Has anyone changed out the map data SD card - Page 3 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Somebody is probably laughing

with all the smart, educated, technologically proficient members on this forum, there must be some that think this is child's play and are just watching to see if we can get the round peg lined up with the round hole.

I wish they would chime in and 'splain the universe to me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Good Luck is the result of hard work and sound planning"
2015 TRD Pro Double Cab
Cab Hi Snugtop with opening side windows
SDHQ Hidden Winch -Warn Zeon Platinum 10, Drivers Side Grab Handle, stubby antenna
2"+CB shackles, 46g transfer flow tank
LockerDown console vault, factory trailer brake control
Rear seatback fold down mod, interior chrome control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosolo View Post
If it is not showing any particular region, I wonder if you have an SD card installed? An earlier poster mentioned his truck came with no card installed. Have you checked the slot?

That is curious.
If I didn't have a card, I wouldn't have any maps, right? Like I said, I have maps for everywhere I go. I've been in around 30-40 different states, and every one of them had the same info as what I can get at home.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I guess I am not sure. Maybe there is baseline maps and the card just suppliments that. I am just asking questions because I don't know and it seems like nobody else does either. I'm not a IT tech, just a construction guy with a cool Tundra. Thanks for your feedback.

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think it's a matter of understanding IT. It is a closed proprietary system that requires more reverse engineering effort than it is worth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 PM
WBW

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I just looked at my '15 CM NAV system. It operates the same as @Jaj23 showed in his video. I bought my truck new in AZ. I have driven it to Dallas, TX and Killeen, TX and the NAV system automatically shifted to the map that it needed to keep up with me. I didn't have the presence of mind to look at what region the system was using while I was there though. If I can remember to look when I go back this upcoming March I can get back to you with the answer.
Just a note: there is a new stretch of highway going into Killeen that the NAV system did not have in it's database so it showed me driving on what looked like air.

2015 CM Tundra
2009 Honda Rebel
2005 Honda Goldwing (his) & 2004 Goldwing Trike (hers)
1992 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1991 Chevrolet Corvette 1997 Toyota Camry
1989 Daihatsu Charade CLS
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 07:44 AM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,316 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Garage
The factory NAV does suck. Like others said WAZE and even google maps blows the OEM NAV away. My advice is to get a cheap iPad mini and tether it to a phone and use that.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosolo View Post
Does the manufacturing plant insert the SD map card for the region that is the destination of the Tundra?

Does this mean that for those of us that drove 1,000 miles + to pick up our Tundra, the SD card that is loaded is not specific to where we live?

Has anyone tried to change the card or update it without the dealer?

Is there any hacks with upgrades?

Does anybody give a damn?

Do you realize what a wonderful thing the Oregon Militant Occupation is for the anti gun folks and Clinton? oops, veered a bit off topic, sorry.
1. AFAIK, the map card covers the lower 48 states. This would easy enough to confirm. Either just zoom out on the nation and zoom into another part of the nation. Also, you could just give instructions; based on your current location, tell it to take you there and see what it does? Since I live in Dallas, I just told it: "Give me directions to the Toyota Plant in San Antonio, Texas".....it did it. Of course you have to have a functioning paired smart phone to do that. Without a smart phone just give it a name of a city, state far far away and see what happens?

2. The only way I know to get an updated card is through a dealer; most will discount a bit. I do not think there is anyway to do it yourself.

3. I plan to buy a new card "after" the new trillion dollar intersection of 35W and 30 is completed in Downtown Dallas; that should be about 14-20 months from now. That intersection is bigger and more complex than many cities in the USA. LOL

2014 CM Limited 4x4 FFV
Off Road Pkg
Spray In Liner - Gulf States
KG Steps
JBL Upgraded Entune
Lux Pkg
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,146 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP View Post
The factory NAV does suck. Like others said WAZE and even google maps blows the OEM NAV away. My advice is to get a cheap iPad mini and tether it to a phone and use that.
...but then you have a charging cable dangling all the time. Plus, you introduce the problem of how to mount it neatly. The guy just bought a sweet TRD Pro and wants to keep the factory look without replacing the whole HU.

I guess the ideal solution would be to completely replace the HU with an aftermarket HU that has CarPlay (assuming he has an iPhone).

Sent from my Atari 2600
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaj23 For This Useful Post:
SP (02-08-2016)
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBW View Post
I just looked at my '15 CM NAV system. It operates the same as @Jaj23 showed in his video. I bought my truck new in AZ. I have driven it to Dallas, TX and Killeen, TX and the NAV system automatically shifted to the map that it needed to keep up with me. I didn't have the presence of mind to look at what region the system was using while I was there though. If I can remember to look when I go back this upcoming March I can get back to you with the answer.
Just a note: there is a new stretch of highway going into Killeen that the NAV system did not have in it's database so it showed me driving on what looked like air.
This is very true. The map card in my truck is actually dated May 2013.

When I drive from Downtown Fort Worth out the new Chisolm Trail Parkway to Cleburne, I am simply driving through the country side with “no roads”:

https://www.ntta.org/roadsprojects/p...s/default.aspx

Just in the last two years there are thousands of new miles of roads in the DFW 20 county area. That is why I am waiting until the new 35W and 30 projects are completed.

2014 CM Limited 4x4 FFV
Off Road Pkg
Spray In Liner - Gulf States
KG Steps
JBL Upgraded Entune
Lux Pkg
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:42 PM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,316 Times in 2,242 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj23 View Post
...but then you have a charging cable dangling all the time. Plus, you introduce the problem of how to mount it neatly. The guy just bought a sweet TRD Pro and wants to keep the factory look without replacing the whole HU.

I guess the ideal solution would be to completely replace the HU with an aftermarket HU that has CarPlay (assuming he has an iPhone).

I have the JBL so in screwed . I think I might install the iPad mini right over the factory Hu somehow and make it remove able . Just for road trips and stuff. I only use BT audio anyways

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint(removed its illegal now in NYS)*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*Extang 2.0 solid fold Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj23 View Post

Here is the definitive ticket:

Custom Car PC l Car PCs and Custom Gaming Computers

We can have everything our hearts desire. But as always for a price.

2003 Tacoma 4WD. 2005 Tundra, Carolina Dirt Road Metallic (traded)
2007 Tundra XS-P, dark green. Perhaps the very best overall vehicle I've ever owned, traded for:
2015 Tundra TRD pro, Inferno dual cab.
Lotus cars: 1974 Europa, 2005 Elise (track prep), 2011 Evora S
2015 Honda Civic Si It's orange too. Great little daily
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed. Best car on the road.
2019 Lexus LC500. The V8 barks!
The Following User Says Thank You to XHILR8N! For This Useful Post:
SP (02-09-2016)
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
not very many choices as the toyota unit is proprietary so you either can get the update from toyota (running around 2 bills) or go aftermarket nav/radio. since you have 2015, you are most likely one version behind the 16's (ver 15.1)...but you can check your version to see if it is the same or not

you can also get discounted cards off ebay, amazon, etc too at your own risk; no hacks that i can find anywhere either or everyone would be doing it lol

never had an issue with my 2014 nav tho as it is adequate for my use...gets me close enough and then i use my phone if necessary

would maybe consider an update from dealer if my nav was 3 or 4 years older but by then hopefully there will be cheaper updates/options available
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
You would think if there was a update, it would be covered under warranty.

2015 Tundra SR5 TRD DC w/Navi, Spray in bed liner, Heater package, TRD sway bar, Vled's led upgrades, Ranch Hand Nerf bars, Tow Package, TRD style dual exhaust by BaMuffler, 40" Light bar, non matching TRD PRO Grill/Bulge, Rear seat mod, Magnum bumper, Smittybuilt winch MGMC#338

2013 4Runner Limited

Last edited by irishpride114; 02-09-2016 at 04:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishpride114 For This Useful Post:
SP (02-09-2016)
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexTundra View Post
3. I plan to buy a new card "after" the new trillion dollar intersection of 35W and 30 is completed in Downtown Dallas; that should be about 14-20 months from now. That intersection is bigger and more complex than many cities in the USA. LOL
Better plan to wait 2-3 years after the intersection is completed then and even so you might be screwed. The road into my development was paved in April 2014 (and planned way before that of course) but the map card in my 2016 don't show it so routing anywhere is a riot since it won't send me the right way. Every time I leave or come home I'm driving in the great uncharted wasteland.

-2016 TRD Pro CM
-2014 C63 AMG Coupe

Last edited by Lude Dude; 02-08-2016 at 10:26 PM.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
there is no region specific card. they should all have the same area of coverage.

you say "better" maps. what do you mean by better? more streets? actual topographical details like hills?

if you bring up your map right now and it shows your position to be where you are (more or less)then nothing is wrong.

the only upgrade would be the newer data update which is simply more roads and POI's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in