TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Shutdown (https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/off-topic-discussion/760550-shutdown.html)

DIABLOCOASTIE1 01-12-2019 07:58 PM

Shutdown

Hello all, Just wanted to vent a bit so please if this is not allowed delete with extreme prejudice. haha. I'm not looking to point fingers or name names. Just wanted to get people stories.

How has the shutdown effected you? What are you doing to supplement income?

ME:So being in the Coast Guard for a little over 16 years (CWO-Naval Engineer) now and this shutdown has me in knots. I have been out at sea since first of Nov and will not be home for a bit longer. I just can't go out and get another job to supplement my families income while at sea. This is one of those unfortunate times that CG personnel have to WORK without pay and being out at sea I can't do much but email/go online to assist with bills. (when we have connectivity). I'm just waiting for my time to retire and I'm going far away from any and all government jobs so I don't have to deal with this. lol.

Hicklebunny 01-12-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIABLOCOASTIE1 (Post 9411194)
Hello all, Just wanted to vent a bit so please if this is not allowed delete with extreme prejudice. haha. I'm not looking to point fingers or name names. Just wanted to get people stories.

ME:So being in the Coast Guard for a little over 16 years (CWO-Naval Engineer) now and this shutdown has me in knots. I have been out at sea since first of Nov and will not be home for a bit longer. I just can't go out and get another job to supplement my families income while at sea. This is one of those unfortunate times that CG personnel have to WORK without pay and being out at sea I can't do much but email/go online to assist with bills. (when we have connectivity). I'm just waiting for my time to retire and I'm going far away from any and all government jobs so I don't have to deal with this. lol.

I have a flight next month, I considered tipping the TSA agent, assuming one is there. I heard Miami has closed a terminal.

eharri3 01-12-2019 08:39 PM

96 Attachment(s)
Me and the wife are both federal, paid up on everything until first of next month or later. I normally charge little Day to day stuff so I’ll just go on like normal this month. I guess if it approaches the first of Feb and nothing has changed I’ll have to cash in a couple savings bonds and take a little tax hit, since that’s where most of my non stock money is.

flighht2k5 01-12-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIABLOCOASTIE1 (Post 9411194)

Iím active duty and Iím getting paid. Why wouldnít you get paid?

Hicklebunny 01-12-2019 09:45 PM

I read that the farmers who were going to get subsidies due to the trade embargo, won't be able to get paid because the Agriculture Department's farm service agency is closed.

mcameron63 01-12-2019 09:48 PM

First, thanks for your service. I appreciate your hardship, but being in the private sector, i’ve Lost jobs and been unemployed and retrained to become marketable, etc. if my company doesn’t do well, all of its employees are at risk of layoff. We live with that every day. While I am partial to military and LE (they should get paid on time, and for much more than they do) for your average bureaucrat, I have little sympathy. Let’s face it, does the government ever fire or lay off people? So they are getting a paid vacation—-I think a lot of guys working construction, oil fields, farming, etc., would love to switch places. So no, while I’m sorry for the guys keeping us safe, I am shedding no tears for the others. I’d like to see Trump pull a Reagan PATCO move and fire 40% of the federal workforce (exempting only military, Homeland Security). Vent off!

H2O MAN 01-12-2019 10:30 PM

I worked without pay for months at a time during the 8 years of economic decline under BHO, and there is no such thing as back pay for the self employed / self insured. I damn near lost everything, but I survived - so can you.

Hicklebunny 01-12-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2O MAN (Post 9411256)
I worked without pay for months at a time during the 8 years of economic decline under BHO, and there is no such thing as back pay for the self employed / self insured. I damn near lost everything, but I survived - so can you.

Why would you work without pay?

Hicklebunny 01-12-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcameron63 (Post 9411242)
First, thanks for your service. I appreciate your hardship, but being in the private sector, i’ve Lost jobs and been unemployed and retrained to become marketable, etc. if my company doesn’t do well, all of its employees are at risk of layoff. We live with that every day.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.
He hasn't lost his job
He's not unemployed (I doubt he would qualify for unemployment benefits if he swam off the job)
He's not at risk of layoff and his "company" is doing a fine job.
It would be difficult to make a comparison between the private sector and what's happening. The closest comparison would be something like:
You work in a field office, doing your job properly. The CEO is arguing with the shareholders over what color to paint the executive bathroom. The CEO wants blue but the share holders want white, so CEO stops paying the staff at the field office until the share holders agree to paint the washroom blue.

shackleford rusty 01-13-2019 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcameron63 (Post 9411242)
First, thanks for your service. I appreciate your hardship, but being in the private sector, iíve Lost jobs and been unemployed and retrained to become marketable, etc. if my company doesnít do well, all of its employees are at risk of layoff. We live with that every day. While I am partial to military and LE (they should get paid on time, and for much more than they do) for your average bureaucrat, I have little sympathy. Letís face it, does the government ever fire or lay off people? So they are getting a paid vacationó-I think a lot of guys working construction, oil fields, farming, etc., would love to switch places. So no, while Iím sorry for the guys keeping us safe, I am shedding no tears for the others. Iíd like to see Trump pull a Reagan PATCO move and fire 40% of the federal workforce (exempting only military, Homeland Security). Vent off!

VERY WELL STATED! minimize the government (of course, except military; make bigger)... MAGA from south texas!

if i performed my job like most gub'ment employees, i'd be fired.

only there fo tha check and it shows... im on ma break... next window.

Dragos28 01-13-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shackleford rusty (Post 9411286)
VERY WELL STATED! minimize the government (of course, except military; make bigger)... MAGA from south texas!

if i performed my job like most gub'ment employees, i'd be fired.

only there fo tha check and it shows... im on ma break... next window.

you related to Jerome?
Or possibly Gene?

tightywhitey 01-13-2019 08:23 AM

Lawmakers need to be the one not getting paid. They should be in the office 24/7 until this thing is resolved.

BillDig 01-13-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flighht2k5 (Post 9411236)
Iím active duty and Iím getting paid. Why wouldnít you get paid?

DOD is funded. Coast a guard is not under DOD, itís under Homeland Security which is it funded yet and therefore subject to the shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flighht2k5 01-13-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDig (Post 9411348)
DOD is funded. Coast a guard is not under DOD, itís under Homeland Security which is it funded yet and therefore subject to the shutdown.

Yea I donít think thatís true. Anyways. This isnít the first time in your career this has happened. Youíll be paid ultimately. Besides most banks like navy fed will pay you your normal check and theyíll just take your pay when you finally get it.

BillDig 01-13-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flighht2k5 (Post 9411354)
Yea I donít think thatís true. Anyways. This isnít the first time in your career this has happened. Youíll be paid ultimately. Besides most banks like navy fed will pay you your normal check and theyíll just take your pay when you finally get it.

Which part is not true? CG has been under DHS since 2015. And ďThe vast majority of Department of Homeland Security employees will also work without a regular paycheck. The nearly 90 percent of workers in the agency affected by a shutdown would include 53,000 Transportation Security Administration employees, as well as 42,000 Coast Guard employees.Ē