Looking to upgrade stock door speakers - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking to upgrade stock door speakers

I have a non jbl 2nd gen with a new pioneer 4800 head unit. I want to replace the door speakers. Looks like crossovers are the best bang for the buck but will it be a pain in the ass to wire them up. Would like to keep it all plug and play. Any advice on which is the best speakers and best way to go for the best sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mxracer394 For This Useful Post:
riccnick (12-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 11:32 PM

Thanked 10,687 Times in 5,766 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Why would you think you need to wire in crossovers?

If you mean components, yes, they are best, and include a crossover network, but won't really shine with that amount of power from the hu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
You can take a day reading posts on this subject. Long story short, getting rid of the crap stock mini amp under that passenger seat. I did that first and the stock speakers sounded a world better.
I also won up swapping all speakers in the doors and adding another amp and sub.

Azblue has a great thread on the amp swap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STC #55
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bama22 For This Useful Post:
Azblue (12-29-2016), Powertechn2 (12-29-2016)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes I meant components. So with just the hu no since in spending the money on them?

Powertechn2 (12-29-2016)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer394 View Post
Yes I meant components. So with just the hu no since in spending the money on them?

They will likely sound better than stock, but unless you plan on eventually installing an amp, I wouldn't go with components.

I have ran components off stock HU power, and they were better, but no where near how much better they sound with proper power going to them.

Most components need at least 20 watts rms to actually sound somewhat good. We probably have 7.

Edit: I read back and realized you are adding an aftermarket HU. You are in the borderline area. The 20 watts that that HU probably puts out will be enough to push components. Not to 100%, but should be enough to say that they are not a waste.

However, if you are utilizing the factory wiring to the fronts, the front dash gets the power first, and have basically a bass blocker in line. Then goes to the door.

I had to modify my harness at the dash to get full range.

You are only about $150-200 more to add an amp. I had an HD900/5, and took it out. However it ran to everything, so I had to put something in it's place for trade in. I bought a Pioneer amp off Amazon for about $80, 40x4 rms @ 4 ohm. I was actually thoroughly impressed for how cheap it was. No white noise, worked well.

I said $150-200 as you will need a set of 4 chan rca's, and power/ground kit. I think that amp only needed an 8ga cable. Had to modify ring terminals to re-use the 4ga Knuconceptz wire I had in the truck. Was too big to just fit.

Amp I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will say it won't win any contests, and it is large for the output, but was actually impressed.

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd

Last edited by Powertechn2; 12-29-2016 at 05:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Manoah (12-29-2016)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That explains a lot more thanks for the detailed response definitely gonna look into doing that. The hu is already in and that's why I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers. Just the hu improved the stock speakers

Powertechn2 (12-29-2016)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer394 View Post
That explains a lot more thanks for the detailed response definitely gonna look into doing that. The hu is already in and that's why I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers. Just the hu improved the stock speakers

No problem. I did my audio on a budget. It wasn't really a budget as people think, with a 900/5, and a 13tw5, Pioneer D series components etc... But it was still a budget build.

Things sometimes happen in steps. That is how my system evolved.

That amp vs the Jl was actually really good for the price. I had low expectations, and just wanted to keep my JL amp. But sq was actually really good too.

You already have outputs from the HU.

At this time I would say go with components. You can add the amp later. Will require a total re-wire. But, at least you will already have the components and won't waste money on coaxials then just end up tossing them or selling them for .30 on the dollar you spent.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just getting components now and using the hu will call for a rewrite? Or once I ad the amp? This stereo stuff if all new to me. All I have ever done is install tweeters. Hu was easy but taking baby steps

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 PM

Well, yes, but no.

If you add an amp, you will have to run wires from it to the speakers. The woofer and tweeter will both need wires ran from the x-over. The wires to the X-over also will need to be ran from the amp.

The amp will also need to be wired in, power/ground, rca's, and signal/remote wire.

Without the amp, the x-over needs full signal, so you have to take it from before the dash speakers, or at the back of the HU. Then to x-over, then to the woofer and the tweeter from the X-over.

This is only for the front. Rear is only fill, and I do NOT suggest components for the rear. You will not notice the difference with your system.

If you go amp, then the rears would only need to be wired to the amp. You could come in at the B pillar and solder into the factory wire like I did.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh okay seems almost simple enough. Looks like I will try it I appreciate all the details

Powertechn2 (12-30-2016)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 AM

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,819 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
I have a grade 08 and the stock radio was too weak. I bought a speaker level amp but then got a good deal on a HU with good power out so I went that route. I had thought about making some or buying speaker mounts as I have some pioneer 2 way but for me the stock speakers are good enough. but usually I just have the radio on for the noise. I can hear the radio just fine with all the windows down.
Components are a lot more work. If the clarity is that important to you then go for it. I think I would sound deaden the cab first as you may not hear better quality speakers if you don't. They also may not be as loud as the stock if they have a lower sensitivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in