4x4 and staying lubricated...uhh, poor word choice - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4x4 and staying lubricated...uhh, poor word choice

Bought the '17 Tundra last year. First brand new vehicle after driving 35 years and truly love the truck.

However, was reading an article the other day saying, "to keep the 4x4 lubricated you should drive at least 10-miles a month in 4-High." Our winter was very mild last year and I have only used 4H once all summer when she got into some sand. Less than 20 yards.

Thought I would ask the 4x4 pros. Is it a myth or should I try and drive a bit in 4x4 to keep everything lubricated? AND before you say it, I SHOULD be out rock climbing and crawling every weekend. And someday will...once the "new" wears off...

Thanks for you patience with a newbie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
It's a good idea to run a 4WD in 4WD every now and again. What Toyota recommends? I find it a bit excessive myself. I have a 2017, 5.7L, 4WD. I DON'T rock climb/crawl or even off road. So whenever I can remember and the time/place are right I'll run it in 4WD high for a few miles. Never really more than that.

YMMV.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 PM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
LOL, in the 9 years I had my tundra I think the 4WD maybe got used a dozen times, last winter it got used the most. I never did the whole engage the 4WD and drive 10 miles nonsense and have never had an issue with any 4WD system in any of my vehicles. You'll do more damage to it running oversize tires and pounding on it offroad than you will by not following the 4WD lubrication suggestion. Sure it won't hurt anything...except your fuel economy, but I doubt it would make any difference to the system one way or the other.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
The recommendation to engage 4x4 on occasion is preventive maintenance to keep what needs to slide/engage/disengage from locking up over time. It's a very real occurrence, be it rare for most.

Turn the 4x4 knob on and off a couple times a year and pat yourself on the back...job well done.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
The recommendation to engage 4x4 on occasion is preventive maintenance to keep what needs to slide/engage/disengage from locking up over time. It's a very real occurrence, be it rare for most.

Turn the 4x4 knob on and off a couple times a year and pat yourself on the back...job well done.
This.

Or make a point to enjoy a little dirt now and then.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I knew this would be the group to ask!!!

Many thanks for the advice and I'll just use the 4x4 a few times a year just to be safe but not go overboard.

And, Luminoz, someday I'll be taking your advice. In a few years, I'll be asking about a beginners guide to off roading. Would LOVE to try it, but not sure where to start. I can't do a lift kit or anything (at 52 might be a bit long in the tooth for that), but would like to really test the truck/me someday.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Garage
Don't feel like you have to have a lift, lights, and <insert name of aftermarket thing here> to go off road. A stock truck, some basic recovery gear, and common sense will get you to a TON of awesome places.

Here's a little inspiration:

https://americanadventurist.com/project-tundra/
The Following User Says Thank You to Luminoz For This Useful Post:
silverhack (10-24-2017)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminoz View Post
Don't feel like you have to have a lift, lights, and <insert name of aftermarket thing here> to go off road. A stock truck, some basic recovery gear, and common sense will get you to a TON of awesome places.
Absolutely!

And to respond to the OP's OQ, the seals on 4wd parts can dry out and crack if not lubricated on a regular basis. Greased items such as u joints on the driveshaft can also develop flat spots or spots where the grease has migrated to one side and left the needle bearings on one side without lubrication. The centrifugal force of the spinning driveshaft normally drives the grease out of the center and in to the arms of the u joint where the needle bearings are. Engaging 4wd on a regular basis helps prevent these things from happening. So, even though I don't often use 4wd for extended periods of time, I try to engage 4wd as oft as is convenient. For example, even though I don't need to use 4wd on a dry dirt road, I'll put it in 4wd for a bit just get things lubed. Gives me a good excuse to find a dirt road every now and again

2013 5.7l DC RB 4x4 TRD MAG GREY w/TOW PKG, WTEC MTS, BGDFLCTR, LOPRO TNO, BDRG, COACH ShKLS N BSHNGS, 45BKUPCAM, DYNAMT W/DB-3 MLV, PRMSiQ, PNR AVHX2500BT, H11_2_H9, Hlla500FF, MGMC #203, TRDSwyBr, PNR TSD1720C, JBLGTO628, PNR GMD8604, INF860w, FX2.0RR, BIL6112, IcnLefPk, RidRitBgs, DystrCrdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq247265 View Post
Blenton = Mike Sweers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Garage
X2. Lube 'em and spin 'em!

2017 SR5 DCSB
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What about 4wd Lo? Should we also put our truck in LO every now and then so LO stays lubricated too?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
I don't have a 4x4 tundra but when I had my 95.5' Toyota Pu (non-Tacoma) I had heard that you wanted to activate your 4x4 at least once a month or so. As for the distance, I was told that driving the distance of one or two city blocks (dirt alley) or the equivalent was sufficient.

10 miles of 4x4 engagement seems a little steep to me. As just a guess, 75% of 4x4 owners might engage their 4x4 once or twice a year. The actual percentage will obviously change due to each individuals geographic locations.

It's a good idea to exercise your equipment every now and again. It's more fun that way.

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

Semper Fi
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoast View Post
What about 4wd Lo? Should we also put our truck in LO every now and then so LO stays lubricated too?
There are two objectives. One is to keep the 4WD system (u-joints etc.) lubricated. This can be accomplished by driving some distance in 4Hi. A good excuse for doing some driving on a gravel road each month. The second objective is to keep the electromechanical actuators exercised to avoid atrophy. This would involve also engaging 4Lo, which could be done in your driveway.

I like the idea of accomplishing this on or about the 4th of each month. Fourth day for four wheel drive. 4 for 4. See:

It's Time to Exercise Your Actuators - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

2012 Silver Sky Metallic Sequoia SR5 4WD 4.6L
TRD Pro eng skid, Or-Fab trans skid, custom transfer case skid, RCI gas tank skid, 1.75" lift with 6112 on lowest notch, Wheeler's Superbumps (front), Revtek 441R & 5100 (rear), Michelin Defender LT275/70R18 on MB Chaos +25, 3rd Row Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in