The fun begins....2017 Platinum in Silver Sky - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, may as well make good use of the downtime. Just sent my headlights off to Retrofit Wholesale. Leo has been fantastic and very responsive about answering my questions. Took me about 20 minutes to make the front of the truck look like this and about an hour to package the headlights up safely in the box that previously contained the one correct wheel I received. See? how's that for making lemonade out of lemons.

My VLEDs should be here tomorrow (I just got the reverse, cargo & license lights for now) and I ordered the Digital Guard Dawg iKey RS this afternoon with the OEM-style key fobs. DGD has gotten a great name for themselves on the motorcycle forums so I'm excited to give their product a try on my Tundra. For anyone else who's considering their setup, they have a few left at $349 off list price if you call them. I talked to Jeff. My kit with two upgraded key fobs and OE Lexus start button was $528 shipped. It configured at $877 on their website. That's too much for me to justify right now but $528 obviously wasn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0839.jpg (206.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0838.jpg (211.2 KB, 117 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Oh yeah, and I forgot I ordered seat heater retrofit kits from Sparks too. I guess it's been a pretty busy day after all.

Comfort Heat: Carbon Fiber Seat Heater : Sparks Toyota and Scion Parts - Genuine OEM - TRD Performance by TRDSparks.com

I'm going to attempt to make the rear seats heated so my poor, cold-butted kids can stop complaining about how mommy's car has them and daddy's doesn't.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
You add push button start to your truck?

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Sharp looking beast! Definitely want to see/hear how the DGD goes...

05 DC Limited
Phantom Grey Pearl
Window Tint Matches Rear
Drop in K&N Filter
Bilstein 5100's all around
Michelin LTX M/S2
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eledobleu View Post
You add push button start to your truck?
Yeah, my wife & I were first intro'd to the concept of keyless entry & push button start on our 2011 BMW X5. With the key in your pocket you walk up, touch the door handle to unlock it, climb in, push the button and drive off. Never have to take the key out of your pocket. It is an extremely convenient feature that I want to try to replicate on our Tundra. Another sweet feature I think really has a place on a pickup truck in particular is a 360 view camera. Our BMW has this feature too and it makes parking in tight spots extremely simple. You see a picture of the top of your car on the display and you can see everything around it on all sides. it has the usual backup cam in the tail gate of course and then two more in each side mirror and one more up front. Then there's a processor that stitches together the images from each camera into a full panoramic view. I have been developing some ideas to make this happen on my truck too but I'm not to the point of being confident enough yet to start buying anything and playing with it.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashRat View Post
Yeah, my wife & I were first intro'd to the concept of keyless entry & push button start on our 2011 BMW X5. With the key in your pocket you walk up, touch the door handle to unlock it, climb in, push the button and drive off. Never have to take the key out of your pocket. It is an extremely convenient feature that I want to try to replicate on our Tundra. Another sweet feature I think really has a place on a pickup truck in particular is a 360 view camera. Our BMW has this feature too and it makes parking in tight spots extremely simple. You see a picture of the top of your car on the display and you can see everything around it on all sides. it has the usual backup cam in the tail gate of course and then two more in each side mirror and one more up front. Then there's a processor that stitches together the images from each camera into a full panoramic view. I have been developing some ideas to make this happen on my truck too but I'm not to the point of being confident enough yet to start buying anything and playing with it.
Can I send you my truck so you can add these things on mine
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eledobleu View Post
Can I send you my truck so you can add these things on mine
Lol well seeing as how the camera idea has barely even made it to the white paper stage your truck might be sitting here for a while before I get it right.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrashRat For This Useful Post:
Av8torT (11-22-2016)
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Leo (Eledobleu) just sent me pics of my completed lights! Can't wait. They look beautiful. I had him finish them out with a more OEM look to begin with but since he replaces the permaseal with butyl I may take them apart later and black them out. I opted to not black them out without seeing them on the truck first though.

Also getting pretty deep into my electrical mods, so far just getting all the pieces pulled out of my way so I can get in there with my probe and the electrical diagrams that other TT users were so kind to post for download.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161122_125202.jpg (214.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 20161122_125211.jpg (212.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20161122_125205.jpg (211.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20161122_125208.jpg (202.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0862.jpg (194.8 KB, 89 views)
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Been a few days since I've reported any progress but there's been plenty more to do while I'm still waiting for my headlights and three replacement wheels. Here are some pics of my rear heated seat install. I couldn't find the right type of hog rings locally so I had to order. They'll be here on Monday, then I can finish putting the seats back together & get them back in the truck. The seat heaters are Katzkin brand, sold by Sparks for $55/set. Excellent quality. I put the heater buttons in the rear console next to the 12v power outlet and ran the power leads up to the front of the console. I haven't decided where exactly I'll put it yet but the idea is to put a master switch up front somewhere that I can turn them on or off with. This will keep them from getting left on indefinitely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0932.jpg (206.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0924.jpg (203.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0925.jpg (195.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0931.jpg (197.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0930.jpg (196.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0889.jpg (194.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0887.jpg (191.8 KB, 99 views)
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I've also made a fair bit of progress on my Digital Guard Dawg system. I figure I'm probably about 70% of the way to a completed install. I'm very pleased with the quality of this system and the level of documentation it comes with. I also bought a Flash Logic data interface module from a local Car Toys to make things simpler. The FLCAN module connects to the onboard CANBUS and Immo Data systems to provide key bypass (no donor key or ignition cylinder loop needed), status outputs for brake+, tach, and door trigger, and inputs to activate lock/unlock/arm/disarm from the iKey control module outputs. This saves a lot of time hunting down various connectors and pin #'s and allows you to assemble much of the wiring harness on your workbench where you can see everything and triple-check your work easier instead of trying to do it all under the dash while standing on your head. It was $69 + $20 to program to my application. Well worth it for the time and aggravation saved. I'll also say that the key fobs are pretty factory-like in their feel and appearance. I'm very glad I upgraded to this style. Hoping everything works as planned once I finish getting all these silly wires tapped in to where they need to go. There are two more wiring harnesses not pictured here btw because they're already in the truck. I'd say this mod is definitely not for somebody who isn't comfortable with their ability to track a schematic and understand how car electrical systems work. I've always done my own alarm/stereo installs and that practice really helps. This is probably the 6th or 7th I've done in my 20 years of driving.

For anyone who's interested in this same system they had a few left for $349 off if you call them. The full retail price of the system I received was $877 as-configured with passive keyless entry, push button start and remote start, and upgrading to two OEM-style key fobs. With the discount however I only paid $528 shipped. I will also be preparing a wiring key and posting that once I'm done so anyone else who wants to do this mod shouldn't have so much work ahead of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0877.jpg (197.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0934.jpg (204.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0935.jpg (200.0 KB, 87 views)
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Sweet build. I just received my kit from Digital guard dawg. I'm curious as to what you think of them once the install is complete. I tried getting it professionally installed and none wanted to take on that job for some reason. I don't think I want to try it myself either. Where did you end up installing the push button? I opted for the slim line Lexus one and was thinking of covering the existing ignition. Also, please let me know what you did with the shaved key or whatever to bypass the steering lock. Thanks and good luck with the rest of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks! I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with the push button. I got the slimline Lexus button too but I'm a bigger fan of mounting it somewhere on the dash itself so it's easier to visually monitor the LED status. I'll keep you posted once I decide where to put it.

As far as the install goes, I can totally understand why a shop wouldn't want to put this in for you. It's not that there's anything wrong with the kit or the instructions but the drive-it-in, drive-it-out-in-an-hour world of install shops is dominated by the one size fits all options of DEI and FlashLogic. There are a lot of user-configurable choices to make with the DGD system including output connections & jumper settings, on top of the manufacturer itself being somewhat new to the industry & unproven (even though they have an outstanding reputation amongst the motorcycle guys). So since the shop would be on the hook for fixing or changing anything that wasn't operating the way you wanted it to, it's a lot easier for them to say no to the job instead of taking on that political liability. From their perspective, they're worrying about the customer going online & posting bad reviews all over the place, telling everyone how they screwed up your truck. My reason for always wanting to do this type of work on my own though is because I don't like trusting my rig's electronics to a guy whose compensation is tied to how fast he can pull it back out of the install bay. I'd rather have all my connections soldered, my wires bundled, routed along or through factory wiring paths whenever possible, etc.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've worked on the tundra head unit before and I'm not a stranger to wiring. On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult do you think this job is for me? The shaved key thing is still vague to me. Could you tell me what you plan on doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No problem. Just sent you a PM. LMK if you have any questions and I'll take a picture. I'm down to just having my 12V constant connections left now so hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday I'll be able to update with my results, good bad or otherwise.

btw, I also forgot to mention that my three replacement wheels showed up yesterday and would you believe they sent me three more 8 lug versions just like last time??? All packaged up in boxes marked 5x150.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm extremely pleased to report that this massive pile of wires and boxes cascading from the dash of my truck just started my rig for me with the push button first try. I have to get in for dinner now but wanted to share the great news.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0953.jpg (194.4 KB, 96 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to CrashRat For This Useful Post:
Jon Heaberlin (12-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Build Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in