User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AMP side steps

This is a long term review of the AMP side steps offered for 3rd gen Tundras.
I am not sponsored by anyone and this is a real world review over the past 1yr and 6mo.
Vehicle is a 16 Tundra TRD Pro.

Installation difficulty is about 7 of 10 as you should be mechanically inclined. Measure twice cut once.
Electrical portion is straight forward with all the necessary information and wiring needed.
If you are unsure of your mechanical/electrical capabilities I suggest you go to a shop. I was quoted $400-600 for install.

When I first installed them they are loud and had a hard thump when the steps would either go outboard or inboard to the truck. I called AMP and this was "normal" over time it should smoothen out.
They were right, in about 6 mo they did quiet down a bit, but the thump when it goes in a out to me is a good thing I could feel or hear the side steps going outboard or inboard. I have had no problems with the motors and AMP has an amazing warranty.

LED lighting for the side steps are great and I have always been complimented on how they are bright but not obnoxiously bright to show the steps.

Cleaning and maintenance is simple wash but do not use any liquids like armor all or shine products as it will make the side steps slippery that may cause you to slip and fall. I just normally use wd40 on my hinges after a wash. Like I said simple.

Other than when I first got the side steps for the noise, the other complaint I have is trying to keep the steps looking clean. Water spots, marks show up easily. This just happened recently where my passenger rear step cap fell off. If you are wondering I am referring to the ends of the steps are covers to stop dirt and other road elements getting in. I just reinstalled and tightened it and haven't had a issue since.

Overall quality I give it 10 out of 10.
Price is steep but you wont regret it.
My driving habits are day to day and weekend warrior going thru the dessert at high speeds. No crawling

I hope this helps you in your decision

TRD Pro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rajahDAT For This Useful Post:
riccnick (09-13-2017), silverhack (09-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
+1 for Amp Research.

I've only had mine for a couple weeks, but they are amazing. I was never a fan of fixed running boards and these give a nice clean look. You can now buy a pnp version that plugs into the obdII port to handle the switching of the motors and lights. Its about $100 more expensive and after installing the non-pnp version, i can say....SPEND THE EXTRA $100 ON THE PNP VERSION. Installation took me about 5 hours with a friends help. It was a pain making sure you were tapping into the correct wires in the mess of connectors behind the kick panels.

2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax Super White 5.7L 4x4 Trd Off-Road Package
Mods:
Amp Research Power Steps
BakFlip G2
Coming Soon:
Stereo Overhaul
Color Matched Grill and Bumper(s)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if I should buy them now, before I have the truck, while the $100 rebate is available. Or wait until October sale or Black Friday deal.

2018 Limited CrewMax 4x4 🔥 INFERNO 🔥 :: TRD Faux ::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 2007 Crewmax with the Amp running boards installed back in 2011. They have never malfunctioned in the time I have owned them. In hind sight they have been one of the best aftermarket purchases I have made for this truck. They will never drag on anythin while you are off road like the fixed ones will and they will protect the rockers while you are on the road. Great product!!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
My AMP RBs are now 3 years old and boards and LED lights function as they did on day one. Do not regret spending the money for my AMP RBs and my next truck will have a set too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Tundra 1794 edition -
Icon VS2.5 front and rear suspension
CB +2 and polyurethane bushing
TRD sway bar
AMP power steps
BFG KO2 285-65-20
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is my third winter with these. Really like them, install wasn't too bad. However, this winter the passenger side doesn"t close all the way at times, I believe from ice, salt, crap, so will see in spring. The drivers side recently quit working. After calling them and some troubleshooting, the wire in the harness was broken so I had to run a new wire from the harness under the hood into the cab via the firewall rubber grommet. Actuates when grounded. I used a KD tool wire insertion tool, made it easy, tapped into purple wire and back in business.. IMO, instructions say run left and right door wires through the floor rubber grommets I'd just punch thru the firewall grommets..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Second winter for my Amp running boards and no issues. Have a question on lubrication - I apply silicone spray to the end of the hinge pins and the mating surfaces on the hinges. Is there a better way? No ongoing lubrication required for the motor pinion/gear? I didn't see a good way to get any lube to it without disassembling.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 Limited Tundra DC 5.7L 4WD
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2010 Mazda Mx-5 Touring
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:40 PM

Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,066 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
iirc amp says no lube at hinges.just rinse with fresh water.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 AM

Garage
Ballpark on the installation time? Do you need to drill and tap holes or is it pretty much just bolt on?
Thanks in advance

2011 Crewmax Platinum
Black
TRD exhaust
Air raid intake
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restosud View Post
iirc amp says no lube at hinges.just rinse with fresh water.
This is info the Amp/Lund call center sent me via e-mail.....

"For general maintenance, we recommend that you use a silicone spray or dry lube around once a month or so, or after every vehicle washing. You would want to use a scrub brush and soap and water or a pressure washer to clean off the linkages. You would use the silicone spray on all of the pivot points. If you live in an area where there is poor weather conditions, you may want to do this more frequently."

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD

Last edited by Buckaroo; 02-07-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohutch View Post
Ballpark on the installation time? Do you need to drill and tap holes or is it pretty much just bolt on?
Thanks in advance
I took my time and I think it was about 5-6 hours to do the install. There were no holes to drill in the truck. The mechanical work is very straightforward, just a lot of steps. I have a 2017 DC and cut the steps longer than they suggested to extend past the back door and provide a step-up for the front of the bed - I wish I had cut them even longer.

I bought the cheaper version that requires splicing in the electrical vs plugging in the OBDII port. The electrical was not bad but I took my time to make sure I got it right. I did call Amp technical assistance for clarification on the instructions - they were very helpful. The Posi-Tap connectors that they provided for splicing in the wiring were great - first time I had seen them. Very easy to install and very secure versus those vampire clips which I would never use....I am now a fan and have purchased more of them to use whenever there's no room for soldering. Link follows....

https://www.posi-products.com/

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD

Last edited by Buckaroo; 02-07-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. In your opinion is the plug and play option worth it? I use my obd port for my scanner and would rather not have wires running to it.

2011 Crewmax Platinum
Black
TRD exhaust
Air raid intake
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Making the electrical splices was not difficult - the hardest part is insuring you are splicing into the correct wires. If you have questions during the install, call Amp.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo
- 2017 XLE Camry 2.5L
- 2004 EX Accord 2.4L
- 2002 XLE Camry 2.4L
- 2000 4Runner 3.4L 4WD
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had called AMP products about the plug n play vs wiring in the harness, told me that the plug n play via OBD do not work well with my Tundra. Thanks for the update about hinge lube. The actual step install was simple, hardest was running the harness, putting the wires up thru the floor rubber grommets, finding the correct wires to tap into. I also did the step lights..Again, if i did it over I'd modify the harness & push the wires thru the firewall..

2016 Tundra Crew Max
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekfreek View Post
I had called AMP products about the plug n play vs wiring in the harness, told me that the plug n play via OBD do not work well with my Tundra.

Can anyone else confirm this? $100 more for a product that CS openly admits does not work well is a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Product Reviews > Step Bar/Running Board reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in