I can't believe we don't have a sticky - Traction Control Settings - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question I can't believe we don't have a sticky - Traction Control Settings

I'm coming from a Jeep (JK) and now I have a Tundra TRD PRO '16. I was wondering if anyone is offroading with these and if so, what/how do you change things with the traction control systems? Which portions are best left on or off?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0mf0rt For This Useful Post:
cbedgar (03-14-2016), Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,289 Times in 14,465 Posts
Mentioned: 1620 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11976 Post(s)
all depends on you and what you're trying to do.

if you're trying to haul ass but not lose control, then leave them on.

if you're trying to climb a rocky hill the turn them off so they dont kill your power when your wheels do start to slip.

if you're trying to just get shitty and get sideways, turn em off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragos28 For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (03-14-2016), Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I'm looking more for settings to crawl. So just turn everything off huh? I don't suppose you know how to do that off the top of your head?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0mf0rt For This Useful Post:
cbedgar (03-14-2016), Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
This is for 2nd gen trucks. Not sure what you have, but I wrote this up for another forum:

If you already know how to use all your functions, this may not help. But a lot of you dont have a manual or are confused by it. The thing is crazy, so I wanted to break down how to use your controls, give a little info on how they work and offer a couple of my own opinions.

Just so you guys don't think I'm taking the crack and making this up, it's in the manual and you can get a PDF online if you don't have yours. It's not super clear, but it's there. So I'll break it down for you here. This applies to only second gen trucks. You 2014 guys have a different process, so look it up. If you were lucky enough to have an 08 model, you actually have one other choice, to turn all the other stuff off except traction control. I believe that's the 4th choice anyway. Check online or in your manual to make sure. But all other 2nd gen years, have 3 choices, while in 2wheel drive and a couple more in 4 wheel. You gotta have a damn degree to figure it all out! Just print this and keep it in your truck until you memorize it. It could really come in handy if you get stuck in something, especially without 4 wheel drive. Also, I've included at the bottom of my post some definitions to the terms below.

Here we go:

*One single press of the trac (driving or stopped on this doesn't matter) button gets you:
The system is in TRAC off, AUTO LSD on and VSC, Trailer Sway Control on mode.

*For the next two, you have to be at a complete stop. Doesn't have to be in park but stopped. The first time, try 4 seconds just to make sure, but it will say auto LSD on the right and in the rpm part of the cluster, you will see The vehicle icon with squiggly lines.
At this point it means:
The system is in TRAC off, AUTO LSD on and VSC, Trailer Sway Control off mode.

*Now while it's in the mode above, and stopped, press and hold for 3-4 seconds until you see the vehicle with squiggly lines icon and trac off icon. Your auto LSD icon is now off.
This means everything is off!!! (Accept your abs breaks, but they only work if you actually hit the brakes and skid.)
When it's all off, you have the full force of your trucks power and not of it's stability control, so this big honker can get out from under you real quick, so be careful!
While I'm at it, let me explain how your open differential works. Since everything is off, if your truck breaks traction with one of your wheels, the mechanics will be to divert all power to the wheel that loses traction, thus becoming a one wheel wonder... :tinfoilhat: It's just how an open diff works. However, as long as your truck doesn't break traction, you have the full power divided between both wheels.

*When the auto LSD is on, that means you have toyotas version on a limited slip differential. It's electronically brake controlled, so when one wheel breaks traction, your brake is applied to that wheel and power is sent to the other wheel. It happens fast so be prepared... Some people bitch and moan that it's not a good system and not a true LSD. I have found that it works fine, but wish there was a setting to have it on and nothing else. Actually, that may be the 4th setting that an '08 has. Somebody may know, but you will just have to check.

*If you can't live with toyotas version of the auto LSD, you can always buy and auburn LSD from someplace like this: AG5420134-PRO
If you did, you could shut off all the other electronic stuff and just have a nice mechanical LSD.

To help enhance driving safety and performance, the following sys- tems operate automatically in response to various driving situations. Be aware, however, that these systems are supplementary and should not be relied upon too heavily when operating the vehicle.

ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)Helps to prevent wheel lock when the brakes are applied suddenly, or if

the brakes are applied while driving on a slippery road surface.

Brake AssistGenerates an increased level of braking force after the brake pedal is

depressed, when the system detects a panic stop situation.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)Helps the driver to control skidding when swerving suddenly or turning

on slippery road surfaces.

Trailer Sway Control

Helps the driver to control trailer sway by selectively applying brake pressure for individual wheels and reducing engine torque when trailer sway is detected.

Trailer Sway Control is part of the VSC system and will not operate if VSC is turned off or experiences a malfunction.

TRAC (Traction Control) for 2WD models and 2WD mode on

4WD models

Maintains drive power and prevents the rear wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) for 4WD mode on 4WD models

Maintains drive power and prevents all wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

:violent: Information overload yet? You may already know all of this, but there are a lot that don't, so if this is boring...:smash::bored::frusty: Well, don't read on!! I've got a wild hair, so while I'm at it, I'll cover the settings for the 4 wheel guys.

Part two:

So your truck is stopped and all systems are on.

*You select 4 wheel High. At this point, your 4 high is on and you are in A-Trac mode, meaning traction control for all 4 wheels. If one wheel slips, the other three get the power. And your vcs and trailer sway control is on as well.

If you press the trac button once, no hold, you get:
The TRAC OFF indicator will come on.
The system is in A-TRAC off and VSC, Trailer Sway Control on mode.

Why would you want to turn the A-Trac off?
If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow or mud, VSC, Trailer Sway Control or A-TRAC may reduce power from the engine to the wheels. You may need to turn the system off to enable you to rock the vehicle in order to free it.

*Still in 4 high and you want to shut the A-Trac and the VSC off? Press and hold the trac button for 3-4 seconds until you see the TRAC-OFF light and the VSC icon (automobile with squiggly lines). At this point:
Your computers control is completely turned off and it's only in 4 high.

All 4 wheels work at once? Remember, there aren't lockers for the differentials on the Tundra, so if a wheel is slipping, power will go to that wheel in the rear, and since A-trac is off, the power won't be directed to one or the other wheel in the front.

Why shut all systems down? Again:
If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow or mud, VSC, Trailer Sway Control or A-TRAC may reduce power from the engine to the wheels. You may need to turn the system off to enable you to rock the vehicle in order to free it.

*Lastly, you may want to be in 4low. When you switch into this mode, your trailer sway control and you VSC is completely shut down. At this point all that is on is the A-Trac system. I like this, because it works well and you don't have to worry about your VSC kicking in. However if you want the A-Trac shut down, simply hold the trac button for 3-4 seconds and you will see the TRAC OFF indicator come on.

**Dont forget about your curtain shield airbags while off-roading!!!**

At a certain angle, your truck may think it's rolling over and deploy the curtain airbags.... I'm not even going to step in this pile of dog shat, so read the manual for yourself on this one. I don't want to be at fault for telling someone they should shut them off. You have to remember to turn them back on if you do. Or if you shut the truck off and turn it back on, it gets reset back on.

Here is the link. It's on page 134.
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...df/sec_1-7.pdf

Like I said, this may all be basic info for you. But if not, I just thought I'd throw it out there for you!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Southern4x4 For This Useful Post:
BIGPAPIGREG (03-26-2016), BIG_E_YOTA (02-20-2016), cbedgar (03-14-2016), Dragos28 (02-06-2016), Manoah (02-06-2016), Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016), PL 4x4 (02-06-2016), Toymaker (05-02-2016), Wacked (03-14-2016)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I remember having to disable the airbags in my JK too. With those we just pulled the fuse. The link you provided didn't work. How do you disable them in a Tundra.
The Following User Says Thank You to c0mf0rt For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:51 PM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Press and hold the traction control button release makes the traction control less intrusive and enables the fake "LSD", then hold it in for 3 seconds to turn off the whole traction control system, at least in my 08 tundra that's all I have to do.

For crawling you probably wouldn't need to turn anything off, put the truck in 4Lo and let it do its thing, in 4WD the traction control is less intrusive, one you put the truck in 4Lo its a totally different animal and the traction control system isn't hardly intrusive at all in 4Lo...I guess it figures you are in some deep shit already if you are in 4Lo that the traction control system ain't gonna save your ass LOL.

Another way is to hook up the wrong programmer to your truck which wreaks havoc on the truck's computer, lights the dash up like a christmas tree and totally disables the traction control, stability control, etc. 4WD high/low still work, no ABS either LOL....makes the truck a lot of fun, but its $95 to have the computer reset LOL. Made the mistake once with a check engine light due to the gas cap not getting put back on properly. A friend had a code reader tool that would read the codes and reset the CEL...well what he neglected to say was it was also the programmer for his Dodge Ram pickup LOL. Plugged that thing in and it totally messed up the computer in the truck....hell if it weren't for all the stupid lights on the dash being on I wouldn't have bothered with it, those lights get annoying very fast though LOL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildbill23c For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (03-14-2016), Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 25,639 Times in 10,545 Posts
Mentioned: 829 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6031 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Another way is to hook up the wrong programmer to your truck which wreaks havoc on the truck's computer, lights the dash up like a christmas tree and totally disables the traction control, stability control, etc. 4WD high/low still work, no ABS either LOL....makes the truck a lot of fun, but its $95 to have the computer reset LOL. Made the mistake once with a check engine light due to the gas cap not getting put back on properly. A friend had a code reader tool that would read the codes and reset the CEL...well what he neglected to say was it was also the programmer for his Dodge Ram pickup LOL. Plugged that thing in and it totally messed up the computer in the truck....hell if it weren't for all the stupid lights on the dash being on I wouldn't have bothered with it, those lights get annoying very fast though LOL.
My OBDII reader is a SCT Tuner with 3 different programs.
It was for a Ford.

On mine at least, you would have to punch the buttons several times to get it to the function that downloads a program
I have read codes from several vehicles with it and never had an issue.

I know sometimes what I see is not what everyone else sees.

The voices in my head don't like you

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (02-06-2016), wildbill23c (02-06-2016)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 PM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
My OBDII reader is a SCT Tuner with 3 different programs.
It was for a Ford.

On mine at least, you would have to punch the buttons several times to get it to the function that downloads a program
I have read codes from several vehicles with it and never had an issue.
All I did was plug the thing in on my tundra and it started trying to change settings...all it took was a couple seconds and the dash was lit up...Lesson learned do plug stuff in like that unless you know for sure how it works. My Scan Gauge and my code reader would be my go to items to read codes rather than someone else's which in this case it wasn't too bad, but I assume it could really cause issues if it started rewriting settings in the computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildbill23c For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (02-07-2016)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbedgar For This Useful Post:
BIGPAPIGREG (03-26-2016), Dixon Cider (03-14-2016), Mr. Creosote (03-14-2016)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern4x4 View Post
This is for 2nd gen trucks. Not sure what you have, but I wrote this up for another forum:

If you already know how to use all your functions, this may not help. But a lot of you don't have a manual or are confused by it. The thing is crazy, so I wanted to break down how to use your controls, give a little info on how they work and offer a couple of my own opinions.
Thanks for all the info & insight Bigun!!! This really helps out. Appreciate you taking the time to do this.......

PAY WHAT YOU OWE
REAP WHAT YOU SOW
The Following User Says Thank You to BIGPAPIGREG For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (03-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in