Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Gearing with a lift

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Caselaw 
#1 ·
So Ive heard the gearing in the differential is important for power and fuel economy. Can anyone explain this to me and/or tell me if I should be paying to have mine changed. I have an 08 CM 5.7L with a 6" procomp lift...20" wheels and 35s. Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
It's harder for the engine to turn a taller tire with a given gear ratio. The final gear ratio is what gives the engine leverage to turn the wheels. The 4.30 ratio needs to be changed to 4.70, with 35" tires, to give the same mechanical leverage the 4.30 ratio had with stock 32" tires. Even if you could change to a 4.70 ratio, that wouldn't compensate for the extra weight of 20" wheels, the heavier 35" tires and the extra weight of the 6" lift components. With the taller tires and all that extra weight you may need something like a 5.30 (?) ratio to get back to the same mechanical performance as stock.:(

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply....are we talking an expensive mod? :rolleyes:

#10 ·
then maybe you need a turning break :D

#13 ·
What good is my $5k supercharger gonna be without proper $900 gearing! LMAO! Oh well.....I need do it! And yes I said "need!"

#17 ·
with 35's you dont need to re gear . YES you loose some power and mpg.

IF you spend big to re gear , one gets "most" of the performance back , but not all the mpg . The weight of each tire works against you , and the parasitic gearing loss of even lower gears.

In less words , your good with the 35's

#20 ·

IF you spend big to re gear , one gets "most" of the performance back , but not all the mpg . The weight of each tire works against you , and the parasitic gearing loss of even lower gears.

I was lurking on here and wondering if I should re gear with my 6inch lift and 35’s x 20in wheels? You’re saying it’s not necessary or worth the expense? I have a 2017 SR5 5.7 and it of course drinks gas like an alcoholic drinks booze on Fridays after work. 11mpg of course because of the lift and 95lbs for each tire. Just asking questions

I

#19 ·
2018 TRD Sport with a 6" lift front, 4" Block in the rear and 35-12.5-20, bought it that way 2 months ago. Just took it on vacation driving on I-15 in Utah the engine was at 3200 rpm 95% of the time to keep it at 75-80 mph. The truck was loaded with stuff but not more than 1000 lbs, if re-gear to bring to power band back for the 5th and 6th speed, I am seriously thinking about it. Besides, this truck need to be able to tow too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.