User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2015 DC non-JBL build

Just finished up a 4.5 day excursion into unfamiliar territory. You all convinced me I could do this and so I did. While I'm not satisfied with the aural outcome as yet (see this thread), everything came together and you can't tell I ripped my truck completely apart.

Here are the components:
Amp: Alpine PDR-V75
Subwoofer: Pioneer SWX2502
DSP: JBL MS-8
Wiring: Metra 70-1761/ Metra 72-8104
Amp kit: New England
MS-8 kit: SSL SWK10
RCA cables: Tsunami Pro TSRCA-9
Front door speakers: Polk DB6501
Rear door speakers: Polk DB651
Retrofit: Platinum sails
Center speaker: JL C2-350x
Speaker adapters front: SK010
Speaker adapters rear: SAK036
Sound deadening: Raamat + ensolite

A few acknowledgements:
@roboots21 was the inspiration and support system. I can't say enough to thank him for answering all my before and after questions. Consult his build thread for great info to support this.

@Lil_will was helpful as well and his Crewmax build was very similar to what I did. He even sold me his spare center channel!

@debremus provided all the wiring guidance I needed. Read his wiring diagram thread for all the info you need.

@ToyotaOfCoolSprings got me the Platinum sails at a reasonable price.

Also benefited from the comments of @trumpet and @Jumbo Jet . Thanks! This forum made the build possible!

Rather than narrate everything, I just uploaded a ton of photos to Google+. You can view the slideshow here and read the captions.

I tried to focus on the parts where I had my own questions to anticipate those that haven't already been answered here and in the threads I linked above. Feel free to ask any questions about how I did what, why I did what, and what I'd do differently. I've taken the wiring diagram info and built a schematic for this build and it proved to be invaluable to check connections. You can download it from my Dropbox here if you like.

2015 Super White Limited Double Cab | Sand beige leather interior w/black carpet | SnugTop SuperSport topper | JBL MS-8 | Alpine PDR V75 | Polk Audio components | Pioneer sub | JL Audio center | BedRug bed and tailgate mats | RAAMat BXT II | RAAMAudio ensolite IUO | OEM non-JBL Entune HU w/nav

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tschwarz For This Useful Post:
roboots21 (03-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So the "aural outcome" is now as awesome as physical outcome. Thanks to @roboots21 for the solve. IOU big time! Now how to run new RCA's without ripping everything apart...

2015 Super White Limited Double Cab | Sand beige leather interior w/black carpet | SnugTop SuperSport topper | JBL MS-8 | Alpine PDR V75 | Polk Audio components | Pioneer sub | JL Audio center | BedRug bed and tailgate mats | RAAMat BXT II | RAAMAudio ensolite IUO | OEM non-JBL Entune HU w/nav

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roboots21 (03-26-2015)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Garage
Build looks great dude! Very well documented with the photos and all. I'm glad I could be of assistance in the build!

New England Tundra Club Member #35

Click for Build Log ->
** N-Fab * ReadyLift * Weathertech * Dynomax * TonnoPro * TRD * G-Tek Fab * Raceline * Cooper * JBL * Alpine * Polk *

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,115 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Aw man, it came out great. So you got everything figured out with the MS-8?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I'd say @roboots21 figured it out, but yes...all is well. Just need to replace my cheap RCA's. Saving a few bucks is now going to cost me a bunch of extra time...there's a lesson there. But I'm going to be defiant and run them by the power line for about 3' :-)

roboots21 (03-27-2015)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,421 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Looks great.
Took off today so I'm going to get started replacing my LC6i with the MS-8.
Hopefully get the the MS-8 and the Alpine PDXV-9 under the pass seat like roboots21 did.
Probably going to build another board to mount them both on, need to pull the pass seat and see how much room I have.
Right now they are on 2 smaller boards.

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good luck!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Nice install and great slide show of the results. Do you live in Twins Falls?

2015 Blue Ribbon Crew Max Limited
2012 Acura TSX
2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Last edited by dvswoo; 07-10-2015 at 11:38 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yep, right here in double dribble. You?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Garage
I live over in Meridian but was down in that neck of the woods a couple weeks back for my wife's family.

If you are ever up in the treasure valley and have some spare time I would love to see and possibly hear your setup.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
@tschwarz - what made you decide to go with the MS-8 instead of something like the tacotunes recurve? I just ordered one of those and I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not spending as much.

2015 1794 Edition 5.7L 4x4. 275/65-R20 Nitto Terra Grappler, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, Tacotunes SQ2 audio, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, CB +3 shackles, Helwig sway bar, TRD Pro grille and paint matched bulge. pondering: front bumper options.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvswoo View Post
I live over in Meridian but was down in that neck of the woods a couple weeks back for my wife's family.

If you are ever up in the treasure valley and have some spare time I would love to see and possibly hear your setup.
I'm up there from time to time, next week actually...but no time to spare. I'll keep that in mind. I'd like someone's opinion, actually...

t

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
@tschwarz - what made you decide to go with the MS-8 instead of something like the tacotunes recurve? I just ordered one of those and I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not spending as much.
I looked at the recurve, but Tacotunes has so much bad press here about service and responsiveness that I decided to avoid them. They definitely have an interesting product. I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. I can't swear I did the best thing, I just know I'm satisfied. And I'm picky

t

baldguy (07-10-2015)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschwarz View Post
I looked at the recurve, but Tacotunes has so much bad press here about service and responsiveness that I decided to avoid them. They definitely have an interesting product. I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you. I can't swear I did the best thing, I just know I'm satisfied. And I'm picky

t
I hadn't read that bad press, or I may have avoided them as well. Not much to do about it now, though. the stuff should be here next week.

FWIW, my experience with them was... mediocre. and that was just the sales part, where you'd expect they would be on their best behavior, lol. it wasn't a terrible experience or anything, but it took forever to get a phone number out of them. and they weren't super responsive via email. I would wait 2 days for a response, then get 5 within an hour. They also implemented a funky little ticketing system on their site that jacks up the email threads in gmail. minor nuisance but still. oh and speaking of their website(s)... they need help in that department for sure. the last thing was that they said if I could make a decision last night they could pack it up and ship it today... but then today when I asked for a tracking number they said it takes a few days to box everything up. meh. in the end, though, I was able to score a decent discount since I took a "demo" box instead of a fresh one. after the gear gets here and I get it all up and running I'll probably create a new thread with all the details. for better or worse

2015 1794 Edition 5.7L 4x4. 275/65-R20 Nitto Terra Grappler, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, Tacotunes SQ2 audio, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, CB +3 shackles, Helwig sway bar, TRD Pro grille and paint matched bulge. pondering: front bumper options.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschwarz View Post
I'm up there from time to time, next week actually...but no time to spare. I'll keep that in mind. I'd like someone's opinion, actually...

t
Anytime man. I have built and installed tons of setups ranging from small to large. Actually competed for a while a long time ago. Anyway just let me know, oh and if you like car shows there is one up here in the beginning of August called Form Fest that I will be showing my car at. There should be a wide range of cars from old muscle to modern muscle to imports.

2015 Blue Ribbon Crew Max Limited
2012 Acura TSX
2008 Nissan Altima Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in