Why you don't go wheelin' with the stock battery... - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why you don't go wheelin' with the stock battery...

SO, I'll preface this by saying that I waited too long to take care of this - about 2 months just because I was trying to deal with other issues on the truck. (LSD Install, etc.)

Here's what happened:

did 3 days of camping/fireroad driving in Death Valley, a good amount of it on fairly bumpy sections of washboard. The ICONs handled it well, but I ended up sloshing battery acid from out of the unsealed factory battery all over the terminals and hold down. As a result, it ate the terminal clamps pretty badly, especially the positive side, since it is copper.

Anyway, the solution is to make a solution of baking soda and water, take the old battery out, clean all the parts that were touched with acid with the baking soda and water combo, clean it all out and rinse it with a hose, and put a new, clean, sealed battery in. No bid deal.

Wear a FACE SHIELD, an apron, and gloves. Clean your tools afterwards. Not good to have snap-on stuff getting eaten by sulfuric acid. Maybe it wouldn't get eaten, but I'm not going to test on my 10mm wrench.

Anyway, the horror shots are attached, as well as one of the new battery, an Optima 8037-127 D27F YellowTop Starting and Deep Cycle Battery.

I went with the combo battery in case I ever want to run any lights off the battery, or need to discharge it for any urgent reason. Seemed like there wasn't much downside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2798.jpg (206.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2797.jpg (200.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2799.jpg (192.4 KB, 236 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Sealed battery is the way to go if you will be on rough trails or steep angles! Amazing how fast the acid eats everything.

Protected by Glock.
A two wheel drive truck is like a really hot woman with no vagina. Looks amazing but you can't do anything.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abakker View Post
SO, I'll preface this by saying that I waited too long to take care of this - about 2 months just because I was trying to deal with other issues on the truck. (LSD Install, etc.)

Here's what happened:

did 3 days of camping/fireroad driving in Death Valley, a good amount of it on fairly bumpy sections of washboard. The ICONs handled it well, but I ended up sloshing battery acid from out of the unsealed factory battery all over the terminals and hold down. As a result, it ate the terminal clamps pretty badly, especially the positive side, since it is copper.

Anyway, the solution is to make a solution of baking soda and water, take the old battery out, clean all the parts that were touched with acid with the baking soda and water combo, clean it all out and rinse it with a hose, and put a new, clean, sealed battery in. No bid deal.

Wear a FACE SHIELD, an apron, and gloves. Clean your tools afterwards. Not good to have snap-on stuff getting eaten by sulfuric acid. Maybe it wouldn't get eaten, but I'm not going to test on my 10mm wrench.

Anyway, the horror shots are attached, as well as one of the new battery, an Optima 8037-127 D27F YellowTop Starting and Deep Cycle Battery.

I went with the combo battery in case I ever want to run any lights off the battery, or need to discharge it for any urgent reason. Seemed like there wasn't much downside.
I just had mine replaced under my 3/36 at the dealer because of this same thing . Looks like I was not the only one with the same problem...
Here is what mine looked like as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.7 KB, 120 views)

2012 Tundra CM TRD SR5
6" Procomp on 35 12.5
ATX Ledge Toyo MT.
12x5 BaMuffler setup.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:32 PM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Did the battery come lose from its mount or was that just spillage from the battery being bounced around? I don't remember the battery in my Jeep ever doing that when I was offroad and it wasn't a sealed battery...wonder if the caps on the batteries in the tundras just don't seal very well? Although you would think with a $30k+ truck the battery would be able to stand the abuse that many trucks are put through LOL.

If you haven't already make sure you get all that acid cleaned up with some baking soda so it doesn't eat through anything important.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just spillage. The battery was snug in the mount and couldn't move. Though, I'll admit that after the road to the racetrack from Ubehebe crater, even my teeth were a bit looser. I'll bring my current battery by the Toyota dealer, though, the San Francisco dealer doesn't work much with Tundras, they mostly just scratch their head.
The Following User Says Thank You to abakker For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (07-24-2015)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:31 PM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,553 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Noticed you replaced your OEM battery with an Optima. How much did the Optima run you? I know they're not cheap but I've heard people say they're great batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra 4x4 / Off-Road Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in