Papasmurf's Expo Build Thread - Page 8 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Thanks! yeah its annoying i wish there was a better platform that didnt rip you off for hosting .. and you coming to Tundras to Sedona?
Unfortunately no... I'm using up all my vacation in the next few weeks for a trip to the Galapagos Islands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic City Tundra View Post
Most browsers have an add-on now that fixes the problem. Just google "<browser name> photobucket fix" and download the add-on.
Awesome.... It seemed to work for about 75% of the pics.
I can see!! I can see!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DividedSky For This Useful Post:
papasmurf (03-09-2018)
post #108 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgp...&feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Silver Sky Club Member #66, BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #96

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #109 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sooooooo... here is the recent updates..

Moved On board air.... reduced complexity, single compressor with one output , will add back distro block once i have locker installed. See pic for compressor location

Moved and simplified On board water. See pic for pump location.

Removed bed sides, and installed Advanced Fiberglass Bedsides 4 inch flare 2 inch rise

Modified RTT rack to work with fiberglass bedsides and added factory inside bed rails for securing RTT

Now for the pics... more coming soon in the next few weeks!~

lines drawn where to cut...

getting ready to make the first cut, no turning back now

and one side done

other side done

test fitting the bed sides

ahhhh looks wider and better IMO

all glued up.. yes i said glued.. uses a two part epoxy recommended by advanced on how to install the bed sides (its how they do it)

here is the epoxy and gun required for it

On board water pump mounted under the bed side with stainless steel hardware and rubber isolators

on board air compressor on the other side...

bed sides done and trimmed at the bottom for better departure angle on tech trails.. and added reinforcement at the bottom as well.. and mocked up with the bed rack..

Anyway thats it for now... more coming soon! Stay tuned...

07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |

Last edited by papasmurf; 04-04-2018 at 03:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to papasmurf For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (04-04-2018)
post #110 of 120 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Rack over Softtopper

Would you be or know anyone interested in helping me find a rack to go over my soft topper?
post #111 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Been a while since i updated here...

So here is the truck as she sits now....

i also completed the 38 gal tank swap a few months ago.

Now im starting the LT rear build with the following parts

Camburg Bed Cage
3.0 King 16" triple Bypass shocks
2.0 King Bumps
Camburg Bump mounts
Custom SUA Deavers
Camburg SUA LT Shackles
TC lower shock mounts
Kartek axle bump pad

so Day 3 LT install update....

Day 1 - it was 103 by noon, and I had stuff to do in the morning so no progress made :sadviolin:

Day 2 - got to work by 7:30 had a 60-minute break at 9 am to get stuff at home depot

work completed - Deaver bushings replaced
Bumps and Bypasses taped and prepped for install
Preliminary bed cage measurement and placement work done

Here is the table of goodies ready to get installed

Day 3 - Confirmation this morning with Camburg on bed cage bolt hole locations, this was holding me back yesterday from cutting into the bed because I was unsure on the bolt hole alignment, the holes are smaller than the bolts so you have to drill them out to fit. I will post pics and a complete install thread once everything is done so everyone can learn from my install. Camburg does not have an install guide like TC has for their rear kit so I'm going to make one.

I will have more progress tonight, I will be getting the bed installed today I hope then the rest of the week will be leaf spring placement and perch install.

That is all for now.. stay tuned

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papasmurf For This Useful Post:
Desert Dawg (09-22-2018), Dragos28 (09-10-2018)
post #112 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Can you share info on the tank?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2011 Rock Warrior, Crew Max
Build Thread:
The Following User Says Thank You to MrLukie For This Useful Post:
papasmurf (09-11-2018)
post #113 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLukie View Post
Can you share info on the tank?

https://www.tundras.com/threads/07-1...-thread.27144/

check that thread

The Following User Says Thank You to papasmurf For This Useful Post:
MrLukie (09-11-2018)
post #114 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Great write up! Thank you. I'm in SD as well. I may hit you up if I decide to go this route if that's ok with you.

Also, how has your experience with Camburg been?
Quote:

Build Thread:
papasmurf (09-12-2018)
post #115 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Great write up! Thank you. I'm in SD as well. I may hit you up if I decide to go this route if that's ok with you.

Also, how has your experience with Camburg been?

oh no shit in SD as well, thats aweomse yeah hit me up i can help you with the swap.. i have the knowledge and tools to do it... will be much quicker the second or third time. LOL

Camburg has been very helpful and great thus far, just like TC i love both companies, I wish TC made a bolt in bed cage, that was the only reason my rear is camburg. I wanted to build it all myself.

Anyway let me know if you have questions. and shoot me a pm with your cell and ill hit you up.

post #116 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Sounds good @papasmurf . I'm thinking of going with the boxed Camburg UCA and Fox 2.5. I originally purchased TC UCA and Fox through Pelfreybilt, but they disappeared with my money. I'm sure you've heard the drama. Anyway, it'll be a little bit before I'm ready to purchase suspension parts again.
Quote:
oh no shit in SD as well, thats aweomse yeah hit me up i can help you with the swap.. i have the knowledge and tools to do it... will be much quicker the second or third time. LOL

Camburg has been very helpful and great thus far, just like TC i love both companies, I wish TC made a bolt in bed cage, that was the only reason my rear is camburg. I wanted to build it all myself.

Anyway let me know if you have questions. and shoot me a pm with your cell and ill hit you up.

Build Thread:
papasmurf (09-12-2018)
post #117 of 120 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sounds good @papasmurf . I'm thinking of going with the boxed Camburg UCA and Fox 2.5. I originally purchased TC UCA and Fox through Pelfreybilt, but they disappeared with my money. I'm sure you've heard the drama. Anyway, it'll be a little bit before I'm ready to purchase suspension parts again.

Yeah very aware of that situation. Just make sure you tell you cc company that the company went tits up and you are challenging the charge. let them go after them for the $.

That does suck though. there are a lot of other vendors i can suggest that will give you much better service.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papasmurf For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (09-12-2018), MrLukie (09-12-2018)
post #118 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ok so some updates kids, since its been a while its going to be big and long...

4.88 nitro gears and arb rear locker are now installed and the truck feels great.... but ran into a little issue with my coil overs.

Took a hard hit in Tundras to sedona and blew a coil over and fatigued a coil, so i knew the fronts were too soft, 600 lb springs are not enough for my style, so upgraded to a 700lb spring like @osidepunker but the king LT coils use a weird chevy spring not a 3.0 spring like all the other King products so I had Micha at Down South Motorsports rebuild my coilovers and swap my top hat and adjustment collar to a 3.0 style with a standard 700lb 3.0 coil spring. So now the truck is getting an alignment ... again, to make sure the truck is sitting level and straight with the new coil over setup, i also had him open up one of the blocked bleed valves for more flow in the coil over to soften the ride a bit on the little choppy stuff and on the street.

you can see the diff in springs and adjustment collar, interesting the smaller spring is stiffer. Also with the narrower spring there is more room next to the tie rod, which i know people have had issues with rubbing.

Already feels night and day better.

Also finished the 38 gal tank swap.. so thats done now.

I also have all my new lights and LT rear parts in the garage awaiting install in july. I cant wait to get that done

here is the link to the 38 gal tank swap

https://www.tundras.com/threads/07-1...-thread.27144/

its sooo much bigger ( LOL thats what she said)

Ok LT update 2

Some decent progress made till I broke two hole saw bits and my only jigsaw metal blade so Iíll get replacements tomorrow...

So confirmed w camburg the holes to use so I figured out the center point of them on the frame (see picture) and drilled a pilot hole, so I know where to put my template for the bigger hole.

Those holes in the frame need to be 1/2Ē-9/16Ē to fit the 1/2Ē bolts... I used a step bit which made it very easy

Once I did that I drilled the corners w a 1Ē hole saw, then followed my lines w the jigsaw

Once I got those in their holes and positioned on the frame I was able to outline the rear supportís and start cutting those out in the same way, sadly thatís when I broke two hole saws and the jigsaw blade....

OK so update 3...

@jc153 came over and gave me a hand and we made great progress. Im a little short on pics as i was trying to get through this step, but i can add more later

First I finished off the cage install

got the last two bed holes cut and place the cage in and marked the holes ontop of the frame for drilling..
Then temp bolted the cage in. Im still waiting on the material to trim the hole edges.

Out with the old shocks and leafs

Im short on pics from here, but i cut off the old lower shock mounts and ground down and prepped the axle housing for the leaf spring perch, once that was done we mounted the new SUA leafs and shackles. temporarly mounting the up with the spring plates. and lowered the truck back down onto the wheels. So this is where it sit currently. The height is great and holy down travel.. when it was on the jack stands there was 16" of droop from the factory bump mount to the axle housing.

i still have to do the following steps, and cant do shit this week cause i am watching my god kids all week while mom and dad are in alaska
  1. set pinion angle
  2. tack weld leaf spring perch
  3. cut shock pass through in bed
  4. cut out old upper shock mount and bump mount
  5. install new bump mount
  6. uninstall leafs
  7. strip leafs to the main leaf
  8. re-install the main leaf
  9. mount shocks
  10. tack weld in lower shock mounts
  11. cycle suspension
  12. figure out where i fu#ked something up
  13. fix whatever it was i fu$ked up
  14. cycle again for bump placement
  15. once everything is good to go strip everything off
  16. finish weld everything
  17. paint everything
  18. put leafs back together
  19. reinstall everything
  20. hope and pray nothing breaks

Okie dokie update 4.. so i pulled my back muscles last week so was still in pain saturday, but sunday was feeling better so made a little progress...

got my new high clearance leaf spring plates

had to do the final welding on them...

then finally got the correct rubber trim for openings in the bed so installed that and mounted the cage

then worked on cutting off the factory upper shock mounts and bump mounts

soooo much down travel LOL

thats it for now, this week gonna cut holes for shocks, get them trimmed out, mount bump mounts and hopefully get leaf spring mounts tack welded in and pinion angle set.. we will see how this afternoon goes.

update 5....

Got the frame cleaned up , and bed cage is now fully bolted in to the frame.

Finished grinding and cutting off both upper shock mounts. That took some work!!

Got both sides painted...

Got the lower spring perches fitted

Took a little grinding to get them to sit almost straight .. once I get the truck back on itís wheels Friday I will set the pinion angle and tack weld them in place then break everything down and weld them in completely... this weekend my goal is cut holes in bed for shocks, mount shocks, and work on lower shock mounts. After I tear down the leaf packs to two main leafs for cycling. As well as mounting bumps and guesseting the leaf spring mounting plates.

I ran out of light and steam.

update 6

Made good progress.

Had two buddie came over and helped me Saturday morning.

We got the holes in the bed cut for the shocks. We got the pinion angle set and tack welded in the leaf spring mounts.

then broke down the leafs and remounted just the main two leafs

working on the lower shock mounts this week.

Ran into an issue with the Camburg bump mounts. Basically their mounts they sold me limit up travel...

If you see in this pic

the bump mount alone is 2-3" lower than the bottom of the shock body... however if you look at this pic of the bump mount on their LT tundra its much higher and flush with the frame allowing full uptravel.

so basically I'm left with making my own using Kartek bump mount parts and returning these or, modifying these and making them work. But the cost of modifying these seems silly since they are 400$+ I can just return them and buy 100$ or less of material and do it my self. I'm starting to think that is the better option.

Let me know your thoughts.

Either way should have the lower shock mounts done today or by Wednesday and start to button up everything. Although the bump mounts will slow me down from putting the leafs back together at this point at least for a few more days.

yeah sopke with camburg again via email. And because Im running kings, i need top buy these now and make my own. So thats what it sounds like ill be doing...

https://www.kartek.com/mm5/merchant....ode=kng-bs2021

I already have plate steel and dimple die plate sitting around, so ill just make my own. Positioning them will be a little more work only because i dont have the ability to adjust the bump height once the mount is in place so i have to be very sure about placement. BUt i think you are correct and i will need to just make my own. Oh well. Thus is life.

LOL
Ok so here is where we are at for now. I talked to @Bo-Hunter and @osidepunker about the process for cycling rear leaf long travel setups, and here is what is basically the process.

your spring and shackle along with their movement are what determines your travel.

So when setting your bump height, it should be done without your shocks and with the nitrogen let out of the bump so it can get to full compression. T Your limiting strap is set when you are at full droop, and your rear shackle is just shy of 90 degrees from a line drawn from the center of your front spring mounting bolt to the center of the rear mounting bolt that attaches the shackle to the frame.
For setting droop.
I used a piece of 1Ē heavy duty painters tape to do this. Because the Camburg shackle has a dogleg shape to it, I also ran a piece of tape between the bolt going to the frame and the bolt on the spring side ( see attached drawing).

Keep in mind the strap is going to stretch a little, some manufacturers more than others.

I mounted the lower tab for the limit strap to the axle

And the upper mount thankfully had a great spot on my 1.25" DOM crossbar that holds my battery box to the frame. So that was a good spot for it

you can see it in the upper left of this pic.

The compressed bump height is set when your mainspring is almost flat.

Once I got that part figured out, I started on the bump mount. I have a piece of flat stock that the can is welded to. Then reinforced with dimple die pressed plate i have for another project.

once those were tacked up, I checked fitment and fully welded them in and tacked them onto the frame

For the lower shock mounts

The primary starting point is to set the truck at ride height have the lower shock tabs parallel to the deck, this allows for the movement of the axle equally, like your pinion angle. Every truck is different, so again this is a starting point, not an exact science. However, for me, this is where I started to run into some issues...
Keep in mind that cage is designed for stock I96 packs and thatís not what I have, my pack is a custom SUA spring pack.

But mainly in this pic where I set the suspension to full droop then left 1/2 inch of shock rod remaining in the shock body, I tack welded the mounts and then fully compressed the suspension. Yeilding over 3-4"'s of shock shaft remaining at full stuff. The issue is I'm not fully engaging the bump zone on the shock. Now I can leave 1" of the shaft in the body at droop to account for limit strap stretch which is safe and a good idea (talked to a buddy who builds 6100 trucks), but on the bump, I need to have more shaft inside.

SOOOO what are my options, well I can and will rotate the lower shock mount up towards the bed more which will net about an inch more shaft in the shock at bump which is good, but I still have to make up some more distance. I could lower the shock, but this would force me to modify the bed cage, and I'm trying to avoid that so the simple answer revealed itself to me on some pondering over a whiskey and chatting with @Bo-Hunter ... Longer rod ends.

So I ordered a pair of 2" and 3" longer rod ends from DSM. Hoping that will help me resolve this. Once I get the lower shock mount in place and cycling correctly, I will tear everything down. Finish weld all the mounts and brackets like brake line brackets etc. Then paint and reassemble.

Making good progress just got held up a bit.

Almost done!!

I swapped out the rod ends on the shocks

Saturday was able to rebuild the leafs w all new hardware

Fixed up my janky exhaust tips to point somewhat down and to passenger side

Then finish welded everything , painted and reinstalled everything!

Today (Sunday) I installed new brake lines and reattached hard lines and sensor wires... started to bleed brakes but have to go to my god daughters birthday party...so only thing left is finish brake bleeding, pressurize shocks and bumps and install wheels and clean everything up. Then mount my bumper. And Iím all done!! Should be back on the road by Wednesday!!

Rear LT Build is done...

sorry for the dark photos it was late when I finally got the wheels on and sitting on its own.

Still doing more work

Mounting rear bumper
Installing new BD chase lights
Installing new grill (see pic below)
Installing all new BD front lights
Installing new Headlights and tail lights (see pic below)

and a few little odds and ends

Anyway, here she is sitting on her own.

The tail lights you can see in the pics but here is what they look like from the site I ordered

and the headlights are these

And this is a pic of the grill idea, not a picture of my grill... but I'm doing the same thing.. with the OG FJ Toyota badge and everything

gonna give the truck a nice fresh new look!

post #119 of 120 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Headlights all done, just waiting on led bulbs for high and low beam the halogen look like shit!

Tail lights

And here is the grill

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to papasmurf For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (10-25-2018), MrLukie (11-13-2018), Trailmoose (10-25-2018)
post #120 of 120 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 01:31 AM

I like the "TOYOTA" GRILL
Quote:
Headlights all done, just waiting on led bulbs for high and low beam the halogen look like shit!

Tail lights

And here is the grill

Build Thread:
papasmurf (01-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Build Logs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in