Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9151 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flighht2k5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicklebunny View Post
What's a liberal degree?

A degree received at a liberal college from a liberal professors.
I still don't know what that means.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First Gen Club Member # 23
Peanut Butter and JAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 13,633 Times in 7,022 Posts
Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
.004 of 1 percent in the budget they are trying to pass.

Fund the border and open the government back up.

I'm so tired of Pelosi that I don't care how long parts of gov stay shutdown .

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
post #168 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 37,136 Times in 18,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDan View Post
.004 of 1 percent in the budget they are trying to pass.

Fund the border and open the government back up.

I'm so tired of Pelosi that I don't care how long parts of gov stay shutdown .
How has the shutdown affected you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peanut Butter and JAM
post #169 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 13,633 Times in 7,022 Posts
Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Quote:
How has the shutdown affected you?
By having to hear about it.

There are more productive things our politicians could be focused on if they could get past this.

2016 SR5 DCLB 4X4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACDan For This Useful Post:
Dragos28 (01-25-2019), Wacked (01-24-2019)
post #170 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:30 PM
He Has Risen!

Thanked 17,545 Times in 8,266 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3507 Post(s)
Garage
Democrats argue that funding the construction of a steel barrier along 234 miles will not solve the problems.

YET,.....

Between 2007 and 2015 (under the OBAMA admin), U.S. Customs and Border Protection spent $2.4 billion to add 535 miles of pedestrian and vehicle barriers and other infrastructure along the border.

CALIFORNIA

Much of California’s 141 miles of border with Mexico was fenced during the Bush administration through a security measure that won congressional approval and had support from key Democrats.

In 2009 (again, under Obama), the federal government spent about $16 million per mile on a 3.5-mile stretch in San Diego, using about 2 million tons of dirt to fill in a canyon known as Smuggler’s Gulch. The earthen dam was then topped with layers of fencing.

At the Imperial Sand Dunes, the U.S. built a floating fence of 16-foot-high steel tubes that can be raised or lowered as the sands shift. The $6 million per mile barrier cuts through a film location for “Star Wars: Return of the Jedi” that resembles the Sahara.

ARIZONA

In 2006, the federal government completed a 30-mile stretch of steel barriers to keep people from illegally crossing into the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. The barriers were designed to stop vehicles from driving around a checkpoint in Lukeville or up through the desert wilderness. That three-year project had a price tag of $18 million.

More recently, Barnard Construction Co. Inc. of Montana was awarded $172 million for 14 miles of new fencing in the Border Patrol’s Yuma Sector. Officials say the total value of that contract could reach $324 million for 32 miles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
ACDan (01-24-2019), lando622 (01-24-2019)
post #171 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 PM
He Has Risen!

Garage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
lando622 (01-24-2019), Wacked (01-24-2019)
post #172 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM
He Has Risen!

Garage
Interesting that they're not talking about being invaded by women and children from Guatemala, seeking asylum.

The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Wacked (01-24-2019)
post #173 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 20,131 Times in 6,379 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
post #174 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 PM
He Has Risen!

Garage
Miraculously, in 2016, literally over night, "sanctuary" cities popped up, democrats said it was immoral to put up barriers and it "sends the wrong message to the world about what America stood for" and suddenly it was only women, children and families seeking asylum.
And literally overnight, in 2016, the majority of the country was "not in favor" of a wall or more border security (according to democrats and all the ignorant lemmings that parrot their hypocrisy).
Apparently, the moment Trump took office, all human and drug trafficking stopped abruptly. All illegal crossing of the border stopped. No one has been murdered, raped, robbed, assaulted by or involved in a car accident with anyone who is not a citizen and here illegally.
So, apparently, over night, there's now no reason for border security. No one wants it and there's clearly no need for it.
There was for the last 20 yrs., under the last 3 presidents. But I guess the problem cleared itself up and everyone changed their mind.
Funny, I don't remember sanctuary cities a few years ago. I don't remember any caravans of 1000s traversing all of central America to get here. I don't remember anyone saying it was immoral to secure the border and I don't remember any media or news coverage of children being separated from adults while detained, after being apprehended while crossing illegally. I don't remember it being covered at all during Clinton, Bush, or Obama.
I thought maybe my memory was slipping.
But I don't feel bad now that I see how many other people don't remember any of that either.

Last edited by RRzxter; 01-24-2019 at 08:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Wacked (01-24-2019)
post #175 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
If walls don't work, lets just start at San Diego and tear the border wall down all the way back to Yuma. In a few months we can sell California to Mexico.

The sell should pay off a large portion of the national debt and provide funding for to secure the rest of the border. Pelosi will lose her speakership because her district is now in Mexico. She can then negotiate with the drug cartels and we can "MOVE ON"..... get it "MOVEON.mx"....
The Following User Says Thank You to sundance For This Useful Post:
ACDan (01-24-2019)
post #176 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanked 5,989 Times in 2,784 Posts
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Realities

Donald Trump doesn't want 2000 mile wall from sea to shining sea, he wants a couple hundred miles more in high traffic areas where the physical terrain would allow it to hinder crossings and help the border patrol better allocate man-power.

A wall is not useless, nor it is it a be-all, end-all solution. It could work well in conjunction with more agents and judges, although I think his asylum reforms will be more important to deter Central American Mexicans from abusing it. The goal being, teach the region that dragging children through treacherous border crossings and making bullshit asylum claims aren't a ticket to quick release into the interior so maybe it's time to cut that shit out. The wall is not the most important fix for the problems we have now, but if this pattern reverts back to a norm where standard illegals hopping the fence is the main problem, it will still be there to mitigate that.

When Democrats say they aren't for open borders and they want reasonable measures that are more cost efficient and technologically advanced than a wall, they're lying. Their radical base that wants full un-restricted open borders with no enforcement is holding their feet to the fire to withhold wall money at all costs because it would be a political victory for Donald Trump.

The wall should have been settled 2 years ago but McConnell and Ryan pressured Trump to sign bullshit budgets with the excuse that they wanted to get on to their legislative agenda, about 90% of which failed.

The political conversation in the United States and the Democrat resistance to his attempts to ramp up enforcement has incentivized continued abuse of the asylum system and encouraged minor border crossings.

The radical left now sees that the asylum claims and family units uniquely stress the enforcement and detention capabilities. They hope that if they continue to fight deterrent efforts in court the administration will be left with no option but to institute wide spread catch and release, which sends a signal to the rest of the region that the full scale stampede can truly begin.

Previous comprehensive bills have failed because the country wants to coalesce around something that involves strong enforcement first and then an amnesty down the line once the borders have tightened up and a bunch of deportations have happened, and a clear signal has been sent to the world that trying to sneak in doesn't pay. Elements of both parties have avoided offering such a legislative option. They always try to offer amnesty up front coupled with enforcement efforts that will probably die off in a few years.

The dirty little secret nobody wants to explain is a sizable population of illegal aliens is something elements of both parties always want to maintain. They don't want a day where they all get status and live completely above board. That's because the law would then require you to offer them a minimum wage, proper length work week, over-time, and whatever other benefits the federal state and local governments mandate. In other words, the economic benefits of hiring them go away and we're forced to make hard choices about wages and prices that the political class assumes on our behalf that the market economy can't handle. This is why a reform system that eliminates the possibility of another population of illegals replacing the ones we give relief to may never pass. Many Republicans and Democrats want the door to stay open for the next generation.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

Last edited by eharri3; 01-24-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #177 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 37,136 Times in 18,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
Realities

Donald Trump doesn't want 2000 mile wall from sea to shining sea, he wants a couple hundred miles more in high traffic areas where the physical terrain would allow it to hinder crossings and help the border patrol better allocate man-power.

A wall is not useless, nor it is it a be-all, end-all solution. It could work well in conjunction with more agents and judges, although I think his asylum reforms will be more important to deter Central American Mexicans from abusing it. The goal being, teach the region that dragging children through treacherous border crossings and making bullshit asylum claims aren't a ticket to quick release into the interior so maybe it's time to cut that shit out. The wall is not the most important fix for the problems we have now, but if this pattern reverts back to a norm where standard illegals hopping the fence is the main problem, it will still be there to mitigate that.

When Democrats say they aren't for open borders and they want reasonable measures that are more cost efficient and technologically advanced than a wall, they're lying. Their radical base that wants full un-restricted open borders with no enforcement is holding their feet to the fire to withhold wall money at all costs because it would be a political victory for Donald Trump.

The wall should have been settled 2 years ago but McConnell and Ryan pressured Trump to sign bullshit budgets with the excuse that they wanted to get on to their legislative agenda, about 90% of which failed.

The political conversation in the United States and the Democrat resistance to his attempts to ramp up enforcement has incentivized continued abuse of the asylum system and encouraged minor border crossings.

The radical left now sees that the asylum claims and family units uniquely stress the enforcement and detention capabilities. They hope that if they continue to fight deterrent efforts in court the administration will be left with no effort but to institute wide spread catch and release, which sends a signal to the rest of the region that the full scale stampede can truly begin.

Previous comprehensive bills have failed because the country wants to coalesce around something that involves strong enforcement first and then an amnesty down the line once the borders have tightened up and a bunch of deportations have happened, and a clear signal has been sent to the world that trying to sneak in doesn't pay. Elements of both parties have avoided offering such a legislative option, always trying to offer amnesty up front coupled with enforcement efforts that will probably die off in a few years.

The dirty little secret nobody wants to explain is a sizable population of illegal aliens is something elements of both parties always want to maintain. They don't want a day where they all get status and live completely above board. That's because the law would then require you to offer them a minimum wage, proper length work week, over-time, and whatever other benefits the federal state and local governments mandate. This is why a reform system that eliminates the possibility of another population of illegals replacing the ones we give relief to may never pass.
I recall reading an article that said Californian Agriculture would collapse without illegals picking.

Peanut Butter and JAM
The Following User Says Thank You to Hicklebunny For This Useful Post:
eharri3 (01-24-2019)
post #178 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
I still don't know what that means.

Iím sure you donít
post #179 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Thanked 5,989 Times in 2,784 Posts
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Quote:
I recall reading an article that said Californian Agriculture would collapse without illegals picking.
The strange thing is the left in this country is also pushing a doubling or tripling of the minimum wage. If government is going to do things that have a ripple effect throughout the economy, I am more OK that it's a result of enforcing immigration laws than a result of a bureaucrat in Washington DC making an arbitrary decision about wages that doesn't take free market efficiencies into consideration.

We have mushroom farms around me in one of our more affluent counties. One of my favorite ways of making a lefty's head explode when they complain about the effect all the raids have on prices is to ask what difference there'd be if someone waived a magic wand and created a 30 dollar wage floor on the farms.

Many of them would have no problem with the government telling small business owners tomorrow that they have to triple their lowest paid employee's salary, give them a year of paid leave for the birth of each child and healthcare, but they think armageddon happens if the agricultural industry has to pay a fair wage. Kind of confusing to me.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

Last edited by eharri3; 01-24-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #180 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
Miraculously, in 2016, literally over night, "sanctuary" cities popped up, democrats said it was immoral to put up barriers and it "sends the wrong message to the world about what America stood for" and suddenly it was only women, children and families seeking asylum.
And literally overnight, in 2016, the majority of the country was "not in favor" of a wall or more border security (according to democrats and all the ignorant lemmings that parrot their hypocrisy).
Apparently, the moment Trump took office, all human and drug trafficking stopped abruptly. All illegal crossing of the border stopped. No one has been murdered, raped, robbed, assaulted by or involved in a car accident with anyone who is not a citizen and here illegally.
So, apparently, over night, there's now no reason for border security. No one wants it and there's clearly no need for it.
There was for the last 20 yrs., under the last 3 presidents. But I guess the problem cleared itself up and everyone changed their mind.
Funny, I don't remember sanctuary cities a few years ago. I don't remember any caravans of 1000s traversing all of central America to get here. I don't remember anyone saying it was immoral to secure the border and I don't remember any media or news coverage of children being separated from adults while detained, after being apprehended while crossing illegally. I don't remember it being covered at all during Clinton, Bush, or Obama.
I thought maybe my memory was slipping.
But I don't feel bad now that I see how many other people don't remember any of that either.
Not only th last three presidents but congress as well, Nancy, Chucky, Feinstein, they all voted for a wall/fence and more border security.

Dems say walls don't work and it will only slow the illegals down, they say illegal crossings are at an all time low, I think we all should make the same analysis when we are talking about gun control as well, that should make them happy
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskawild For This Useful Post:
Wacked (01-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in