LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
taco tune install info

Guys,

Has anyone used Taco Tunes in San Antonio for their sound system install before. If so, how was their service and workmanship. Also would you have any pics you could share. Im thinking of using them so it would be helpful.

Thanks

2018 Toyota Trd Black 4x4 6in pro comp lift
2013 Bmw M5 White, Rpi downpipes, Rpi Straight pipes, Kwv3 coilovers, Hcp Tune. KN air filter
2010 Mazda 6 Black
2007 Gmc Yukon Blue Lowered, Kn air filter, magnaflow catback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ill answer my own question in the morning as I will have their sq1 installed by them. Then when I arrive back to Houston, I will provide everyone a review on my experience with the company and review with the equipment.

2013 Bmw M5 White, Rpi downpipes, Rpi Straight pipes, Kwv3 coilovers, Hcp Tune. KN air filter
2010 Mazda 6 Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm here now and the guys have started working on the truck. I'll report back later today. Expecting a good job. All the guys I met are nice.

2010 Mazda 6 Black

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtrippin View Post
I'm here now and the guys have started working on the truck. I'll report back later today. Expecting a good job. All the guys I met are nice.
Iím axiously awaiting your report. Was your base system JBL?

2018 Silver Sky Metalic 1794 Tundra | 4x4 TRD Package | TRD Stainless Twin Exhausts & Volant COI | Iron Cross Patriot Stainless RB | Copper Accents | Beatsonic iPhone Mirroring and Front Cam kit | Wireless Armrest Phone Charger | Tacotunes SQ1 . . . Yes it is sweet!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No Man148 I have a non jbl. I arrived about 930 and they got me right in and within 10 minutes they started working on my truck installing the sq1 system. First everyone that works there were really nice. Whoever I asked a question to it was answered fully. As the guys worked, Rob came out and I talked to him for about 40 minutes straight. He's a stand up guy and after talking to him, I glad I took my truck to his place of business. He built his company and it is going to do very well. I did find out that the videos that we all watch, most of them are out of date so the way they wire things up aren't the same. Its easier for them I guess because the installer who was on the vid was not working there at that time. Two guys worked on my truck and both know what they were doing. Kwell guys I may say. They matted up all the doors and back window area and installed the speakers. (On the way home I was trying to see if it held off on some of the road noise, but I couldn't tell) Note:::lol they installed one front speaker and started playing music. It sounded way better than the whole stock system. Crazy right. At some point I pulled out my drone and started flying it so I didn't see them install and tune the amps and recurve. I think the recurve could use more tweaking but that me. I saw everything else though but they said they did tune it. Quality wise of the install Id say they did a good job. Way better than the last guy that ****ed up my Yukon. Plug and play wire harness is the way to go. When they connected up the thumpers I got real happy. It will pound now. I got two 12's so that will be expected. I told them my main concern was quality of install, quality sound, then will it hit like its supposed to. It does sound way better than stock. They advised me to not turn it up past 50 and to always make sure that the eq is in its middle place each time I change from radio to ipod etc. Overall Im satisfied and will return for repeat work on another car. On the way back to Houston I had a chance to listen to all kinds of music. As you know some songs base sucks and some rocks. You will find yourself using the sub knob to adjust to your liking. Music wise the image dynamics are sound really good and look quality. The sq1 system will hit hard using the 12's. I think you guys will be pleased if you buy this. like everyone said I found early that the weak link is the head unit. They suck wet donkey nuts. Id rather buy a system from from a nice crew that does good work and stands by their product. Rob will stand by his product and that's what I learned while I was there. There are lots of companies that can do the same thing. I finally choose to use taco tune since its only 3 hours away from my house and my local installer said he couldn't spend the day doing this. Don't get discourage if they don't pick up the phone if you try to call. If you go to their chat like I did, Daniel will answer all your questions. Its not cheap either so be prepared. 2199 for sq1 doesn't include system install fee, sound dead mat and mat install fee and then add tax. But if you want a nice sounding system your not going to think about the price because I know other places that can do cheaper work and charge more. Im satisfied with everything they did so thank you Taco Tunes for making my truck sound way better. I will send my buddy there so they can fix up his supra. Note:::bring your own lunch and drinks because your way way out in the country unless you get a uber to pick you up. Im serious about that. I hope this helps you guys out. I know it sounds boring but Im sleepy while typing this.

Cheers

2010 Mazda 6 Black

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 12:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtrippin View Post
No Man148 I have a non jbl. I arrived about 930 and they got me right in and within 10 minutes they started working on my truck installing the sq1 system. First everyone that works there were really nice. Whoever I asked a question to it was answered fully. As the guys worked, Rob came out and I talked to him for about 40 minutes straight. He's a stand up guy and after talking to him, I glad I took my truck to his place of business. He built his company and it is going to do very well. I did find out that the videos that we all watch, most of them are out of date so the way they wire things up aren't the same. Its easier for them I guess because the installer who was on the vid was not working there at that time. Two guys worked on my truck and both know what they were doing. Kwell guys I may say. They matted up all the doors and back window area and installed the speakers. (On the way home I was trying to see if it held off on some of the road noise, but I couldn't tell) Note:::lol they installed one front speaker and started playing music. It sounded way better than the whole stock system. Crazy right. At some point I pulled out my drone and started flying it so I didn't see them install and tune the amps and recurve. I think the recurve could use more tweaking but that me. I saw everything else though but they said they did tune it. Quality wise of the install Id say they did a good job. Way better than the last guy that ****ed up my Yukon. Plug and play wire harness is the way to go. When they connected up the thumpers I got real happy. It will pound now. I got two 12's so that will be expected. I told them my main concern was quality of install, quality sound, then will it hit like its supposed to. It does sound way better than stock. They advised me to not turn it up past 50 and to always make sure that the eq is in its middle place each time I change from radio to ipod etc. Overall Im satisfied and will return for repeat work on another car. On the way back to Houston I had a chance to listen to all kinds of music. As you know some songs base sucks and some rocks. You will find yourself using the sub knob to adjust to your liking. Music wise the image dynamics are sound really good and look quality. The sq1 system will hit hard using the 12's. I think you guys will be pleased if you buy this. like everyone said I found early that the weak link is the head unit. They suck wet donkey nuts. Id rather buy a system from from a nice crew that does good work and stands by their product. Rob will stand by his product and that's what I learned while I was there. There are lots of companies that can do the same thing. I finally choose to use taco tune since its only 3 hours away from my house and my local installer said he couldn't spend the day doing this. Don't get discourage if they don't pick up the phone if you try to call. If you go to their chat like I did, Daniel will answer all your questions. Its not cheap either so be prepared. 2199 for sq1 doesn't include system install fee, sound dead mat and mat install fee and then add tax. But if you want a nice sounding system your not going to think about the price because I know other places that can do cheaper work and charge more. Im satisfied with everything they did so thank you Taco Tunes for making my truck sound way better. I will send my buddy there so they can fix up his supra. Note:::bring your own lunch and drinks because your way way out in the country unless you get a uber to pick you up. Im serious about that. I hope this helps you guys out. I know it sounds boring but Im sleepy while typing this.

Cheers
Nice to hear. Daniel has been nice and patient every time I could get ahold of him. Iím glad you are happy with the sound. I canít wait to get home and swap out the harness and get mine going.

2018 Silver Sky Metalic 1794 Tundra | 4x4 TRD Package | TRD Stainless Twin Exhausts & Volant COI | Iron Cross Patriot Stainless RB | Copper Accents | Beatsonic iPhone Mirroring and Front Cam kit | Wireless Armrest Phone Charger | Tacotunes SQ1 . . . Yes it is sweet!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I've listened to alot of various music so far. As we all know all music isnt created the same so minor adjustments to the sub button will be used.

2010 Mazda 6 Black

The Following User Says Thank You to ubtrippin For This Useful Post:
Man3148 (11-05-2018)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I had the system 1 installed by them. I dropped my tundra off and picked up later that day. They did a great job, the system sounds great, and i have no complaints what so ever.

2016 Tundra TRD Pro, Cruemax, Quicksand

Last edited by edc1911; 11-05-2018 at 01:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to edc1911 For This Useful Post:
Man3148 (11-05-2018)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yea way better than stock. Stock system is aweful

2010 Mazda 6 Black

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I thought I'd post my 2c on Taco Tunes. I was driving from Colo to Houston to see my new grand daughter so I routed my drive through San Antonio so TT could install their 1B system. I previously had the non-JBL system in my 2014 Tundra double cab. Their 1B system includes the following:
- TXD3204 Amp 100x4 Watts RMS
- TXD1000.1 Sub-Amp 1000Watts RMS @1 OHM
- Image Dynamics ID10 Subwoofers (10" x 2)
- Image Dynamics TT65CS CTX 6.5" Component Speakers (100 RMS) front & rear (total 4)
- plus I added sound deadening on the doors and back

Install took about 6 hours. As ubtrippin already said, the guys in the shop and in the office were all very helpful and responsive to my questions. A number of details for the install were different than the UTube videos so I'm really glad I paid for them to install (labor cost for install was abt $500). The biggest surprise was that the DoubleCab sub box mounts under the back seat, not behind it as in the CrewMax, which is what all their videos show. So if you have a doublecab you'll lose the underseat storage space.

The TT system sounds fabulous. I now have enough bass to attract the attention of our local constable and our HOA nazi's. The high's are much sharper and clearer than the muddy sounds that came out of the stock system, and I'm delighted that I can now listen to music at a reasonable vol and be able to hear the different instruments - that was difficult with the stock audio without turning the vol to max. Everything still looks like stock equipment if you look inside the cab so there are no "steal me" indicators for would-be thieves. The installed cost is substantially cheaper than what I was looking at from local installers here, incl Car Toys. So imho it was money well spent and I'd recommend TT to others. I only wish I had done this a few years earlier, so many good listening hours wasted!

Last edited by Old Fart; 07-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm glad you like your system also. One of the good mods. We should connect up to hear each others system. I'm in Montgomery past Tomball.

2010 Mazda 6 Black

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 PM

Garage
Sure! I know where Montgomery is. I actually live in the Colo mountains, but expect some regular travel to Houston to visit my new grand daughter.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
Soooo, time for an update on TacoTunes....

About 1 month after they installed the 1B system in my 2014 Tundra, the subwoofer amp stopped working. At the end of the day, TacoTunes did the right thing and replaced the sub amp at their cost, but man did they make dealing with them frustrating and painful. The 2 guys that work in the office responding to calls, text and emails (or NOT responding) brought new levels of apathy and carelessness to redefine how bad customer service can be.

I contacted them immediately when I discovered the failed sub amp and opened a ticket as instructed by their website. After a few days they requested some voltage measurements which I provided that day. It took almost another week for them to acknowledge the amp had failed and that they would replace it and that only happened because I hounded them for a response. I waited two weeks for the amp to arrive, during which time TacoTunes did not respond to any of my requests for an update. Finally they responded and I discovered they had never shipped the new amp. After another week the amp finally arrived. During the install I had some problems getting my Entune system to recognize the test tone wav files. TacoTunes said they would send a cd with the test tones. That was 3 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting.

I hate to see a good business ruined by customer service guys who don't really care about their job, their product or their customer. I like their end product - it again sounds great. But if you have problems during the install, these guys are going to give you an ulcer...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 AM

So final cost was $3k or more Old Fart? I’d like to see what TT can do for my new to me 08 CM. My rear sub speaker is blown & it’s driving me nuts.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
So, after approximately 1 month you had an amp go bad and they had you perform voltage tests
instead of just send it back and we will replace it?

WOW - surprised....

2016 SR5 CrewMax 4x4

Other Vehicles:
2011 - SR5 Crewmax Silver Sky Metallic
2015 - Black RAV4 XLE AWD
2003 - Suzuki Volusia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in