LinkBack Thread Tools
post #916 of 1299 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestOverlanders View Post
I would mind joining. I don't camp in a camper however, I'm more into overlanding and tent camping.
Love that picture. Just outstanding. Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4X4 Pyrite Mica
5.7L TRD Supercharger, Camburg UCA, Bilstein 6112,
Bilstein 5100, Coachbuilder +2 shackles & carrier drop,
Factory Tow Package, Fender Flares, Weathertech Mats
20" Platinum Wheels - Michelin LTX A/T2 LT275/65 R20
FlowMaster CatBack Exhaust - TransferFlow 46gal Fuel Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #917 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Not mine, but I saw this TRD Pro with XP Camper the other day

post #918 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
70 Degrees down here in Texas!! its almost time!

Retired USAF

Texas Tundra Club #198
Tundra Campers Club #87
1998 Tacoma 4X4- Sold
2006 TRD Sr5 4X4- Sold
2010 Sr5 4x4- traded
2015 TSS Sr5 4X4- Current

post #919 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misawagator View Post
70 Degrees down here in Texas!! its almost time!
Almost time? Sounds like the perfect time! 8 degrees here in western NY with a High Saturday around 0!
post #920 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardeenm1 View Post
Almost time? Sounds like the perfect time! 8 degrees here in western NY with a High Saturday around 0!
Very True!

Retired USAF

Texas Tundra Club #198
Tundra Campers Club #87
1998 Tacoma 4X4- Sold
2006 TRD Sr5 4X4- Sold
2010 Sr5 4x4- traded
post #921 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
This is the first year I got some time to camp. Last few year family commitments had made be go to india and not having enough vacation for any extended plans.

I am excited to see how the tundra does. it has 115k and is new to towing. this year plan to visit Delaware seashore park, assatague [sp?] state park, hersey pa and a few state parks in PA. not a long trip. just a week in july leave the camper in storage somewhere and then pick it up in august and do another week before heading home to MA. Around 2k of towing.

i am changing the coolant today, i got airbags on craigslist which i cleaned and repainted yesterday. put some 4600 HD shocks in the rear.next up i found a DC stock exhaust , might swap the flowmaster 40 full exhaust headache maker . does anyone know if a DC exhaust will work on a crewmax?.how hard is it to swap, do i need to weld or it is just bolts?

New England Tundra Club Member #20

-2008 Black
-CM Limited
-NFab Runners
-Rims
-Full exhaust

Last edited by silverfz; 02-28-2016 at 07:50 AM.
post #922 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 AM

Thanked 1,468 Times in 893 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Garage
I believe the DC & CM share the same frame (DC/CM swap cab & bed space). As far as I know the exhaust systems between the two should bolt right up!

2012 Nautical Blue Tundra CM, Limited, 5.7, 4x4, TRD Off Road.
New England Tundra Club Member #23
Tundra-with-a-Plow-Club #1
Tundra Campers Club Member #2
Save The Chrome Club Member #6
Tundra Ham Radio Club #5
post #923 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Thanks , the dealership told me i have a full exhaust and it would take a full replace.but i question their expertise as most dealerships have become oil change stations. I am getting it for 50 so not a big investment if it does not work.
post #924 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:08 PM

Thanked 1,949 Times in 1,392 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
If you know what year it came from Keith aka dirtydeeds can make an adapter for it if it doesn't fit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2010 Crew Max TRD
OME 612 front
Coachbuilder +2 Coachbuilder shackles rear with OME shocks
Ranch hand front bumper
Hawk LTS Pads at 4 corners with Centric Powerslot rotors
35X12.50x20 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires
20X9 +30 Dick Cepek Torque Rims
Diamondback Bed Cover
e-bay Pocket Flares
24" LED Light Bar
K&N drop in

Official Tri-State Member #6
post #925 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

New to camping with a trailer, but not to tent camping.

So after many years of tent camping I've decided to invest on getting a travel trailer. So after researching several months on the subject I went to a local RV show in our area to see them in person.

Wow, theres a wealth of variety out there to see and buy and all very confusing indeed. So I would like to get recommendations and ownership experience based on the brands you had purchased from the current owners in here. This is what I've narrowed it down too but I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Travel trailer needs;
Looking for length size 19-26ft
Pulling this with my Tundra
People using using for the majority are two people and two dogs

As for brands I looked and what Ive seen, I'm tending to lean to what are called couple coaches. Seem to have more room in them?
brands I looked at were:
Forest River: Surveyor 240RBS
Forest River: Surveyor 251RKS
Highland Ridge RV: Open Range Ultralite UT2604RB
Dutchman: Aerolite Zero Gravity 213RBSL
Forest River: Vibe 221RBSL

Keystone I looked at, but I met a couple of disgruntled owners at the show. So I got mixed feelings about them.
My goal is to find something thats reliable and trying to keep the price range under 25k
Thanks!

2015 Tundra DC,SR5,TRD,5.7,Barcelona Red,4x4
2012 tundra DC, 4.6, (Passed on down the line)
Mods: bed liner, Bakflip g2,
2007 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4 EB (RIP)
2003 Ford F350 4x4/7.3 Diesel (RIP)
post #926 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc32 View Post
Hi everyone!

New to camping with a trailer, but not to tent camping.

So after many years of tent camping I've decided to invest on getting a travel trailer. So after researching several months on the subject I went to a local RV show in our area to see them in person.

Wow, theres a wealth of variety out there to see and buy and all very confusing indeed. So I would like to get recommendations and ownership experience based on the brands you had purchased from the current owners in here. This is what I've narrowed it down too but I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Travel trailer needs;
Looking for length size 19-26ft
Pulling this with my Tundra
People using using for the majority are two people and two dogs

As for brands I looked and what Ive seen, I'm tending to lean to what are called couple coaches. Seem to have more room in them?
brands I looked at were:
Forest River: Surveyor 240RBS
Forest River: Surveyor 251RKS
Highland Ridge RV: Open Range Ultralite UT2604RB
Dutchman: Aerolite Zero Gravity 213RBSL
Forest River: Vibe 221RBSL

Keystone I looked at, but I met a couple of disgruntled owners at the show. So I got mixed feelings about them.
My goal is to find something thats reliable and trying to keep the price range under 25k
Thanks!
Hello and welcome. I have many years of experience with RVs but do not intend to imply that I know all one needs to know. I have however learned enough to make an educated judgement about them. Of coarse, my experience may differ from others so, that is my disclaimer.
First, your Tundra will comfortably tow any of the models you noted. Do yourself a favor and do some research on weight distribution hitches. For some reason, I've never seen an RV dealer set one up correctly. Properly set up means your front suspension is ladened to as close to what it was before you hook up the trailer. Measer the front wheel well before and after and get it back to less that one inch difference.
OK, now for trailers. Don't let anyone tell you that Keystone is any different Forest River. They are parent companies of multiple manufactures. ALL of the manufactures, ALL, use very young kids for labor to build RVs. Their will be one guy per shop who knows what is supposed to happen and none of them have a quality control plan. They just set their prices to let RV dealers fix anything that did not go right during assembly. All of them use the same two or three manufacture of component parts. Refrigerators, Furnaces, AC units, etc. What matters is, what size are you getting for your money.
There are some manufacturing materials that will matter. Generally speaking, the more you spend, the more you get. Aluminum siding or vacuum bonded fiberglass. Aluminum roof, rubber roof, of vacuum bonded one piece roof. The more you spend, the more you get. But, do you really need it? Also, remember, the more nicer stuff, cabinets and such, the more it weighs. More better insulation weighs more. Nicer cabinets and porcelain toilet weighs more than lesser cabinets and plastic toilet.
On price, 30% off retail is a starting point for negotiation a deal. And be warned, dealers and manufacturers will make up retail prices that make no sense what so ever so, compare apples to apples.
In the end, find the one that your wife likes, that meets your needs and keep arguing price till they squeal and buy it. Buy the one you like best.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdhugh For This Useful Post:
firerescue4 (02-29-2016), Marc32 (03-01-2016)
post #927 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhugh View Post
Hello and welcome. I have many years of experience with RVs but do not intend to imply that I know all one needs to know. I have however learned enough to make an educated judgement about them. Of coarse, my experience may differ from others so, that is my disclaimer.
First, your Tundra will comfortably tow any of the models you noted. Do yourself a favor and do some research on weight distribution hitches. For some reason, I've never seen an RV dealer set one up correctly. Properly set up means your front suspension is ladened to as close to what it was before you hook up the trailer. Measer the front wheel well before and after and get it back to less that one inch difference.
OK, now for trailers. Don't let anyone tell you that Keystone is any different Forest River. They are parent companies of multiple manufactures. ALL of the manufactures, ALL, use very young kids for labor to build RVs. Their will be one guy per shop who knows what is supposed to happen and none of them have a quality control plan. They just set their prices to let RV dealers fix anything that did not go right during assembly. All of them use the same two or three manufacture of component parts. Refrigerators, Furnaces, AC units, etc. What matters is, what size are you getting for your money.
There are some manufacturing materials that will matter. Generally speaking, the more you spend, the more you get. Aluminum siding or vacuum bonded fiberglass. Aluminum roof, rubber roof, of vacuum bonded one piece roof. The more you spend, the more you get. But, do you really need it? Also, remember, the more nicer stuff, cabinets and such, the more it weighs. More better insulation weighs more. Nicer cabinets and porcelain toilet weighs more than lesser cabinets and plastic toilet.
On price, 30% off retail is a starting point for negotiation a deal. And be warned, dealers and manufacturers will make up retail prices that make no sense what so ever so, compare apples to apples.
In the end, find the one that your wife likes, that meets your needs and keep arguing price till they squeal and buy it. Buy the one you like best.
Hello GdHugh, and thank you kindly for the response
I will heed your advice and track down weight distribution hitches.
Are their any particular brands to look for or they are pretty much equal across the board?

Quality control issue, I suspected as much, in particular when seeing the same appliance's across the range and they seem to copy each other.
I see most of these have options for a larger AC/furnace unit. Is that something that should be considered, or are there other options that makes more sense.
I did see different types of roofs, do rubber roofs hold well? Or do I need to look at different roof type?
The vacuum bonded fiberglass seemed to be more rigid and stable. More quiet within these units versus the aluminum siding ones.

Are there pros and cons to any of these? or is it just customer preference at this point?

I will be considering options for solar panels, because I really want to use this more off the grid. I see that most of these I'm guessing need to be hooked with site utilities or having a generator. Off site Im using a generator I use the Honda i2000. I'm guessing one is enough or do I need the second one to run the AC unit?

As far as picking one I got lucky, I got rid of the expensive ex wife. Girl friends can come and go. The only one I need to really take care of is my dog, he gets to travel.

2015 Tundra DC,SR5,TRD,5.7,Barcelona Red,4x4
2012 tundra DC, 4.6, (Passed on down the line)
Mods: bed liner, Bakflip g2,
2007 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4 EB (RIP)
2003 Ford F350 4x4/7.3 Diesel (RIP)
post #928 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Hello GdHugh, and thank you kindly for the response
I will heed your advice and track down weight distribution hitches.
Are their any particular brands to look for or they are pretty much equal across the board?

Quality control issue, I suspected as much, in particular when seeing the same appliance's across the range and they seem to copy each other.
I see most of these have options for a larger AC/furnace unit. Is that something that should be considered, or are there other options that makes more sense.
I did see different types of roofs, do rubber roofs hold well? Or do I need to look at different roof type?
The vacuum bonded fiberglass seemed to be more rigid and stable. More quiet within these units versus the aluminum siding ones.

Are there pros and cons to any of these? or is it just customer preference at this point?

I will be considering options for solar panels, because I really want to use this more off the grid. I see that most of these I'm guessing need to be hooked with site utilities or having a generator. Off site Im using a generator I use the Honda i2000. I'm guessing one is enough or do I need the second one to run the AC unit?

As far as picking one I got lucky, I got rid of the expensive ex wife. Girl friends can come and go. The only one I need to really take care of is my dog, he gets to travel.
Hey Marc, Don't bother with anything except an Equal-i-zer WDH they are the best on the market IMO. They have different sizes and weights depending on what size Travel Trailer you get.

Retired USAF

Texas Tundra Club #198
Tundra Campers Club #87
1998 Tacoma 4X4- Sold
2006 TRD Sr5 4X4- Sold
2010 Sr5 4x4- traded
The Following User Says Thank You to Misawagator For This Useful Post:
Marc32 (03-01-2016)
post #929 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

I hope to be helpful and not confusing as there are people who fnd different solutions to common issues. But for me...
I used an Equil-I-zer brand to start with just because I picked it up used at a great price. I was extremely happy with it's set up capability and how well it worked to resist sway. I only change to a Blue-Ox Sway pro because I needed more flexibility because my tongue weight can change dramatically with a toy hauler and it is very easy to adjust.
I suggest etrailers.com for lots of information and great prices.

Options for AC, furnace, frig, transformer, sizes vary. the less expensive units will typically have smaller appliances. You need to take notes because they all seem to run together after a while. I found one that seemed to have all the right stuff at the right price so I drove three hours to look at it and found everything was far and beyond what I had seen anywhere else at the same price point until I stated looking at cabinets and general construction was total crap. They were able to add some things by cutting corners elsewhere. You just have to find the right mix in a unit you really like.
As for roofs, most are going to be rubber which is fine. Fiberglass vacuum bonded is better but will only be found on a premium RV. The more you pay, the more you get but, only to a point an not always.
Vacuum bonded sidewalls are very common and used to suffer from blistering when moisture would get behind the laminate. They are much better today and many will offer specific extended warranty times just for the laminate to promote their improved processes. Aluminum walls are fine as is evident by the time they have been around. The only real problem is when they get a roof leak which goes down inside the wall for a long time and rots the wood. Otherwise, they tend to weight more than vacuum bonded.
You'll find some models come pre-wired for solar. Basic solar can charge your battery in good weather and really not much else. A solar charging system for long term dry camping is costly in terms of money and weight and can be very complex. Do your homework. Luckily, most newer RV use LED lighting so that helps alot. Do yourself a favor and buy 2 6volt golf cart batteries, either group 1 or group 2 and wire in series for enough 12volt for several days if your conservative.
Those Honda generators are wonderful. You will need two to run your AC for sure.
I remember being between wives and from that standpoint I will advise you to by exactly what you want. Don't settle for anything less than you absolutely have to.

Best of luck, David

The Following User Says Thank You to gdhugh For This Useful Post:
Marc32 (03-01-2016)
post #930 of 1299 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Depends on if you need it.. i.e. camping in the south during the Summer at a campground that has hookups, then you might want to consider a bigger AC unit.

Quote:

Everything has pros and cons. Aluminum siding is easier to replace a panel if it gets damaged than fiberglass, but "easier" is all relative. Aluminum siding never looks awesome in my opinion while fiberglass can look very nice, basically it's preference and cost. For the roofs, all of them are roughly the same stuff unless you fork over some serious coin.

Quote:
A Honda 2000 can run a 13K unit, but will have a hard time starting one. My Yamaha 2400iS can start my 13K unit, but not at first, I had to add a hard start capacitor (RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV). For off the grid, the first thing to worry about is batteries. Look at picking up 2 or 4 6v golf cart batteries.

- Ken

New England Tundra Club Member #41
Tundra Campers Club #22 - 2018 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2018 Tundra Platinum Crewmax, TRD swaybar, TRD Sport Shocks, Timbrens

The Following User Says Thank You to kpratte For This Useful Post:
Marc32 (03-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Tundra Clubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in