Home Defense: What Do You Use? - Page 9 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 12,057 Times in 4,846 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertechn2 View Post
I got my first box of 9mm today for xmas lol.

Bought a .22TCM 1911 as a kit with the 9mm barrel/spring to swap. Hard to find 22tcm locally, and online it isn't cheap by any means. I can now shoot it cheap AF.
Very cool.
I was digging around for a 17hmr revolver the other day and saw some 1911s in 17HMR. My first response was...OOH!! I want one! Then reality set back in. WFT do I need a 17HMR 1911 for? (yeah, I still want one) hahaha

My daughter has access to a CNC milling machine through her high school robotics team. It's bad that I want to send her to school with a backpack full of 80% AR lowers to finish off for me, isn't it? Wait, is it? lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ASE Master Technician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

-
-
The Following User Says Thank You to socal57chevy For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:09 AM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
I actually really really love 17hmr as a round. I want an FN 5-7, but can't justify the cost for a pistol which doesn't fit my hands well, and is just literally uncomfortable to shoot to me. I am super accurate with them, but just doesn't feel right spending that amount of ching on a pistol I won't really like shooting.

That is what drew me to the 22tcm 1911. Price was great. Can swap barrels.
And it's a 1911... Super comfy shooting. My fav pistol is prolly the first 1911 I bought.

2000 fps with the .22 tcm, can swap barrels to 9mm, so it's a win win.

I still want a 5.7, but for the time being I am satisfied.

On the 80% lowers... I dunno. I looked into them, and for barely any more, or on par to a completed lower, I just went with a bunch of ready lowers.

If I were the type who had time, I would go with 80% lowers for the fun of it. But when you can get a completed one for the same, and you are short on time, why not...

I have even looked at the 80% Glocks, but by the time I complete it and spend my own time, no reason to do it.

Now if she wants to do a few for fun/learning, I would totally be all in. I still want a few for myself just to toy with.

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
socal57chevy (12-19-2016)
post #123 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:51 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Nope. But man, the paranoia is strong in that post!

I get that you can't relate to something that is outside with your experience. Nobody can. But answer this. Would you rather live what is left of your life in fear of what might happen, or truly not worry about it?
Life isn't simple. Not worrying about things doesn't make them go away. Being prepared doesn't make them happen either. What being prepared does is make the things that DO happen easier to deal with. How hard is this to understand? Your lifestyle works for you...for now. It is irresponsible and downright stupid to try to get anyone else to live like you.

2013 Tundra Doublecab SR5 5.7 4x4
Nestah Custom Firestick II, NFAB Sidesteps, Husky X-Act, BAMuffler SS w/Slashcut Tailpipe, 275/70/R18 Terra-Tracs, SABM.
post #124 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
If a would-be burglar has cushion stealing on his mind, he'd have to go through my attack dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0934.jpg (159.8 KB, 23 views)

Choose to chance the rapids. Dare to dance the tide.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobeast For This Useful Post:
post #125 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
summer carry G26 and winter G30. When home, G30 on my hip with G21 mag in pocket 24/7 until time to go to sleep.

Black 16'DC Tundra SR5/SR5 upgraded package acquired 4/15/16: NFAB W2W Nerf Bars, Truxedo LoPro bedcover, TRD rear sway bar, BedRug bed liner, 20% tint, BAM 8 Muffler system, TRD 18 OEM wheels. Fuel Mavericks 20s on Wildpeak AT3W. From Loudoun VA

Previous:93 FZJ-80, 97 4Runner SR5, 03 4Runner SR5 Sport

"Donít let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.Ē
The Following User Says Thank You to nova16tundra For This Useful Post:
post #126 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 36,679 Times in 18,170 Posts
Mentioned: 1590 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11644 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed_highdrag View Post
All hail Superman! I know you are devoid of all fear and even the hungriest of grizzlies purs at your feet like a kitty cat, but what if Lex Luthor comes into your house with some kryptonite anal beads? What then Clark?

The Hawke-Petit Murders, Manson Family Murders, Richard Speck killings, Night Stalker LA Murders, Newsome & Christian Rape/Murders, you know, no fear right!
he knows not what you speak of, for 30 years he's not had a TV which is a telecommunication medium used for transmitting moving images in monochrome (black-and-white), or in color, and in two or three dimensions and sound.

pretty damn amazing and pretty damn incredible someone doesnt have one..

yet he is still on this thing called the Internet which is the global system of interconnected computer networks that use the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide. And by most accounts one interacts with this internet thing via a Monitor, some would even call that screen a TV.. but lets not get technical.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragos28 For This Useful Post:
1lowlife (12-20-2016)
post #127 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Quote:
Life isn't simple. Not worrying about things doesn't make them go away. Being prepared doesn't make them happen either. What being prepared does is make the things that DO happen easier to deal with. How hard is this to understand? Your lifestyle works for you...for now. It is irresponsible and downright stupid to try to get anyone else to live like you.
I'm not trying to get anyone to "live" like me. But I thought a couple of you might be interested in a different perspective. A practical one, not theoretical. What you think of as the "real world" isn't as real as you think. If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail, etc.

I can relate better to people who want to be armed than the "pacifists" who think Big Daddy will keep them safe, and all our problems would go away if we just outlawed guns like most civilized countries. Spend any time in Central America? Outlawing guns hasn't worked out too well there. It wouldn't help here either.
post #128 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I'm all for firearm defense and preparedness and such but rather than obsess daily with dreamy combat scenarios of how I would handle some bad situation I decided instead it was better to lower my odds of being in that bad situation.

Go to any gun forum where they are talking about whether to carry one in the chamber or not, someone will eventually bring up a situation like what happened in Florida with the George guy. They will say that George got jumped and didn't have time to react etc so you need to be super prepared because you might not have time to load a round in the chamber first. It's all about being prepared right?

What hardly anyone mentions though is that George saw the guy with the hoodie and instead of calling the cops and leaving it at that, he decides to stalk the other guy at night leading to the whole bad situation. Sure if you are going to take the time to hunt someone down you would also likely chamber your round too and have the gun ready. However, if George was not an idiot he would not have even needed a gun at all. Just a phone.

A lot of times people make their own trouble and bad situations like the example above. The other times it's a matter of chance. If you live and spend most of your time in a good city and various decent areas, like not cruising the bars and rave clubs at 2am, your chances of needing a gun to defend your life drops to the odds of winning a lottery. So while it's good to prepare by keeping armed it's usually even better to prepare by not living in the ghetto and doing stupid stuff.

It's highly likely that you are going to die of something else. Heart attack, cancer, car wreck, shooting yourself, or dying from taking the wrong medication or medical error or sickness etc. Some gun enthusiasts I know are so paranoid about the 'what if' gun battle that they never pay attention to the other obvious stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sticky For This Useful Post:
post #129 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:11 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Garage
I decided to to get my CWP this year due to the ever changing society around us. I now carry where it is legal to do so.

"rruff" I can appreciate your outlook on why you dont feel the need to protect yourself with a weapon. Since you do not own, or watch a TV you may not be aware of all the innocent victims in the recent years murdered by Radical Muslims. These murderers continued to kill until someone with a gun showed up and stopped them. I dont want to ever be in that situation, or feel that kind of helplessness.
You can try to use your lack of fear all you want but you will not talk one of these nuts out of murdering you and your freinds/family.

But hey thats just me...

2016' CM Limited 295/60/20 TOYO Open Country AT, Moto Metal 940 Bilstien 5100 mid setting w/two CB shims each side
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skiddy For This Useful Post:
1lowlife (12-20-2016), Dragos28 (12-19-2016), lowspeed_highdrag (12-19-2016), rruff (12-20-2016), socal57chevy (12-19-2016)
post #130 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
I dont want to ever be in that situation, or feel that kind of helplessness.
I totally understand that. The only reason I quit packing was because I don't and wouldn't feel helpless.

I knew an attractive young woman who would regularly walk through the worst neighborhoods at night. She got a lot of attention, but no one ever bothered her. Very impressive. I understand what she was doing, but that's more balls than I've got.
post #131 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,421 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Quote:
Lol, the great scaredy-vaginas do the same for me.
Yep, I've received 5 thumbs down on this thread alone in the last 48 hours, but IDGAFF...

But I guess I owe @YoTundra an apology.
Seems like resurrecting this thread from the dead did provide many of us with entertainment, including him/her (gotta be PC).

So I'm sorry @YoTundra for fu(cking with you and I hope I didn't hurt your feelings and you will feel welcome among us assholes that like to do a little ribbing to each other.
Please be safe and make sure not to get your multiple caliber mags mixed up.
I know I don't....

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183
The Following User Says Thank You to 1lowlife For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-20-2016)
post #132 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
Yep, I've received 5 thumbs down on this thread alone in the last 48 hours, but IDGAFF...
I got you beat, man. Wanna race?
post #133 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:57 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,421 Posts
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I got you beat, man. Wanna race?
With your posts I bet you do....

But you got no thumbs down from me.....

^ This may not make sense since you don't own a television in this century and part of the last..

Just a heads up, what the 'real world' is depends on where you live and how you perceive it..
If you live out in the country, your world could perhaps be very easy going and feel safe.
If you live and work in a large metropolitan area, like Dallas, there are many more possible threats.
Yes possible, but real threats all around you.
Chances are slim to be threatened, but why be a sheep in a city full of wolves.

That comes for living in Dallas/Ft Worth for 54 years.
I'll be damned if I'm going to be in a situation wishing I had a firearm, instead of having one (or 2).

I learned long ago, be prepared, from my youth in the BSA.
It is very unlikely I'll ever need my firearm.
But the safety of myself and my family isn't something I'm going to risk on percentages.

Be safe @rruff , no matter how you perceive your world to be.

EDIT:
After going back and reading one of your posts of your experiences, I beg to differ, a lot of crime is random sh!t.
It is being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and being among others that want what you have or want to harm you.
This might have been planned by a psycho, but I bet these victims felt is was pretty fu(king randon their church was selected.
One gun in that congregation would have made a huge difference.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/cha...hurch-shooting

Learn it, know it, live it.
2014 Tundra Double Cab TSS SR5 5.7
Official Magnetic Grey Club # 305
Texas Tundra Group #183

Last edited by 1lowlife; 12-20-2016 at 01:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1lowlife For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-20-2016)
post #134 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
Just a heads up, what the 'real world' is depends on where you live and how you perceive it..
If you live out in the country, your world could perhaps be very easy going and feel safe.
If you live and work in a large metropolitan area, like Dallas, there are many more possible threats.
I've spent a good amount of time in cities hanging with homeless people and drug addicts. And a lot more time alone in the wilderness, miles from any human. Many people think both places are very scary.

The difference is this, what many people perceive as threats, I do not. The perception of threat isn't wrong, but neither is it necessary nor an accurate assessment of how the world "out there" really is.

I just looked and I've gotten 9 thumbs down in this thread in the last 2 days. You have some catching up to do!

Last edited by rruff; 12-20-2016 at 01:53 AM.
post #135 of 184 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:59 AM

Thanked 10,689 Times in 5,767 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
I have spent a great deal of my life living in lower quality areas.

All I can say is that due to my life/growing up, I have learned you are better to be ready to protect yourself and not need, than need to protect yourself and be un-prepared...

I put the Laughter in Slaughter, and the Fun in funeral.
KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...
Gone/not forgotten: 2010 CM RW that was sweet,
NOW: 2017 Platinum. Tinted, trd duals, Exo Grapplers. Led h-lights and interior, Hard hat tonneau, line-x, Rancho uca/level'd
I like weapons. I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in