The Following User Says Thank You to SP For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (02-28-2015)
post #38 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Seems like a front diff issue is re appearing in the new trucks that the 2007-08s had. I had my front diff replaced under warranty and haven had any issues since.

Prior to the diff replacement my truck would probably take 30 sec to disengage and when it finally did it gave a big clunk.

After the diff replacement everything is super fast and smooth.

Maybe another toyota service bulletin to come out soon?

Get out and Go!

New England Tundra Club Member #59
Tundra Campers Club #67
The Following User Says Thank You to amo292 For This Useful Post:
SP (02-26-2015)
post #39 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
SP
Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo292 View Post
Seems like a front diff issue is re appearing in the new trucks that the 2007-08s had. I had my front diff replaced under warranty and haven had any issues since.

Prior to the diff replacement my truck would probably take 30 sec to disengage and when it finally did it gave a big clunk.

After the diff replacement everything is super fast and smooth.

Maybe another toyota service bulletin to come out soon?

I have a feeling it is the front diff. The only time I can get out of 4wd is to slow down to make a right or left turn. Or the transfer case actuator is binding on something not letting it come out.

post #40 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
I have been in and out of 4wd a lot this past week. Colorado has been getting a fair amount of snow. It takes me 3-5 seconds if that to engage or disengage.

Paying that kind of money for a top of the line Tundra and getting the run around would make me livid as well.
post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Just a random thought... have you checked the wire that goes to the actuator to make sure its not damaged and its fully connected? I remember once mine got slightly disconnected after driving through some deep snow and it gave me some funny reactions. The connecting wire is in a pretty precarious place.

Im also not sure if they ever changed the front diff from 07 to current. You may have just gotten one of a bad batch like me..

Get out and Go!

New England Tundra Club Member #59
Tundra Campers Club #67
The Following User Says Thank You to amo292 For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-21-2016)
post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
SP
Premium Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo292 View Post
Just a random thought... have you checked the wire that goes to the actuator to make sure its not damaged and its fully connected? I remember once mine got slightly disconnected after driving through some deep snow and it gave me some funny reactions. The connecting wire is in a pretty precarious place.

Im also not sure if they ever changed the front diff from 07 to current. You may have just gotten one of a bad batch like me..
yeah when I left the dealer for the second time. I got under there myself to see if there was a loose wire. You can tell that the @holes at the dealer never touched it as it was covered with road grime and salt ect.. Not a finger print anywhere. There is 3 or 4 connectors. I unpluged 1 or 2 that I could get to without jacking the truck up and they all seem plugged in and non damaged. You would think they would have tried that too when I droped it off the second time when there "master technician" was in to see it.

thanks for the thought though. I cant see if there is a wire on the front diff that may be loose. Or if the front diff has any electronic parts at all. Does anyone know?

post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:19 AM
BCB

Well, one thing I think we can all agree on is the fact that SP certainly has a problem as shown in his video…

I believe I also have a problem, but not to the extent that SP shows…

But, the problem I think I have may be because I am comparing my 2014 4wd engage/disengage system to my previous 4wd vehicles. And, that includes my 2011 Tundra…

I Googled the service bulletins for Tundra and found none listed for the 2014 when it comes to the 4wd system. But, I am uncertain the information on that site is completely up-to-date…

I guess I will mention my concerns to my dealer when I return it for its 20K service. Maybe something will be known about this “issue” or this “issue” I might just be perceiving—wrongly they might indicate…

Good-luck…BCB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BCB For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-21-2016), SP (02-27-2015)
post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Good luck to you @BCB !!

SP (02-27-2015)
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 12:22 AM

Thanked 10,688 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
A guy at work tried to buy an s-10. He tested it, the light came on that he was in 4wd, but it didn't engage. Turns out his diff was bad. I mean, bad like diff had failed. The truck thought it was engaged because it was, but actually no power was transferred to the front wheels. The guy selling it said it was a sensor. Guy at work took it to a ring/pinion shop. They found the issue.

Is it actually staying engaged, or just the light is staying on?

Either way, best of luck to you. Sucks to have issues on a new truck. I didn't vote on the newest poll as I don't have a 14, and it takes way less than 10 seconds.

P.S. What I was saying about the guy at work may seem irrelevant, but it brought up the thinking of whether the 4wd is actually staying engaged or not. Could put a camera under the truck and drive. This would help see if the T-case is staying engaged or is actually disengaging and narrow it down to the slip lock or a sensor. On guy at works not bought truck I removed the battery tray, applied vac to the vac actuator and could watch the cable move throughout the normal travel range and at that point could tell the slip lock appeared to be working, and the sensor also was doing it's job.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 02-28-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in