User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
3 ton harbor freight jack :s

What are your inputs on using the low profile Harbor Freight 3 ton jack on my 2015 Tundra 5.7l? This is the only jack I have and I don't wanna buying another one if I don't have too. My Tundra weighs a little under 6k pounds so I'm really pushing the limits of the jack already. It looked sketchy the last time I used it to rotate my wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmsw20 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
While a bigger jack would be better itís not like youíre lifting the whole truck so you arenít technically surpassing the jacks capabilities. I would however you jack stands regardless because jacks can still fail.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CodyP For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), OldGuy43 (01-05-2018), ottsville (02-18-2018), Powertechn2 (01-05-2018)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyP View Post
While a bigger jack would be better itís not like youíre lifting the whole truck so you arenít technically surpassing the jacks capabilities. I would however you jack stands regardless because jacks can still fail.
^^This.

Tire rotation is one of those tedious tasks, but I do it on my 2015. Owner's manual only shows front-to-back-to-front rotation, so I loosen lug nuts, get the whole side up onto jack stands, and then remove the wheels, swap positions, get 'em snugged and then off the jack stands.

I will NEVER rely on the jacking mechanism to hold the vehicle up while I'm working on it. The ONLY exception will be in a roadside tire change situation, and then I won't ever put myself under the vehicle while it's supported with a jack only.

2015 Double Cab SR5 TRD Off Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamRay For This Useful Post:
CodyP (01-05-2018), Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmsw20 View Post
What are your inputs on using the low profile Harbor Freight 3 ton jack on my 2015 Tundra 5.7l? This is the only jack I have and I don't wanna buying another one if I don't have too. My Tundra weighs a little under 6k pounds so I'm really pushing the limits of the jack already. It looked sketchy the last time I used it to rotate my wheels.

I use the same jack, you will be fine. I even made an extender for mine since it barely got my wheels off the ground with my lift. Northern tool sells some nice and tall 6t, I think, jack stands for a good price if you need some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmachinist For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), ottsville (02-18-2018)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
It's not load rating that will be the problem with your HF jack, or any floor jack for that matter.

If you're lifting one corner at a time (recommended, with jack stands), the jacked load will be less than one third of the jack's 3 ton rating. This DOES NOT consider that your jack may not have it's original rating due to age and wear. I suspect the more likely problem for your floor jack will be maximum jacking height at most frame jacking locations. My HF floor jack appears to have about 15"-18" maximum lift height.

The road clearance on a Tundra will probably require you add stable blocking to the jack lift platform if you want to jack on the frame; Or, you will need to jack only on "designated areas" of sprung suspension components; e.g. on lower control arms, rear axle housings, etc. Once the springs begin to stretch out on frame jack points, you'll likely run out of jack height before the tire is off the ground.

But, if you've rotated the tires once, you either realize this already, or were lucky in your choice of jacking points.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldGuy43 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,207 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have use my HF 3 ton on the Tundra for several years with only 1 problem, it leaks down slowly no matter what I do. I also use it on our Sprinter van which weighs about 8500#. Definitely use jack stands though!

07' SR5 DC, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps, ARE MX cap
AMP bed step, DIY underseat storage
Weathertech Floor Liners, Weathertech Vent Visors
Cooper Discoverer AT3s, Techstream

TWACC #7
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mendonsy For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), ottsville (02-18-2018)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,759 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Other than the gdamned handle pulling out of my hf jack, same 3 ton lp version, it is fine for my truck.

I jack up the rear at the center of the pumpkin, and the front I jack up each side on their own.

If I were doing an entire rotation I would use my hoist at work. Just easier.

I just use my jack to swap summer/winter setups.

If I did it again I would consider upgrading to their yellow fancy jack.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), ottsville (02-18-2018), ToyotasForever (02-18-2018)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I actually used two jacks, the 3 ton HF and a no name 2ton, when I rotated my tires for the first time because I was afraid the HF (cheap) might not be up to the task. I definitely need to get bigger jack stand this summer because I'll be installing a level kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmsw20 For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I use the 3-ton low-profile HF jack on my 2016 Platinum (20" wheels, stock suspension). While testing everything out for upcoming tire rotation, I found that the jack worked just fine (raises to 19 3/4"), but putting my Tundra on the HF 3-ton jack stands at the required jacking/support locations, even on their max height, resulted in the wheels touching the ground. Back to HF to get their 6-ton jack stands that have several more inches of height and I also picked up the Steel Floor Jack Cross Beam (Floor Jack Cross Beam). The cross beam attachment lets me adjust the pads to evenly jack-up the front end on solid points at the ends of the front cross member. I jack up the front end, slide the 6-ton stands (raised to three teeth showing) under the front frame support points, and lower the front onto the stands. Getting the original bolt loose from the saddle (10mm hex key and either a breaker bar or rubber mallet while bracing jack against garage wall) took a bit of doing, but it's now easy to switch between the two attachments.

The floor jack cross beam doesn't work for the rear, so I do a quick switch-out to the normal jack saddle, and raise the rear end under the pumpkin and slide the stands beneath the rear support points. For my truck, everything is level within a hair of perfect on the 6-ton stands with the front stands raised to three teeth showing and the rear stands at their lowest setting with no teeth showing. Wheels are off the ground and ready for impact wrench. I also added the rubber pads for jack stands (Rubber Pads for Jack Stands) to my 6-ton stands. Some pretty heavy whacks with a rubber mallet are needed to get those on, and they're on for good.

In case it helps anyone else, I found this universal saddle pad that fits the detents of the HF jack saddle: Jack Pad Universal. We don't need the frame rail cutouts for the Tundra, but the pad is better than putting a shop rag on the saddle.

The floor jack cross beam is rated for 2 tons and as others have noted, we're not picking up the entire weight of the truck at once. The instructions in the box list the 3-ton jacks as compatible with the cross beam, though the floor display model in HF, attached to a 3-ton jack, had a warning on it saying something to the effect of "for use on up to 2-ton jacks".

Good luck.

2016 Tundra Platinum, Brushed Stainless Steel Step Boards, RetraxProMX Tonneau Cover, BedRug Bedliner, paint protection film, ESP Plastic Under Seat Storage, Aries StyleGuard Floorliners, HitchSafe, center console organizer, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock MGMC #386
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lando622 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), ToyotasForever (04-17-2019)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I use a 3 ton Craftsman floor jack for my Tundra. It has a good jacking height so that is no problem. Whenever I am working on one of my vehicles (Tundra or VW) I always use jack stands, etc in addition to the floor jack.

BTW, I don't know about other vehicle brands but VW Owners (at least of a certain age) refer to the stock VW jack as a "widow maker". Sadly there is a reason for that based on what has happened when these jacks failed when someone was working on their car.

Charlie

2012 Tundra DC 4x4, 5.7L, Silver Sky Metallic, SR5 Pkg, Tow Pkg, OEM Towing Mirrors, Chrome Appearance Pkg, AM/FM/CD w/ MP3/WMA Playback, Rubber Flr Mats w/Door Sill Protector, A.R.E "CX" Cap, BedRug Bedliner, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller, Seatcovers, Westin 6" Oval Nerf Bars TWACCM #48

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlier For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), ToyotasForever (02-18-2018)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Cereal Killer
Premium Member

Thanked 62,598 Times in 21,379 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Floor jacks can be represented with an emoticon: .

I don't care about the environment. Neither do you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Creosote For This Useful Post:
ACDan (01-15-2018), MetalMonkey (01-06-2018), Powertechn2 (01-07-2018), riccnick (04-16-2019), Tundradrenalin (01-15-2018)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Related to this thread: I use a 20 year old Craftsman brand 3 ton floor jack. It too leaks down a bit. Jack stands: check. All-in-all not too bad of a self perform job.

Unrelated to this thread. But perhaps related to this thread (I have a 2017 4WD, 5.7L): the absolute, whole hearted USELESS Mama Toyota jack that comes with the truck. Jeesus Christmus. I keep a hydraulic bottle jack and a milk carton crate full of 2x6's and 2x4's in case I need to "jack it in San Diego" along side the roadways of 'Merica.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McGovTundra For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-06-2018), Powertechn2 (01-07-2018), ToyotasForever (04-17-2019)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 AM

Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,759 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovTundra View Post
Related to this thread: I use a 20 year old Craftsman brand 3 ton floor jack. It too leaks down a bit. Jack stands: check. All-in-all not too bad of a self perform job.

Unrelated to this thread. But perhaps related to this thread (I have a 2017 4WD, 5.7L): the absolute, whole hearted USELESS Mama Toyota jack that comes with the truck. Jeesus Christmus. I keep a hydraulic bottle jack and a milk carton crate full of 2x6's and 2x4's in case I need to "jack it in San Diego" along side the roadways of 'Merica.
Yea, the stock jack is useless unless you throw it through the passerby with a real jack in the bed hahaha.

Again, as for the jack, the HF 3 ton lp jack isn't bad. Mine doesn't leak down, neither does the used ass one at work.

Just the gdamned handle pulling out has screwed me twice. Once on my GN, once on my Tundra. Go to reposition and the handle pulls out.

For that reason alone, I would upgrade if I were looking at buying one and just buy the better SO equivalent supposedly jack.

At least the handle won't come out causing the control group to flip up and you have a jack stuck under your Grand National, or your Tundra.

I might just go bitch one day and see if they will swap me for an upgrade price. I mean, if you buy a good jack, you have it forever.

My jack I have wanted to throw across the driveway, but it was stuck under my car or truck at the time...

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 01-07-2018 at 02:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-15-2018), ToyotasForever (02-18-2018)
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Good to know I wasn't the only one using the low profile jack. Now I can be less worried of it failing before I can fit the stands under it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdmsw20 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-15-2018), Powertechn2 (01-14-2018)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
Floor jacks can be represented with an emoticon: .
I have found this to be true also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tundradrenalin For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (01-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in