User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Backup camera wiring

I installed an aftermarket backup camera and the OEM LCD overhead monitor connected to the OEM harness. My 2010 SR5 crewmax is prewired. Now I installed an aftermarket radio with LCD, how can I connect the backup camera to appear on the headunit’s LCD? Is my truck prewired on the headunit area? Please help.

pedro
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just installed a Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit in my 2010 SR5 CrewMax and went with this backup camera from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It turned out really good and looks factory. It went pretty smooth overall, but removing the dash glovebox area was a pain. If you decide to go this way let me know if you need help.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro View Post
I installed an aftermarket backup camera and the OEM LCD overhead monitor connected to the OEM harness. My 2010 SR5 crewmax is prewired. Now I installed an aftermarket radio with LCD, how can I connect the backup camera to appear on the headunitís LCD? Is my truck prewired on the headunit area? Please help.
I just re-read this and realized you installed the backup camera into the OEM harness. I believe the wiring for the OEM harness will end up being in your overhead area by the review mirror vs. the back of the head unit area. I don't think you can use that wiring for your aftermarket head unit, but perhaps someone else can chime in.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2O1OTundra For This Useful Post:
pedro (12-09-2018)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O1OTundra View Post
I just re-read this and realized you installed the backup camera into the OEM harness. I believe the wiring for the OEM harness will end up being in your overhead area by the review mirror vs. the back of the head unit area. I don't think you can use that wiring for your aftermarket head unit, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Thanks... I am hoping there is a place somewhere I can pull a video signal from the camera that is near the head unitís vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro View Post
Thanks... I am hoping there is a place somewhere I can pull a video signal from the camera that is near the head unitís vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there isnt. cut the end off of an rca, solder it to the video + and - at the upper console and run it down with your microphone wire.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the insight. I had the same question....I think I might run a new wire from the camera in this case.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I just installed a Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit in my 2010 SR5 CrewMax and went with this backup camera from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It turned out really good and looks factory. It went pretty smooth overall, but removing the dash glovebox area was a pain. If you decide to go this way let me know if you need help.
This is exactly what I intend to do on my 2007 SR5 Crewmax. I have a few questions:

Where did you tie in the 12V reverse power source and ground for the camera?
How/where did you run the video cable from the camera to the head unit?
Does the camera come with cable routing/wiring instructions specific to the Tundra?
Any special care needed when installing the tailgate handle?

Thanks.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Milani View Post
This is exactly what I intend to do on my 2007 SR5 Crewmax. I have a few questions:

Where did you tie in the 12V reverse power source and ground for the camera?
How/where did you run the video cable from the camera to the head unit?
Does the camera come with cable routing/wiring instructions specific to the Tundra?
Any special care needed when installing the tailgate handle?

Thanks.
I ran the 12v and ground wires from the backup camera to the passenger side reverse/backup light and tapped into its 12v and ground using T Taps like these on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YB123S...v_ov_lig_dp_it. I then wrapped up the wires as clean as possible to keep moisture out and zip tied off the extra wire.

I ran the shielded RCA cable up along the passenger side frame of the truck and zip tied it every few feet. Once you get to the truck cabin area you will see several rubber grommets that will let you bring it up into the truck cabin. I just drilled a small hole in the grommet and pushed the RCA cable through. If you pull up the door sill plate you can access the RCA cable from under the carpet and pull it through. I then ran it up under the passenger side kick panel - up through the dash into the back of the radio.

It has some instructions, but its a pretty strait forward job. The camera itself has guide lines built in. If you dont want to use it and go with the head unit guide lines you will need to cut the small diameter white and blue wire near the camera. That will be in the instructions supplied with the unit.

The tailgate handle install is pretty strait forward. I did use re-use the factory ring that holds the lock in place. The one thats supplied with the new handle is a little flimsy.

In all it probably took me an hour and half to install the camera. Hopefully this helps, but if you need more just let me know.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I ran the 12v and ground wires from the backup camera to the passenger side reverse/backup light and tapped into its 12v and ground using T Taps like these on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YB123S...v_ov_lig_dp_it. I then wrapped up the wires as clean as possible to keep moisture out and zip tied off the extra wire.

I ran the shielded RCA cable up along the passenger side frame of the truck and zip tied it every few feet. Once you get to the truck cabin area you will see several rubber grommets that will let you bring it up into the truck cabin. I just drilled a small hole in the grommet and pushed the RCA cable through. If you pull up the door sill plate you can access the RCA cable from under the carpet and pull it through. I then ran it up under the passenger side kick panel - up through the dash into the back of the radio.

It has some instructions, but its a pretty strait forward job. The camera itself has guide lines built in. If you dont want to use it and go with the head unit guide lines you will need to cut the small diameter white and blue wire near the camera. That will be in the instructions supplied with the unit.

The tailgate handle install is pretty strait forward. I did use re-use the factory ring that holds the lock in place. The one thats supplied with the new handle is a little flimsy.

In all it probably took me an hour and half to install the camera. Hopefully this helps, but if you need more just let me know.

This is excellent information. I have things on order so I hope to have a chance to give it a go over the holidays. Thanks.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey bud, can you help me out? Not trying to highjack this thread but I don't want to start a new thread asking the same questions.

I bought the exact backup camera for my 07 CM with a Hizpo head unit. I can't figure out how to wire in the backup camera. I tapped the red wire from the cam to the driver side reverse light and put black to ground, then I plugged in the yellow RCA to the RCA on the head unit but nothing comes on when I put the truck in reverse. I read online that I need a step down converter. Is that correct?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414tundra View Post
Hey bud, can you help me out? Not trying to highjack this thread but I don't want to start a new thread asking the same questions.

I bought the exact backup camera for my 07 CM with a Hizpo head unit. I can't figure out how to wire in the backup camera. I tapped the red wire from the cam to the driver side reverse light and put black to ground, then I plugged in the yellow RCA to the RCA on the head unit but nothing comes on when I put the truck in reverse. I read online that I need a step down converter. Is that correct?
You may need a wire at the head unit to tell it to switch to the camera when in reverse.

I added this camera to mine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a Kenwood HU. I had to get power on a wire at the back of the head unit when in reverse and turn the setting for the automatic switch to backup camera on.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Do you have a wire labeled "reverse" or something like it out of the back of the Hizpo unit? If so you need use that and tap into the reverse wire on the passenger side kick panel. That way when you put the truck in reverse the head unit will know to display the camera view. I'll try to take a picture tonight and show you what wire to tap into.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Do you have a wire labeled "reverse" or something like it out of the back of the Hizpo unit? If so you need use that and tap into the reverse wire on the passenger side kick panel. That way when you put the truck in reverse the head unit will know to display the camera view. I'll try to take a picture tonight and show you what wire to tap into.
There are no wires labeled reverse. The seller sent me a picture showing the color code for reverse. So let me see if I got this right.
The red and black from the camera can be t-tap onto the wires from the reverse light. Connect the RCA cables from the camera to the unit. Take a new wire and tap the reverse wire from the unit and tap into the reverse wire by the passenger kick panel. Does this sound correct?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
There are no wires labeled reverse. The seller sent me a picture showing the color code for reverse. So let me see if I got this right.
The red and black from the camera can be t-tap onto the wires from the reverse light. Connect the RCA cables from the camera to the unit. Take a new wire and tap the reverse wire from the unit and tap into the reverse wire by the passenger kick panel. Does this sound correct?
Yep...exactly.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:46 PM

Thanks for confirming. I will wait for your picture to make sure that I tap the correct wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in