LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
GPF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gas Mileage

I see many Tundra owners complaining about their gas mileage and I wanted to throw this out there. I am averaged 12.5 L/100kms on my recent vacation traveling approximately 4000 kms with 80% hiway & 20% city. My bed was full and it was just me and my wife. I get decent mileage on long trips. I normally get around 15L/kms on average cruising around Edmonton but I found a sweet spot when cruising on the highway by setting it at 118kph (73ish mph) with the tach below 2000 getting 12.5L/kms. In comparison, when cruising at 125kph (78ish mph), it goes to 14.8L/kms. The only things I changed was I added the all weather BF Goodrich Advantage TA (20") with a high rotation for increase gas saving. Excellent in deep snow, slush, wet, dry weather but sucks on black ice at normal highway speeds. I changed to the Mobil synthetic 0W20 with a secret additive to boost better gas mileage. I added a picture for some of the sceptics out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
GPF

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My picture didn't upload with my original post so I am attempting this again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190722_201455_1563901398288.jpg (189.7 KB, 34 views)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,503 Times in 13,948 Posts
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9261 Post(s)
Google says that's 18.8 mpg. Not bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,450 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicklebunny View Post
I get 14 MPG and I don't tow anything....

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
Quote:
I get 14 MPG and I don't tow anything....
Don't worry about it. Getting good mileage is overrated. Oh sure you might save a few dollars by driving slower but millions will be late!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peanut Butter and JAM
The Following User Says Thank You to Hicklebunny For This Useful Post:
1lowlife (07-24-2019)
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:24 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,193 Times in 4,446 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone who buys a nearly 3 ton pickup with a NA V8 making close to 400 hp and then complains about fuel economy,
should be shamed and picked on until they shut up.
Especially the ones that seem to think all other manufacturers are making trucks that have 500 hp and get 30 mpg and run on water and have rainbow emissions and have extra WIFIs and constantly say things like "Toyota better up their game".
They should also be shamed and picked on until they shut up or go buy a different truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (07-24-2019)
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
Anyone who buys a nearly 3 ton pickup with a NA V8 making close to 400 hp and then complains about fuel economy,
should be shamed and picked on until they shut up.
Especially the ones that seem to think all other manufacturers are making trucks that have 500 hp and get 30 mpg and run on water and have rainbow emissions and have extra WIFIs and constantly say things like "Toyota better up their game".
They should also be shamed and picked on until they shut up or go buy a different truck.
I disagree. Toyota has been selling the same truck for 12 years, it used to be great in comparison to the competition, but at this point they have gone to the next level.
Even incremental changes would have been nice. Toyota has an 8spd transmission, its not like they need to research it, they could simply offer it but won't.
Android auto, same thing, Johnny come lately.

Peanut Butter and JAM
The Following User Says Thank You to Hicklebunny For This Useful Post:
Jack McCarthy (07-23-2019)
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:37 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
I disagree. Toyota has been selling the same truck for 12 years, it used to be great in comparison to the competition, but at this point they have gone to the next level.
Even incremental changes would have been nice. Toyota has an 8spd transmission, its not like they need to research it, they could simply offer it but won't.
On a serious note:
Question 1: does something need to be changed simply for the sake of being changed, for reasons of marketing and all the psychological hangups and weaknesses of most people,.... or, are their advancements in technology that are leaps and bounds ahead of what the Tundra has?
Question 2: if other trucks have mechanical advantages that are a decade ahead of the Tundra,..... what are they and what advantages do they provide.
And I'm looking for mechanical advantages, not entertainment systems, cute gadgets, creature comforts, etc.

My argument has never been that Toyota has no interest in making changes to the Tundra, but simply that they don't sell enough of them to justify creating a whole new truck every few years simply for the sake of the elusion that they are innovating and offering the lastest space age features and technology.
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
ACDan (07-24-2019)
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
I'm getting 17-17.5 mpg in my '19 dc, I'm still running stock 255's though. That's during the weekly commute traveling over 20mi on I-70 and only a few blocks in town. Cruise set at 72 which with 255/70's is probably actually 70mph.... stay away from flex fuel.. I was under 13mpg on it. I'll never fall for that again.

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Garage
Why would your speedo be off with the factory sized tires that it was calibrated for?
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 PM

Thanked 21,595 Times in 7,120 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
I'm waiting for the car with the thorium based nuclear reactor that never needs refuelling.

Either that or an updated V8 tundra that does 17mpg minimum; whichever comes sooner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

New England Tundra Club Member #14
First Gen Tundra Club Member #41
Silver Sky Tundra Club Member #82
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not sure that it is? It reads 1mph faster than the digital display and 2mph faster than gps. I have a suspicion the 255's weren't originally meant for the truck. It had a yellow sticker in the door jamb notifying something like.. due to modification, the weight limit of this vehicle is reduced by 50lbs.

post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
Quote:
On a serious note:
Question 1: does something need to be changed simply for the sake of being changed, for reasons of marketing and all the psychological hangups and weaknesses of most people,.... or, are their advancements in technology that are leaps and bounds ahead of what the Tundra has?
Question 2: if other trucks have mechanical advantages that are a decade ahead of the Tundra,..... what are they and what advantages do they provide.
And I'm looking for mechanical advantages, not entertainment systems, cute gadgets, creature comforts, etc.

My argument has never been that Toyota has no interest in making changes to the Tundra, but simply that they don't sell enough of them to justify creating a whole new truck every few years simply for the sake of the elusion that they are innovating and offering the lastest space age features and technology.
On a serious note. Toyota is the biggest manufacturer in the world and very profitable. Therefore it has the money for R&D.
If they want to sell more trucks they need to work for it, be the industry leader, put the money out there to take a bigger chunk of the market.
Here's a thought, build a 3/4 ton.
They build diesels for every market except where they sell the Tundra. They already build some of the best diesels in the world. Hino has a variety of diesel engines, maybe one could be put in a Tundra.
Should they resign every 3 years, no. Every 5 years, maybe. Every 10 years, definitely. That's marketing.

Peanut Butter and JAM
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
No complaints here , some of wich we all knew about the tundra when we sighed up

16.5 winter , 18.2 ( no higher ) warm weather .
Oem sized tires of coarse , drivin a tad gental for mpg.
I can live with that

2018 TRD OffRoad 5.7 gasser
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Garage
Gas Mileage

I get 14mpg pretty much all the time. I got 15mpg on a long road trip once.

I get 7-8mpg pulling the 5er.

No complaints here itís a truck not a Prius.

My Chevy got 14mpg, my f250 diesel got 16mpg. The people with eco turds that I know get 16mpg the one in a raptor gets 14. The gm guys get 14-16mpg.

Who is really getting 18-20mpg in a full size truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
1lowlife (07-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in