Suspending entire vehicle in air simultaneously? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Suspending entire vehicle in air simultaneously?

Once a long time ago, when in my twenties, I tried jacking up and suspending both the front and rear end of a car to work underneath with a friend. Disaster. After jacking up and placing jack stands on one end, we then tried jacking up the other end (I don't recall which end was first) only to have the end under the stands to shift forward and fall as I jacked up the opposite end. Obviously, we were lucky neither of us were hurt.
In my thirties I was once again challenged to perform this maneuver and succeeded, in a sense, by using a different method. Instead of jacking the first end I made a ramp out of heavy timbers and eased my front tires up against it while erecting another ramp out of more timbers and placing them in front of the rear wheels. I then drove up both sets of ramps at the same time - success...to a point. Were I to need to work on the brakes, for example, this method wouldn't work as the weight of the truck was still being supported by the wheels and not suspended.

This begs the question, for me at least, of how would you raise the entire vehicle and support it on jack stands without it shifting forward or backward when raising the opposite end? Would one jack up and support the sides, side to side, as opposed to the ends? Jacking points and jack stand placing points aren't so neatly arranged when approached from the sides, so how does one get around these inconvenient facts?

If all you leave behind in your journey is memories, then make them good memories, and live again in those who remember.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,287 Times in 14,464 Posts
Mentioned: 1620 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
i'd think 3 or 4 floor jacks would be the safest.. or a car lift obviously

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,540 Times in 13,977 Posts
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9284 Post(s)
I feel like I'm missing something.

Assuming your vehicle is parked on flat ground. Apply the parking brake and use wheel chalks on the rear wheels, jack up the front and then use jack stands, move to the rear, back up the rear and use jack stands.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
The Following User Says Thank You to Hicklebunny For This Useful Post:
riccnick (07-17-2019)
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Garage
I normally chock the front wheels, then put a floor jack under the rear differential. Then put jack stands under the rear axle. Then I put the jack on the frame behind the front wheel and put a jack stand on the frame behind the jack. Repeat for the other side.

Just make sure you have some big jack stands. I have some 6 ton and the physically larger size makes them much more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Crabby Hermit (07-17-2019), MetalMonkey (07-17-2019), Powertechn2 (07-17-2019), riccnick (07-17-2019)
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:18 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,226 Times in 4,464 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Garage
It's time consuming and a pita, but I work on one wheel at a time.
Because I like watching YouTube fail videos, not being on one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (07-17-2019), Powertechn2 (07-17-2019), riccnick (07-17-2019)
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:22 PM
He Has Risen!
Premium Member

Thanked 10,226 Times in 4,464 Posts
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Garage
What was the reason to get all 4 wheels off the ground?
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
What was the reason to get all 4 wheels off the ground?
To raise it enough to get my old, fat butt under it to service all the fluid and lube points while keeping the vehicle relatively level. And yes, I would use four jack stands and chock the wheels beforehand, though the wheel chocks are only helpful for a short time. I'm thinking that I would need to ramp the rear wheels, apply the e-brake, and then moving to jack up the front, and supporting with jack stands. Were I to need to also suspend the rear wheels, I would then carefully and ever so slowly jack it up enough to set a pair of stands slightly higher than the ramp I drove up on being careful to not "tip" the weight of the truck either forward or back.

I may be making it too hard on myself, but the lesson learned has not been lost on me that the vehicle's weight shift while perched on the stands is genuine and needs to be dealt with. If anyone has a better way, or strong convictions that this move on my part is not needed, please point it out.

If all you leave behind in your journey is memories, then make them good memories, and live again in those who remember.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicklebunny View Post

Assuming your vehicle is parked on flat ground. Apply the parking brake and use wheel chalks on the rear wheels, jack up the front and then use jack stands, move to the rear, back up the rear and use jack stands.
Again, my limited experience points to the chocks and e-brake being unhelpful as soon as you lift the rear off the ground, and thereby countering their effectiveness while shifting the weight of the vehicle forward in an increasing amount as you gain height in the rear. I have no problem getting back on the horse, but I don't want to repeat failures of the past. Oh, and flat level ground is at a premium in my rural and mountainous area, but we do try...

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Hermit View Post
Quote:

Again, my limited experience points to the chocks and e-brake being unhelpful as soon as you lift the rear off the ground, and thereby countering their effectiveness while shifting the weight of the vehicle forward in an increasing amount as you gain height in the rear. I have no problem getting back on the horse, but I don't want to repeat failures of the past. Oh, and flat level ground is at a premium in my rural and mountainous area, but we do try...
Well if your not doing it on flat ground, I'd say all bets are off. You will have to roll the dice.
I watched a show where a guy in the Philippines was working on a car on a mountain, he tied the front of his car to a tree using a rope, so it wouldn't roll backwards down the slope.

Peanut Butter and JAM
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Well if your not doing it on flat ground, I'd say all bets are off. You will have to roll the dice.
We don't all live in Kansas, you know, but we try our best. Pretty much all the land not paved is sloped or canted to some degree. Or full of potholes or protruding boulder or two. Just some of the perks of rural living in the mountainous Pacific Northwest, where there is more than trees, Sasquatch and continuous rain. Really.

The alternative I see, while avoiding the use of any ramps, is to inch-worm the truck up a little at a time, and setting the stands before doing the same to the other end. Repeat as necessary to raise to height required. Time consuming yet far safer as you avoid creating a tipping point and any shift of the vehicle raised. Dragging the hugely heavy jack back and forth through the gravel to accommodate this method is nothing to look forward too at my less-than-frisky age of 69, so I am looking for alternatives.

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Garage
Thatís why I lift the rear first The stands hold the rear axle very well compared to the frame.

I have never had an issue using this method, but Iím in south Louisiana with very little hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Jack McCarthy (07-17-2019), riccnick (07-17-2019)
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Quote:
We don't all live in Kansas, you know, but we try our best. Pretty much all the land not paved is sloped or canted to some degree. Or full of potholes or protruding boulder or two. Just some of the perks of rural living in the mountainous Pacific Northwest, where there is more than trees, Sasquatch and continuous rain. Really.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/liar.gif[/IMG]

The alternative I see, while avoiding the use of any ramps, is to inch-worm the truck up a little at a time, and setting the stands before doing the same to the other end. Repeat as necessary to raise to height required. Time consuming yet far safer as you avoid creating a tipping point and any shift of the vehicle raised. Dragging the hugely heavy jack back and forth through the gravel to accommodate this method is nothing to look forward too at my less-than-frisky age of 69, so I am looking for alternatives.
You need an inflatable raft and an air compressor. When it lifts the truck to the height you want, then put the Jack stands under it

Peanut Butter and JAM
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 30,287 Times in 14,464 Posts
Mentioned: 1620 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
That's a lot of effort, just dig a pit and drive over it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragos28 For This Useful Post:
Jack McCarthy (07-17-2019), riccnick (07-17-2019)
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 16,934 Times in 7,973 Posts
Mentioned: 777 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Garage
Just do what @Dragos28 usually does. Roll the truck over onto its roof, plenty of access to the underside.

Save The Chrome Club #1
SAVE THE CHROME!!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Azblue For This Useful Post:
2010 (07-17-2019), ACDan (07-20-2019), Crabby Hermit (07-17-2019), Dragos28 (07-17-2019), Jack McCarthy (07-17-2019), Powertechn2 (07-17-2019), riccnick (07-17-2019)
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Thanked 21,600 Times in 7,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Quote:
To raise it enough to get my old, fat butt under it to service all the fluid and lube points while keeping the vehicle relatively level.
I would just lose weight. It isn't worth it going through all that extra effort to squeeze underneath just to service it. That's one of the reasons I own a truck anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

New England Tundra Club Member #14
First Gen Tundra Club Member #41
Silver Sky Tundra Club Member #82
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack McCarthy For This Useful Post:
riccnick (07-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Off Topic Section > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in